How many of you dive or would like to dive a reef someday?

Are you a certified diver?

• YES

Votes: 323 46.5%
  • NO

Votes: 132 19.0%
  • No, but would like to get certified

Votes: 223 32.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.3%

• Total voters

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrified of the ocean so probably never, Maybe this is why I like tanks so much. I'm a great swimmer just something about all that open water makes me very anxious. I tried snorkeling once near a wreck in the Caribbean and didn't like it. I might be able to do it in a shallow lagoon with great visibility. I hope to get over the fear some day, and if I do, diving is next.
Well don't be. Hollywood wrecked a lot of people. When you are underwater you are part of it. Wild fish, and even animals wont bother you. I have had bears, lynx, and wolves/ coyotes all run as fast as they can when they spotted me. Everything just wants to be left alone. Remember. In the wild an injury for them means death. A coyote recently came and stayed in a small park close to our homes because it had a bad leg. It probably was kicked out of the pack, and did not want to be a meal. Its a very peaceful feeling. Snorkeling makes you feel exposed, underwater gives you that " under a warm blanket " feeling. You can spend all day diving at 30 to 40 feet with the bottom right there, and see everything you want to see. After about 50 feet the light does not penetrate enough for your eyes to see color. Also at that depth no worries about decompression times

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surf -slave. all the work and none of the pay! But Enjoy!
I live in the Keys so I spend a good amount of time in the water. Scuba certified but normally am free diving while spear fishing. I recently learned there’s mushrooms and zoas that grow here so I’m on a mission to find those! Seen plenty of mantis and pistol shrimp down here which are always fun to watch
I am jealous

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would very much like to get certified so I can dive. So far cost has been what keeps me from doing it, but one of these years I'm going to take my work bonus and go for it!
One thing I learned especially when it comes to any family you may have. If you don't do it now you will regret it later. There is always rental

justinloos2985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tobermory, you do the arabia? 120' deep. water temp 39 degrees year round.
we used to drive down from michigan to do our students o/w checkout dives.
salisbury quarry, west of maumee, until it closed with development.
and then portage quarry down near bowling green.
What’s in Salisbury quarry?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few really bad things happen around 15 years ago. To make a very long story sort, I got rid of my 7 tanks. Anyway I went scuba diving in Thailand, and I had to start again. My profile picture is one of the dive spots.

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get certified first consider Turnefee Caye in Belize. They can do C course there About a dozen miles off the coast -- one resort in the middle of nowhere. Lots of good simple coral and reef diving, and can sneak in an easy trip to the great blue hole vacate you were already halfway there . Great island five star food and good accommodations for those who stay back on the beach. And some of the best dive masters.
We were doing 4 tanks a day a few years back.. My son is master a diver and a bit younger than me. On top of that I still suck air. Our dive master figured us out first day, started loading me with a slightly over pressured tank and we would finish every dive like clockwork together. Also great diving ethics i thought
Awesome place!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back