How many of you guys have Starphire Tanks with scratches?

AlvaradoL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Just wondering if you guys also have scratches on your tanks that bother the heck out of you? Do any of you guys have any ways of hiding them?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I have a Marineland 200DD, front glass is starphire. It's a much softer glass, due to a lower lead content, so it does scratch easier. I scratched it, while using a razor blade and NOT having it perfectly flat. My own fault. It's completely visible, to me, because I know where it is. No one else notices it. I've never scratched it, using Magfloats or my new Hammer head algae magnet.

It's enough that I'll never pay more, for a starphire tank, in the future. IMO, I can't tell a difference anyway, even when shooting photography, through the sides, which are standard glass, or front. I do think, if you had a huge tank, with 1" or thicker glass, you'd be able to tell a difference.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I laid down some nice scratches in my 240 about a month after I got it. I see em everytime I look in that direction.
Then I was cleaning silicone off the front pane of a new tank I made with starfire and scratched it as well.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean all of my starphire glass with a credit card, yes it's a pain but there is virtually no chance of my scratching the glass with it.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one small scratch during setup and its drove me nuts ever since. Now Im really careful and its been fine. +1 to the credit card, works great.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have starfire, but one thing that helps hide the scratches is cleaning the inside of the tank with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. It will clean out any algae growth within the scratch and make it substantially less noticable.

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have starfire, but one thing that helps hide the scratches is cleaning the inside of the tank with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. It will clean out any algae growth within the scratch and make it substantially less noticable.

I have a scratched starfire also..and the Mr. Clean magic eraser is all I now will ever use.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chemicals in it. Just has a msds due to choking hazard

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is made out of starphire and have made 3 small scratches when I first got it. Really irritated me but you cant see them unless I show you where they are. Since then I use a plastic blade or a plastic paint scraper and it works very well. I wont be at risk of making and more scratches. It does require a little more elbow grease but well worth it. Oh I still feel you scratch acrylic a lot easier than starphire though.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO and from my experience all the hype that starphire scratches easier is a bit overstated. I have two starphire tanks and would not hesitate to buy another. The low iron glass is awesome for viewing and I use a Hammerhead magnet for several year with no issues. I also use a standard Kent scraper with metal blade and again no issues.

I did scratch the outside of my 180gl sps tank due to stupidity when I did not realize that a metal razor blade was stuck to the outside magnet when I went to go clean my tank. It caused two scratches that I am ticked off about, but it was because of human error, not the innate nature of starphire glass.

HTH

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree i am on my third starphire tank that starphire do not scratch that easy if you are careful. I use a mag float with a easy blade for coraline algae and a magnavore 6 er for daily cleaning. One thing I do is I never leave the mag cleaners in the tank I noticed if I leave them in there tiny snails will start to gather on the wet side of the cleaning magnets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do is I never leave the mag cleaners in the tank I noticed if I leave them in there tiny snails will start to gather on the wet side of the cleaning magnets

+1 always take it out for several reasons........

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back