How many of you guys glue corals to your back glass and/or overflow? (Please post pics if you've got

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by mdbannister, Sep 24, 2014.

1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I recently saw a tank where the guy had acros glued to his back glass, and I started thinking this might be an excellent way to make full use of real estate. I currently have montis glued to my overflow (I'm traveling now, but I'll get pics of them when I get home from this trip). How many of you guys glue corals to your back glass and/or overflows? What types of corals and where do you put them? What other cool ideas do you guys have for conserving/maximizing real estate?

Please post pics if you have them!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Tags:

2. mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2 Valuable Member

I was thinking about doing this to my black background with zoas. My friend has about 3/4th of his back wall covered in GSP. I would not recommend it, but it looks so nice...

3. saltyphish

saltyphish Certified Sand Groomer R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

I am planning on glueing some gsp to the back wall of my tank.

4. Trex

Trex Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

From many many years ago. (( might try it again when I have the 210 up and running ))

[​IMG]

Also had some digi on the back wall,

[​IMG]

When I started them --- had to trim back the purple one often,

[​IMG]

Digi on the back of the 58.

[​IMG]

Not a great pic, but can see some of the digi on the back wall of my old 75,

[​IMG]

Rick.45cal likes this.
  5. goodtimes

goodtimes Valuable Member

I've run out room and have been considering aqua-mags or maybe diy some smaller rocks to stick on the back wall. I am fool owing along to get some ideas.

6. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Awesome ideas and I love the pics!

7. o2manyfish

o2manyfish Well-Known Member

When I built my tank I glued slab rock onto the back wall so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping it clean. Tank is 8' long and the rockwork on the left 4' goes from the front to the back wall of the tank. But the aquascaping on the right side of the tank consists of a freestanding pillar and island. So the back wall of the tank is visible.

Over the years I have glued all kinds of stuff to the back wall. I haven't done much with acros, as the tank is 33" from front to back things on the back wall can't really be seen in detail. But I have grown large monti colonies, done the GSP, done lots of zoas.

On the current stint with the tank I have Monti Caps, zoas, GSP, Frogspawn and a couple of acro frags.

No pics cause I am at work. But after 4pm Pacific time you can take a peek on the webcam and zoom in to see the life on the back wall of the tank.

o2manyfish's Live & Controllable Webcam - Enjoy

Dave B

8. mdbannister

Thanks guys! Great pics! I'm loving the webcam too! I want to set up one of those soon.

9. o2manyfish

o2manyfish Well-Known Member

The webcam is great. I use it all the time. It's been up for a long time and I have viewers from around the world 24/7 on it - Which is kind of neat. If you want one, you definitely get what you pay for. So I you buy a $69 camera online you won't get the same results. So do some shopping and buy a few different ones with easy return policys to test. Mine has great auto white balance which is important because are tank lights are all really blue compared to what these cameras were designed to record ( a standard flourescent lit room, or outside).

Dave B

10. goodtimes

How many of you guys glue corals to your back glass and/or overflow? (Please ...

Today I tried to super glue a small shelf piece of rock to my back wall. It failed as expected. I guess magnets are the trick.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  11. freeweelin4

freeweelin4 Member

what kind of adhesive did you use and installed wet or dry or both??

12. goodtimes

How many of you guys glue corals to your back glass and/or overflow? (Please ...

I used superglue gel with dry rock but the tank filled. I didn't think it would work but I had to try it.

13. ritter6788

ritter6788 Coral Fraud Private Eye Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

I have my overflow almost covered in sunset monti and orange cap. There are a lot of vermetids in my sunset monti and I can't kill them so I glued ponape birdsnest in their tubes. Likely the monti will kill the birdnests but it will give the sunset a branching look and add some depth to the overflow. I'm trying to cover the back glass in gobstopper palys.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411761128.915842.jpg

14. will2629

will2629 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] this is my 24 jbj

15. got2envy

got2envy hello fishy fishy

I am all about saving space in a small tank lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My montis when I first put them on the frag mags...and my PD, Nuke greens and Capt. Americas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ReeferMaddness843 likes this.
  16. FishnFriendz

FishnFriendz Member

Hi Ritter6788,
    Your tank looks so beautiful, may I ask how you glue your corals o the back glass or overflow ? Thanks...

17. ritter6788

ritter6788 Coral Fraud Private Eye Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Thank you. The ones I have on there now where simply superglued. Sunset monti grows fast enough it doesn't take long to attach itself to the glass. BRS sells a magnetic frag plug that will hold a frag to glass better than superglue gel. For a slower growing frag I recommend those. They are fairly strong and hold a heavy colony if needed. I had one hold up a whole acro colony, I took it down and sold it before it could grow onto the glass though.

[​IMG]FTS 1/26/14 by ritter6788, on Flickr

I used epoxy to attach the coral to the plug then used the magnet to attach it to the glass.

18. Fieryfrog

Fieryfrog Well-Known Member

Following along. I have thought about this for some time now.

19. geef64

geef64 Member

Got2envy. How did you attach the rock to the glass

20. got2envy

got2envy hello fishy fishy

They are called rock mags from aqua-mags.com

BringingThatDottyback likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted