How many of you are LAB TESTING your water parameters?

Are you LAB TESTING your water parameters?

• YES I do or have

Votes: 197 39.5%
  • NO

Votes: 148 29.7%
  • No, But want to in the future.

Votes: 149 29.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Compared to the study of seawater in environmental science, the science of aquarium water chemistry was largely unexplored and poorly understood.

Due to the lack of publications, money and technical opportunities this was considered an unattractive field of scientific research but for the reef keeper this level of understanding was, and continues to be, of vital importance.

The necessity of the reef keeper for more knowledge led us to take advantage of this opportunity. We created our laboratory and were the first to conduct scientific research in the field of aquarium water chemistry to an unprecedented level. - Triton Lab

1. How many of you are LAB TESTING your water parameters?

2. What do you like and dislike about lab testing?

1611764013193.png

Lab.png

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ati / now switching over to Triton
They have the regular test and the N-Doc organics
Unique Corals helped me go over my test , this was a big help

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent out a coral vue icp test for the first time Monday. Waiting for results on the edge of my seat.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done this yet but plan on sending one in this month just to see where I'm at with things as I plan to start throwing some tenuis in the mix and want to make sure I have all bases covered.
Parameters have been stabile for some time now. However I do notice my shrooms perk up after water changes. Gut feeling is telling me I'm lacking something that water changes are replenishing or there is something in my water that im unaware of that builds up between changes. Either way I'd like to know what it is so I can correct it.
Thats my theory anyway.

Acroalan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a Triton periodically to check trace elements that I cannot test for at home. My home test results for alk, ca., mag., come in pretty close to Triton, so I feel reassured about my home testing for those being fairly reliable. Over a few test cycles I notice my iodine seems to dip, so I'm going to start trying to figure out a regular dosing schedule to keep that stable.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't but if I start feeling like a tank crash is coming, or having any serious issues, I definitely will. Seems super helpful to identify some mysterious problems (eg too much aluminum or something).

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm. I can't speak for anyone else, so I am not sure how many of "us" do lab testing, but I, myself, do an ICP test every month.

What I like is the ability to know what my water parameter are, even the ones I cannot test for myself A couple years ago an ICP test identified the problem I was having with my tank. Things I would not have thought to check.

What I do not like is the long turn around time waiting for the results. I have tried 3 of the major players and so far they are all fairly similar. Therefore I stick with the ones that dont need to go half way around the world to be tested.

One more thing, I hope, I will like. There is a LFS in Tampa (Somewhere) that is going to start doing ICP testing. I am hoping it will be close enough for me to drive there and get INSTANT gratification.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use lab tests on a somewhat regular basis (they helped me catch a copper leach before it got to truly catastrophic levels), but I find the time lag on them more than a little annoying. An aquarium is an ever-changing system, with constantly fluctuating levels of a variety of different parameters. It's great to find out that my Calcium was 450 ppm two weeks ago... what is it now?

I see the value of lab testing twofold:

1) Verifying the accuracy of my own testing. If my tested values are wildly off from the ICP test, then I need to do something different.
2) Finding out about trace elements that are difficult to test for.

Outside of that, though - the turnaround time is just too long to really be running your tank off of it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never
I am not sure anyone has tested if they send 2 identical samples - how much variation there is in the results. In any case - the only solution to a 'high' level' is water changes - or some adsorbing material. Water changes are cheaper. I think the triton method is a great shaver/blade model - but - makes no common sense (to me). Never would use it - don't trust the results - and don't trust the significance of the results. I know they are a sponsor - but - just no not for me

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested mine with both Triton and now ICP-Analysis

What's strange is that the samples were taken about a week apart and the triton test said I had high Manganese and Tin levels and the ICP-Analysis had 0 ppm for both. Based on the Triton test I did run Cuprisorb in my Carbon reactor, but I'd be surprised if it took the amounts to 0 ppm in 1 water change and a few days of running cuprisorb.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tested mine with both Triton and now ICP-Analysis

What's strange is that the samples were taken about a week apart and the triton test said I had high Manganese and Tin levels and the ICP-Analysis had 0 ppm for both. Based on the Triton test I did run Cuprisorb in my Carbon reactor, but I'd be surprised if it took the amounts to 0 ppm in 1 water change and a few days of running cuprisorb.
Right

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im wondering how accurate the cheaper tests are compared to ati and triton. Had good experiences with those both. ATI is awesome but takes long

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and I like the accuracy of the test. Only thing I dislike about the lab testing is the turnaround time on the results... Takes forever it seems like to get your results...

210 Reef Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compared to the study of seawater in environmental science, the science of aquarium water chemistry was largely unexplored and poorly understood.

Due to the lack of publications, money and technical opportunities this was considered an unattractive field of scientific research but for the reef keeper this level of understanding was, and continues to be, of vital importance.

The necessity of the reef keeper for more knowledge led us to take advantage of this opportunity. We created our laboratory and were the first to conduct scientific research in the field of aquarium water chemistry to an unprecedented level. - Triton Lab

1611764013193.png

Lab.png
I use the Triton water sampling. I send in a sample every 2 months. I have done this 4 times now. I am happy with the results. I dont have any major issues but I do need to tweak my water with additives that the Triton water testing identifies. The testing also gives you easy to understand what additives to add and how much based on your water volumn. After 4 tests I now have a really good base line to work from. This testing gives me the confidence I need to know I am doing the right things. I have had a reef tank now for 2 years and so far all is well.

Attachments

• 16117806341987178764116702461912.jpg
    16117806341987178764116702461912.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 103

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the ATI test quarterly. I like that it does my RODI water as a fail safe and they have had someone on the board here answering questions about their process. They also provide some basic tank params like DKH so that I can sanity check my measurements. Seems good, but pricey. Hence, the quarterly use.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm. I can't speak for anyone else, so I am not sure how many of "us" do lab testing, but I, myself, do an ICP test every month.

What I like is the ability to know what my water parameter are, even the ones I cannot test for myself A couple years ago an ICP test identified the problem I was having with my tank. Things I would not have thought to check.

What I do not like is the long turn around time waiting for the results. I have tried 3 of the major players and so far they are all fairly similar. Therefore I stick with the ones that dont need to go half way around the world to be tested.

One more thing, I hope, I will like. There is a LFS in Tampa (Somewhere) that is going to start doing ICP testing. I am hoping it will be close enough for me to drive there and get INSTANT gratification.
Reef Masters in Bradenton FL just started doing testing

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a lab to test yet....brand new tank / setup but I intend to use a lab test before I start adding corals to my system. The turn-around time and the costs are discouraging but we shall see. A LFS near me is or recently has started doing testing. Their claim is that they will be able to guide tank owners to dial their tanks into the water parameters that match where their livestock originated from.

Back