How many of you dive or would like to dive a reef someday?

Are you a certified diver?

• YES

Votes: 323 46.5%
  • NO

Votes: 132 19.0%
  • No, but would like to get certified

Votes: 223 32.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.3%

• Total voters

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either Or. A sport diver can only go about 100 feet, and avoids doing decompression. That is good enough believe me. At 100 feet you feel like you are in a vice if you are wearing a wet suit. No colors to be seen that deep anyway. From there it is endless
Either Or. A sport diver can only go about 100 feet, and avoids doing decompression. That is good enough believe me. At 100 feet you feel like you are in a vice if you are wearing a wet suit. No colors to be seen that deep anyway. From there it is endless
Certifiable at 21 Not bragging but is the most natural fit for me I have ever experienced. So never turn down a chance at something new. Did a lot of volunteer work for my store owner, and trip organizer. Lots of bad experience's but never lost anyone lol. Abandoned 3 times. Lots of freeze ups, and free flows. Which I noticed no one saying anything about a back up regulator. Panicked people Brain dead people and the worst arrogant rich people. Got one " lady" back though. Took her picture after a dive where she urinated in her suit ( which we all do ) and was removing and smelling her socks lol. Abandoned on a night dive 2 miles off shore once. Night diving was my thing ( certified ) it is a beautiful feeling. Plus all the critters you don't see in the daytime, or the eels that hide under the coral structure are all swimming free. Did photography but was film where you had to decide what lens to use that day. Only video was VHS cameras in a waterproof case. So all mine are on slides. When I started salt Aquariums I noticed a huge similarity to what we do. To me is just a miniature replica, as the reefs that I dove were 40 to 50 feet, One in 40 knot current. So I bear this in mind for lighting, and water flow. The reef tanks I see actually look like real reefs as to the rock structure. I live in Canada lots of wreck dives In Lakes Ontario, and Erie. Also the tobamory are. But one trip down south spoiled all that for me. Literally black and white in fresh water. Could never get anyone in my family going Wife could not even snorkel. One trip where I was doing 2 dives a day she decided to do wind surfing, and ended up on her way to Cuba. They were so mad at her that they threw her a rope, and dragged her back. So anyway still have all my stuff but got to the point where I was being selfish with three children. Tried to involve them. One with ear problems one chasing girls, and the third almost. Sorry to bore you brought back a lot of memories 67 now still might try

Ok show off :p..... I started diving on the morning of the second day, the oceans hadn't been developed yet. We held our breath and carried conch shells full of air to the bottom -- had a metal j valve attached to the shell -- that was your "Oh ****, I is out of air" answer -- an emergency three minutes at thirty feet. certified June 1977

As for close calls , I use to do dumb and stupid. Got certified so my caving/rock climbing buddy and I could drop a sixty foot sink hole into a cave, haul our gear half a mile through cave passage and then clear some unexplored flooded passage just the other side of this underground pond.....

But as I have aged I have settled on dumb, and given up stupid. Diving is a blast if you stay in your limits . I have done hundreds of dives and still no certification greater than open water diver. Some of that is purposeful, keeps me from thinking I know more than i do.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.04.21 PM.png

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t scuba dive, but do love to snorkel, I consider both to be hobbies. I would say a sport is something you can do competitively. i have never heard of a scuba or snorkeling competitio.
Tell that to my nephew who dives with nitros oxide, Master diver was a captain on an oil rig boat in the north sea. And dove on rigs . I guess your right not a hobby. Snorkeling is like looking through the glass of your Aquarium . This is not an insult is an accurate comparison

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only resort certified and have only ever dove the Carribean around Jamaica……..but I absolutely love it. My ultimate dive would be on a reef somewhere. My wife won’t go so even on vacation it ends up being those half baked 15~ 20 foot resort group dives. But as we get older - read: kiddos have flown the nest - we travel more and more diving is bucket list stuff. Lol.
Get certified first consider Turnefee Caye in Belize. They can do C course there About a dozen miles off the coast -- one resort in the middle of nowhere. Lots of good simple coral and reef diving, and can sneak in an easy trip to the great blue hole vacate you were already halfway there . Great island five star food and good accommodations for those who stay back on the beach. And some of the best dive masters.
We were doing 4 tanks a day a few years back.. My son is master a diver and a bit younger than me. On top of that I still suck air. Our dive master figured us out first day, started loading me with a slightly over pressured tank and we would finish every dive like clockwork together. Also great diving ethics i thought

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok show off :p..... I started diving on the morning of the second day, the oceans hadn't been developed yet. We held our breath and carried conch shells full of air to the bottom -- had a metal j valve attached to the shell -- that was your "Oh ****, I is out of air" answer -- an emergency three minutes at thirty feet. certified June 1977

As for close calls , I use to do dumb and stupid. Got certified so my caving/rock climbing buddy and I could drop a sixty foot sink hole into a cave, haul our gear half a mile through cave passage and then clear some unexplored flooded passage just the other side of this underground pond.....

But as I have aged I have settled on dumb, and given up stupid. Diving is a blast if you stay in your limits . I have done hundreds of dives and still no certification greater than open water diver. Some of that is purposeful, keeps me from thinking I know more than i do.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 3.04.21 PM.png
I did not have the luxury when I started. Needed 2 hands when I was diving for sponges of Cape Horn. That was after Nam. My memory is so good I remember going to a dance with my Father, and coming Home with my Mom. Wouldn't they let you smile?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for close calls , I use to do dumb and stupid. Got certified my caving/rock climbing buddy and I could drop a sixty foot sink hole into a cave, haul our gear half a mile through cave passage and then clear some unexplored flooded passage just the other side of this underground pond.....

Okay. I have a close call to share. Keep in mind I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

So, my buddy and I were diving in the Marianas. No wet suits. Jeremy thought it would be a good idea to chase an octopus across a sandy bottom. It would ink, travel a few yards, stop, take off, ink, and repeat. It really wasn't that big. Jeremy was in front of me, so I'm not sure how he managed it, but the next thing I knew, the octopus was on his chest with his arms pinned to his sides. It had removed his regulator and mask.

I got his regulator back in his mouth and started trying to remove the arms. These guys are incredibly strong! The little bugger tried to get my regulator too, but I bit down hard and managed to keep it. Anyway, even though the ordeal seemed to last forever, it was probable no more than 20 seconds. He finally let us both go and took off.

We actually finished the dive, and when we got back to the beach, we were both covered in tiny round hickeys. While it sounds pretty scary, I never was too worked up. It was actually a real cool experience. Won't chase another octopus though.

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell that to my nephew who dives with nitros oxide, Master diver was a captain on an oil rig boat in the north sea. And dove on rigs . I guess your right not a hobby. Snorkeling is like looking through the glass of your Aquarium . This is not an insult is an accurate comparison
I did not have the luxury when I started. Needed 2 hands when I was diving for sponges of Cape Horn. That was after Nam. My memory is so good I remember going to a dance with my Father, and coming Home with my Mom. Wouldn't they let you smile?
:) And that is my happy face. Only show teeth when I am ready to use them.

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, my buddy and I were diving in the Marianas. No wet suits. Jeremy thought it would be a good idea to chase an octopus across a sandy bottom. It would ink, travel a few yards, stop, take off, ink, and repeat. It really wasn't that big. Jeremy was in front of me, so I'm not sure how he managed it, but the next thing I knew, the octopus was on his chest with his arms pinned to his sides. It had removed his regulator and mask.

I got his regulator back in his mouth and started trying to remove the arms. These guys are incredibly strong! The little bugger tried to get my regulator too, but I bit down hard and managed to keep it. Anyway, even though the ordeal seemed to last forever, it was probable no more than 20 seconds. He finally let us both go and took off.

We actually finished the dive, and when we got back to the beach, we were both covered in tiny round hickeys. While it sounds pretty scary, I never was too worked up. It was actually a real cool experience. Won't chase another octopus though.
Don't be chasing Octopus
Limited ink and they are pretty defenseless for the rest of the day. I have been lucky to see and play with some free swimming octopus. But know your limits. they are likely smarter than you.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently waiting …..

Started the open water course through padi but with a Covid starting , and waiting for Covid to clear enough for my wife to get medical clearance from her doctor .
Diving has been put on the back burner for the time being .

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just read last week a couple of guys were diving off Nova Scotia swallow dive low visibility. Had a visit from a female great white ( was just curious ) Was proven, as she was tagged. There underwear is on ebay

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lucky you. They have a beak apparently which can do some real damage I heard

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently waiting …..

Started the open water course through padi but with a Covid starting , and waiting for Covid to clear enough for my wife to get medical clearance from her doctor .
Diving has been put on the back burner for the time being .
Don't stop it is a beautiful thing. Don't go diving here too cold your wife wont like it.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve wanted to check out a few places such as tobemory .
Lake simcoe could have a few interesting treasures , but I agree … it’s cold
Don't know about Lake Simcoe Tobemory is beautiful. Can have a god time there not just diving. You can dive shallow wrecks or off the lighthouse where it is super deep, and caves , rock structure that is assume but again cold at first

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whish I was still young enough to just do it. Getting old sucks
Modify modify .... when i was in hawaii doing that manta dive I videoed above... I hit the water on two other dives that week and just exited. Got some copd and have to ramp up my activity or I aint gonna do it.

Too much time the surface struggling in chop is enough for me to a call a dive. I ain't gonna huff and puff -- and will just exit so i live to dive another day.

Cost me two out of twelve tank dives in Hawaii last time. But I had a blast on the ten other ones. And my usual dive buddy (my son) knows my approach and by pre agreement will just team with the dive master if I need to do an exit.

Modify modify! One of the reasons I love Beleize is everything is pretty much 25 to 45 feet. Great light calm waters low current . Made for calm diving!!! And I have done some good stuff in the last decade including the GBR and Hawaii a couple times and the great blue hole..... and Bens Cavernand the Bahamas generally and Costa Rica and snorkeling the Galapagos (rupture ear drum limited dive) ....and .... and.....

So old don't mean over!

( I take the same approach with my horses now. I have ridden alone in the woods for over 20 years, usually not more than a couple miles from folks (Adirondack Mountains), but in spots where nobody is likely to pass by unless they are part of a search party. Broke a bunch ribs each side couple decades back - different versions of being horse stupid -- and was able to self rescue. But I aint up to that anymore. So I don't go as far or fast anymore. And now I wear a hit-air vest when i ride. (A co2 exploding vest that is triggered if the loop attached to my saddle horn and I should separate by more than about 24 inches. Enough they say to protect a few bones.) Haven't gone off a horse in the five years I have been wearing the vest but I am still making the rides.)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Absolutely correct. My suit has shrunk though lol. But still have a lifetime guarantee on my Dacor gauges drives them crazy. Got a brand new replacement on my set that activates at 10 feet. Lent them to a friends son to do his check out once, and they did not work. A little embarrassing

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my stuff had Cousteau's picture on it. I think he personally built my dive gear. :)

I think it was US Divers.

I started when some people were still using two hose regulators.

Back