How many of you dive or would like to dive a reef someday?

Are you a certified diver?

• YES

Votes: 323 46.5%
  • NO

Votes: 132 19.0%
  • No, but would like to get certified

Votes: 223 32.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.3%

• Total voters

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice list of destinations, I thought mine was big!
I am wondering if the impressive marine life in Red Sea has anything to do with what I have heard it is higher salinity than most places?

It could be though I haven't seen anything definitive on this. However I have dove in locations that come close in terms of abundance (such as the Maldives for example) but do not have the higher salinity that you see in the Red Sea...

One of the most striking aspects of diving in the Red Sea is the contrast between the hugely abundant life underwater and what you see when you surface: just desert, sometimes sand dunes right to the water's edge.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a "Bucket List" item for me. I would LOVE to dive the the worlds reefs. Starting with the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a "Bucket List" item for me. I would LOVE to dive the the worlds reefs. Starting with the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Did back in 2012. been told it can be sad now. (saw something similar in Hawaii this year them most beautiful corals I had ever seen (2013) gone when I visited last year. Natural occurrence they think, but incredibly sad.. I had to leave the spot.

Was suppose to be in Bermuda right now but Covid test requirement screwed up.

But on the bright side from May last year. Night manta ray dive. It was feeding on plankton attracted by the lights of the diverse. The ray was diving and swooping within inches of my face! Went onto about 15 minutes. Even got video of a 3 foot moray swimming up my leg.

Last edited:

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to dive on the reefs but I have a blood condition which prevents me from even considering it, not to mention a bit of surgery too, so alas I am stuck to snorkeling only.
If I could get near the warm reefs for a start that is :) the corals we have in the UK are near Scotland but they are cold water corals, bit too cold for me am afraid ;Cyclops

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor is a diver and over a couple of pop's we were comparing .........hobbies. When taking travel into account, his fix has me beat by a mile. Im headed to the Keys soon to sample the sport, or is it a hobby?
Either Or. A sport diver can only go about 100 feet, and avoids doing decompression. That is good enough believe me. At 100 feet you feel like you are in a vice if you are wearing a wet suit. No colors to be seen that deep anyway. From there it is endless

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got certified in 1990. AOW shortly thereafter. I find that it's a great excuse to go to really cool places for vacation.

I have a habit of prolonging my safety stops. I find that it is my own personal time to just let my mind wander - to just completely relax and let my mind go where it will.

I encourage anyone and everyone who might want to give it a try to DO IT! Is it for everyone? Nope, and that's ok too

Cave certified in 1998, but that was soon put on the back burner because my soon to be wife didn't thing it was such a great idea.

I've never had a "bad" dive, although a few were a bit dicier than I'd have preferred. My regulator freezing up at 110' at Gilboa Stone Quarry. Another diver deciding that it'd be a great idea to panic at about 80' with 3' of visibility, spit out his reg and try to play rocket ship to the moon. Got him stopped at about 30', where he came around and thought that breathing would, indeed, be a good idea. Another time, my dive buddy getting a little narked. I was in the lead, turned to check on him and found him on his knees in the muck staring blankly at his computer. He didn't have a clue. Helped him up to shallower water so his head could clear. It was his last dive.

All told, over 2000 dives and counting. I don't see water without thinking about what's down there to discover.

My only regret about diving? That I didn't get certified sooner.

Roatan, Honduras - my first dive trip - no u/w camera :-(
c2XYD2yl.jpg

San Salvadore, Bahamas There's really no feeling like going out over the edge of the reef and looking down a few thousand feet. Crystal clear water.
3hCUGCYl.jpg

my first shark!
GL9URYGl.jpg

Night dive
GBukqxTl.jpg

Sea of Cortez, out of La Paz, Mexico
Playing with Sea Lions has been on of the highlights of my life
0exOOf1l.jpg

Didn't even see this guy until I almost touched him!
XvHCpGRl.jpg

hafX2H8l.jpg

Florida Keys
Sometimes the little things are the best parts of the dive
YQYDWvml.jpg

and sometimes they're not so small!
8fD1PwRl.jpg

382kccOl.jpg

Bonaire, NA - the easiest diving anywhere
night dive
azGkyaol.jpg

zPgT94Pl.jpg

Tobermory, Canada - 5 fathoms Marine Park - Bring your drysuit!!!

A9We3Xol.jpg

hOGSJApl.jpg

Hawaii - yes, there's turtles!
AB6lHMql.jpg

I2K8jQml.jpg

ImpDt3gl.jpg
Its almost like we had mirror experiences. Had a guy who I was responsible for panic at 70 no visibility all I remember was chasing him around the wreck getting hit by his fins then the big deer eyes. I thought I was a goner. 3 Times equipment freeze ( cold water Canada ) Been abandoned I don't remember how many times ff idiots don't even know they are doing something wrong. This was all taking care of people for a dive master. The spookiest was on a night dive 2 miles off shore. My light failed no moon. Now I know what dark really is. My " buddy " was drinking beer when I got back. I had to go drink at a cabana with two German tourists that did not speak English to stop myself from choking him off ( for real ). I did photography and almost touched a stonefish just like you . Cool Photos mine are on slides ( Niconis ") in my day

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aren't regulator freeze ups the best.
Tobermory Ontario CA.
February.
nine inches of ice.
four hours on the ice waiting for my turn.
five minutes under the ice regulator freezes up.
my one and only ice dive.
and it was wet suit, before I bought my dry suit.
I live in Ontario. Tobamory was the spot. Was diving where the bottom was endless. Just swimming along thinking I was king. When this dude came up fro below with a dry suit, and pup tanks on him. He was cave diving on his own

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy free diving, but living in Pittsburgh I rarely get the opportunity. Any time I have a beach vacation coming up I start re-training months in advance for breath holding and such to extend how long I can dive. Not nearly scuba, but being able to check out sea life for a full minute or 2 is quite nice. or at least be able to dive down to 30 feet or so to see something out of reach to most. Went to Hawaii for my Honeymoon about 5 years ago and was out diving on the reefs every day for 2 weeks. One of my favorite memories :)
Careful of that called skip breathing can be risky

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certifiable at 21 Not bragging but is the most natural fit for me I have ever experienced. So never turn down a chance at something new. Did a lot of volunteer work for my store owner, and trip organizer. Lots of bad experience's but never lost anyone lol. Abandoned 3 times. Lots of freeze ups, and free flows. Which I noticed no one saying anything about a back up regulator. Panicked people Brain dead people and the worst arrogant rich people. Got one " lady" back though. Took her picture after a dive where she urinated in her suit ( which we all do ) and was removing and smelling her socks lol. Abandoned on a night dive 2 miles off shore once. Night diving was my thing ( certified ) it is a beautiful feeling. Plus all the critters you don't see in the daytime, or the eels that hide under the coral structure are all swimming free. Did photography but was film where you had to decide what lens to use that day. Only video was VHS cameras in a waterproof case. So all mine are on slides. When I started salt Aquariums I noticed a huge similarity to what we do. To me is just a miniature replica, as the reefs that I dove were 40 to 50 feet, One in 40 knot current. So I bear this in mind for lighting, and water flow. The reef tanks I see actually look like real reefs as to the rock structure. I live in Canada lots of wreck dives In Lakes Ontario, and Erie. Also the tobamory are. But one trip down south spoiled all that for me. Literally black and white in fresh water. Could never get anyone in my family going Wife could not even snorkel. One trip where I was doing 2 dives a day she decided to do wind surfing, and ended up on her way to Cuba. They were so mad at her that they threw her a rope, and dragged her back. So anyway still have all my stuff but got to the point where I was being selfish with three children. Tried to involve them. One with ear problems one chasing girls, and the third almost. Sorry to bore you brought back a lot of memories 67 now still might try

nmqtrhrse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us saltwater aquarium hobbyists have a fascination for the ocean and more specifically coral reefs! Seeing the fish and all the critters zooming around a coral reef is really inspiring to those of us who are reef keepers. But how many of you are actually certified divers and have you got to dive any coral reefs yet? Let's talk about it!

1. Are you a certified diver and how long have you been diving? Seen any cool reefs?

2. If you're not a certified diver now, would you like to get certified in the future?

PS. Show off some of your dive pics and videos!
bigstock-Scuba-Diving-on-a-Coral-Reef-w-26725130.jpg
1. Been certified since 1988. Best diving trips are 200 miles off the Great Barrier Reef Australia and Little Cayman Island. Have greatly missed it since Covid shutdown….refuse to get vaxxed so my diving may be no more if countries mandate.

nmqtrhrse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us saltwater aquarium hobbyists have a fascination for the ocean and more specifically coral reefs! Seeing the fish and all the critters zooming around a coral reef is really inspiring to those of us who are reef keepers. But how many of you are actually certified divers and have you got to dive any coral reefs yet? Let's talk about it!

1. Are you a certified diver and how long have you been diving? Seen any cool reefs?

2. If you're not a certified diver now, would you like to get certified in the future?

PS. Show off some of your dive pics and videos!
bigstock-Scuba-Diving-on-a-Coral-Reef-w-26725130.jpg
I’ve been a certified diver since 1988. I have been all over the Caribbean, Mexico, and the Pacific. My two most favorite places in the world to dive are 200 miles off the great barrier reef in Australia. There is a research vessel that goes out there/live aboard. It was amazing! Sharks everywhere! My second most favorite are the reefs around Little Cayman Island. I won’t be diving for a while now though because many countries are mandating the vax. So instead I have a Red Sea 250 peninsula.

Attachments

• B106CB4C-4EA2-4FEC-8C4F-DCE500CC98C4.jpeg
    B106CB4C-4EA2-4FEC-8C4F-DCE500CC98C4.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 0A7DF53F-C72B-4AC2-A754-AD85922C0043.jpeg
    0A7DF53F-C72B-4AC2-A754-AD85922C0043.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 25
  • D057B004-8E28-4249-988A-D429BA1DF279.jpeg
    D057B004-8E28-4249-988A-D429BA1DF279.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 19DDF336-526F-4F0B-9AFC-A99CD41CB2E7.jpeg
    19DDF336-526F-4F0B-9AFC-A99CD41CB2E7.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 24

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only resort certified and have only ever dove the Carribean around Jamaica……..but I absolutely love it. My ultimate dive would be on a reef somewhere. My wife won’t go so even on vacation it ends up being those half baked 15~ 20 foot resort group dives. But as we get older - read: kiddos have flown the nest - we travel more and more diving is bucket list stuff. Lol.

xcountryx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been certified since 2014. Found out my 2nd year in I was sold a regulator only good for Caribbean water (I live in Ohio) reg froze on me at 70' down at white star quarry. I actually have this on vid on YouTube. Since then I replaced the reg. My bucket list dive would be Great Barrier reef of course. I've dove U boats off north and south Carolina.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only resort certified and have only ever dove the Carribean around Jamaica……..but I absolutely love it. My ultimate dive would be on a reef somewhere. My wife won’t go so even on vacation it ends up being those half baked 15~ 20 foot resort group dives. But as we get older - read: kiddos have flown the nest - we travel more and more diving is bucket list stuff. Lol.
Do what I did leave her on shore xxxx. Like I said mine went windsurfing, and was on her way to Cuba

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor is a diver and over a couple of pop's we were comparing .........hobbies. When taking travel into account, his fix has me beat by a mile. Im headed to the Keys soon to sample the sport, or is it a hobby?
I don’t scuba dive, but do love to snorkel, I consider both to be hobbies. I would say a sport is something you can do competitively. i have never heard of a scuba or snorkeling competitio.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t scuba dive, but do love to snorkel, I consider both to be hobbies. I would say a sport is something you can do competitively. i have never heard of a scuba or snorkeling competitio.
Free diving is a sport. They also have snorkel and dive races. So, sort of can be a sport lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back