How many of you guys use colored lens filters for your reef photography?

Do you use colored lens filters in your reef photography?

• Yes! I love these! Super helpful! (Post in the thread to tell us which one you use.)

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Yep. I view them as a necessary evil for my photography.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • No. I've actually never tried them (but I might).

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • Nope. I've tried them but they weren't for me.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Other (Post in the thread)

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you guys use colored lens filters for your coral/reef photography?

Photo by Charlie's Frags
2 - lens - Charlie’s Frags .jpeg

These filters can be really helpful (especially for those of us who aren't as good at "dialing in" camera settings to correct the blue hues in our reef photos). Here's an interesting article that helps to explain what happens with light and photography in underwater settings and why these filters are so helpful: COLOR CORRECTING FILTERS FOR UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY

Here's a video that shows what these can do:

What do you guys think? Have you found these to be helpful? Which ones do you like best?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the time of day I am shooting and what kind of pictures I want to take. At my peak white, I generally do not use any filters and just make post edits in lightroom adjusting the color temperature. If I am shooting in very heavy blues, I will use the new 55mm orphek lens kit. I have a step up adapter that allows me to use it with my a6000.

I also have tiffen's orange filter (forgot the exact model), but I am not a huge of it. I feel like the orange is way too strong compared to the orphek kit and creates artificial color pop

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap set from Amazon. Not sure of the brand. I gave up photography a few years ago so all my nice equipment is gone. When I used a dslr I would just create a custom WB using a white card. Now that I'm just using a phone filters it is. I sometimes use orange sometimes yellow and other times I stack them. I've recently found that using pro mode on my S21 and adjusting the WB works as well if I can it better that the filters tho.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do i have the Orphek 52mm kit for phone use and it makes a huge difference. Like night and day difference lol. I like the kit but my wife seems to think its hers to show off our tank to all her friends lol either way win win i guess. Wasnt too expensive either which is good in this hobby.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 52m.m. filter bowers m55d for my Nikon d90 if I take pictures with it.
If i use my phone i just shoot through a lenses of my reef viewing glasses.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them depending on how much the blue light is washing out the subject. If i cant get the color right by adjusting white balance then i use the filters

Vasudeo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lenses help capture the glow of the coral we see and want to share what we see with fellow reefers

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an app called Aquarium Cam that allows you to more pin point the effects your looking for. Love it you guys should check it out. Small fee but totally worth it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still trying to take regular photos well. Once I get that down I may add another layer of complexity.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an inverse bow front tank.. a photographic nightmare.. but with wide angle lenses (e.g 40-50mm) it is managable and with lightroom you can fix the color temperature

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by Charlie's Frags

These filters can be really helpful (especially for those of us who aren't as good at "dialing in" camera settings to correct the blue hues in our reef photos). Here's an interesting article that helps to explain what happens with light and photography in underwater settings and why these filters are so helpful: COLOR CORRECTING FILTERS FOR UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY

What do you guys think? Have you found these to be helpful? Which ones do you like best?

No, I just place my cheap UV glasses over my phone’s lens. It works well enough.

dlaird76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by Charlie's Frags

Found this video very helpful, especially the editing techniques to use for a beginner. Gonna give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back