How many of you actually use GFCI outlets? (POLL)

Do you use GFCI outlets and power strips?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
R

R2D2-15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My existing DT all outlets on GFIC, but for chillers and main pump they're on regular outlet, in case GFIC trips accidentally .

Screenshot_2019-08-23-14-46-56.png
nice setup, im assuming you had to build that, which makes me worry since im not sure id feel comfortable building or messing with electricity like that. i understand what you mean by it tripping from water coming into contact with it, but wouldn't it be equally effective just to have all the outlets far away are completely covered from coming into contact with water? also, how would one trip exactly without coming in contact with water? a couple people have posted saying some of them trip over the slightest things. So do they trip without coming into contact with water as well?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice setup, im assuming you had to build that, which makes me worry since im not sure id feel comfortable building or messing with electricity like that. i understand what you mean by it tripping from water coming into contact with it, but wouldn't it be equally effective just to have all the outlets far away are completely covered from coming into contact with water? also, how would one trip exactly without coming in contact with water? a couple people have posted saying some of them trip over the slightest things. So do they trip without coming into contact with water as well?
Its not water coming in contact. Ive had pump short out. And trip GFIC

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My life as well as my family’s lives or more important than my reef tank so I always switch every outlet used by the tank to a permanent gfci outlet.

In 5 years, 1 tripped one time when a section of tubing came loose and splashed the wall that one of the gfci outlets was on.

It did what it was supposed to do and I would never submerge any equipment in the water unless it is gfci protected.

Really a no brainer.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i imagine you have a lot more electrical gear though right? top off systems etc that need to be all plugged in? do you use a multi outlet powerstrip? unless you somehow have like 4 outlets in 4 foot radius....
I have 8 20amp outlets near my tank 4 are GFCI, 4 are normal. I had them installed. I have 3 computer controlled 6 socket powerbars that are plugged in. 2 go to GFCI 1 goes to regular. I also have a battery back up for my Aquarium computer. Everything is also on surge suppressors. Yes, lots of stuff is plugged in.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tower Manufacturing 30438024 Auto-Reset 15 AMP Inline GFCI Triple Tap Cord, 2 Feet, Yellow
by Tower
4.4 out of 5 stars 51 customer reviews

| 10 answered questions

Price:$27.95 & FREE Shipping

Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

• CONVENIENT 15 AMP GFCI – Perfect for use with 15 AMP grounded outlets and plugs.
  • DURABLE 3-PRONG CONNECTIONS – The cord features a NEMA 5-15P three-prong grounded plug and NEMA 5-15R receptacle.
  • OUTDOOR-TESTED PERFORMANCE - UL- and CUL-rated for safe outdoor use.
  • MEETS OSHA STANDARDS - Keep your workplace safe with this OSHA-compliant cord.
  • RUGGED ASSEMBLY - Created with a 12/3 SJTW cord for trustworthy operation.

immortl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search amazon for 'gfci cord'. There are several variations/manufacturers available.

Single outlet plug

Triple outlet plug

Both of those are said to be 'auto-resetting' in their description. This was called out to me as important when I was asking GFCI related questions. My understanding - traditional GFCI may trip when power is lost and remains tripped (off) when power is restored. Auto-resetting units will reset (turn on) automatically when power is restored after a power loss. Note - the auto-reset is related to independent power outage NOT a water/gfci event.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back