How many of you guys are keeping cleaner shrimp?

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank mates! Super friendly. Mine will come to the glass and try to interact with me when I check on the tank late at night when everything else is asleep. They also clean the fish. Only one fish in my tank, starry blenny, won't have any of it. Lol... And when I had a pair, they regularly bred. The fish ate all the babies in a matter of minutes but I am sure it was highly nutritious for them. Kinda felt bad for mom and dad though. Would have tried to breed them but apparently it is still not really doable.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank mates! Super friendly. Mine will come to the glass and try to interact with me when I check on the tank late at night when everything else is asleep. They also clean the fish. Only one fish in my tank, starry blenny, won't have any of it. Lol... And when I had a pair, they regularly bred. The fish ate all the babies in a matter of minutes but I am sure it was highly nutritious for them. Kinda felt bad for mom and dad though. Would have tried to breed them but apparently it is still not really doable.
How do they have the babies ,, eggs or live birth

leighla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool to see in the tank and mine do clean the fish.
My lemon peel angel begs them to clean her, she’s like a puppy getting rubbed. There is literally a waiting area where the fish hang out waiting for a turn.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool to see in the tank and mine do clean the fish.
My lemon peel angel begs them to clean her, she’s like a puppy getting rubbed. There is literally a waiting area where the fish hang out waiting for a turn.
Same thing with my seahorses,, like a car wash

WH1TE Z0MB1E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 cleaner shrimp and a Fire shrimp and the fire shrimp does more fish cleaning than the cleaners do which is still minimal, but they all have personality and I enjoy them as much as my fish. They will all eat from and jump on my hand if I have to get it in the tank and they are greedy around coral but I can’t imagine them not being in there. Their molting probably adds more to the tank nutrients than anything else they do, but they are also very efficient scavengers.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just want you all to know that I picked up one of these guys on Saturday thanks to your posts. ;Happy;Hilarious

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool inverts. However, I am not adding them into my tank because I have wrasses and they steal foods from corals.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp ruined it for me. I won't feel comfortable having any types in my tank now, I know they would be in my acans, nems, and lobo anytime I try and spot feed them.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two and pretty regularly I see various fish being cleaned by them. I only started seeing that when I upgraded to a bigger tank. In my old 250l tank I didn't see that behavior.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, dances to any song..lol
IMG_20200907_154534.jpg
This is actually a really great picture

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them in my tanks. I think they do serve a purpose and people viewing the tank really like to see the shrimp:)

PapaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our cleaner shrimp. He is kind of like puppy - the moment I walk to the tank, he is right here by the glass and begs me to stick my hand inside - then he starts cleaning it :)

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had two. The first one was great. Had lots of personality. Hardly ever stole food from corals. Perfect pet. The one I have now is pretty annoying. It quickly learned to be a coral food thief. If I go stand by the tank to watch things it goes right over to my corals and stands in them waiting for food to steal. It’s purpose appears to be annoying the corals.

ACReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner shrimp that steals food and walks all over my acans a real pain,but he is a beautiful invert. Keep him or trade him in?

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had them. They are fun to watch and always active. Always cleaning something and eats everything in the tank. It has also cleaned my tang and coral beauty on occasion. Definitely entertaining.

Davedave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't imagine a tank without one. They are very active and neat to have crawling on you (hand in tank = new adventure for them). I would agree they are piglets and do steal food. They don't care if its from a fish or a coral. Mine -> Yoink!.
Have not been able convince either of mine to crawl on my hand but I have done it with shrimp while snorkeling and while diving, got lucky to get an octo to crawl upon my head

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back