How many of you all have had an anemone that didn't make it?

Did your 1st anemone survive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I have gotten my 1st nem and its not going to well. I should have waited until the tank fully cycled before I added one but I was impatient and the lfs said I should be fine. I just wanted to ask how many of you all had their 1st nem die on you? and let me know your story in the comments.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 2 or 3 due to my tank being too new. The ones I purchased at around a year old are now still alive after 2 years.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my first anemone, but I also went in uneducated and bought a nem that wasn't holding onto rocks and its mouth was open. Bought a rainbow BTA a few weeks later, its been doing great even though the tank was only 3 months old when I added the anemone. Just added a speckled green BTA to a tank less than 2 months old and its doing great too. Alert the fish police :D

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I have gotten my 1st nem and its not going to well. I should have waited until the tank fully cycled before I added one but I was impatient and the lfs said I should be fine. I just wanted to ask how many of you all had their 1st nem die on you? and let me know your story in the comments.
Yes they are tricky especially early in my experience. I went to the Condylactis well , a few times, they always ended up lasting a few months and gonzo. Had better luck a few years later with rock flower Nems, they didn't seem as fussy, and my params were more in line/ tank more mature. Had 2 that lasted me about 2 years each. Then tried Sebae, it too was about a few months. Waited about 10 years and dove back in with Long Tentacle, had one for about 5 years, till it got badly chopped ( lesson learned there the hard way), and now one thats doing very well over a few years.

IMO wait longer than the cycle period. At least 6 months, they like steady parameters and a more mature tank will aid in providing that.

Back