How many of you have at least one Wrasse in your reef tank?

How many of you have at least one Wrasse in your reef tank?

• Yes I have at least one wrasse in my reef tank.

Votes: 477 71.4%
  • No I do not.

Votes: 76 11.4%
  • No but I will in the future.

Votes: 107 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are wrasses notorious for jumping out of the tank? Because that’s one thing that held me back from getting them…I had a 6-line before for over a year. No issues. But then mysteriously disappeared. I have a 125 gallon with ricks, crabs and shrimp. If it died in the rocks they would’ve made quick work of the body.
A lot of them do, but I got lucky, my Mystery Wrasse's instinct is to dive down, not up. Most people have mesh tops if they have a wrasse. I do too, but I don't worry about gaps in mine due to my wrasse's nature.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are wrasses notorious for jumping out of the tank? Because that’s one thing that held me back from getting them…I had a 6-line before for over a year. No issues. But then mysteriously disappeared. I have a 125 gallon with ricks, crabs and shrimp. If it died in the rocks they would’ve made quick work of the body.
You need a tight fitting lid with wrasses or any fish. Some families may be more known for jumping than others however all fish will do it if given a reason to (Aggression).

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently lost my beautiful C.aquamarinus due to a prolonged power failure while I was away. Such a bummer.

Was the the LFS today checking out some beauties but worried I might have the same issue into the future :(

Definitely would love another wrasse though! They bring so much character

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, just one, a Broomtail, she won't allow another, she is queen of the tank but I think she might be starting her transformation to male. She's a chameleon

20211015_174341(0).jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep finding inverts my wrasses ignore and surprisingly the newest one is a Sally Lightfoot Crab. I find one reason wrasses are disliked is due to that “CUC Hunting” diet. But you can always just work around that with larger CUC members. Or go for the Fairies and Flashers :)
97515A57-B8D0-4575-9029-393C3ECBB5C4.jpeg

And to keep with the wrasse theme, a photo of my Cebu Cirrhilabrus lubbocki in full display.
0FCBF18E-4A52-4AEB-9986-8F0A65FF651B.jpeg

Last edited:

Keilus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been contemplating having a QOTD today or not. I'm sitting here in my Reef Therapy hat and Reef Builders shirt (thinking about Jake) typing and deleting and retyping again. It's proving to be very hard to try and "get back to reefing" considering the recent loss of our friend Jake Adams but this week I think he would be happy with the topic we have planned from the beginning of the year and would want us to continue to learn and share. Jake really knew fish and he knew his wrasses so let's talk about them today!

I have a green bird wrasse in my 120 gallon

And yea extremely happy

Do you have at least one wrasse in your reef tank and if so which one?

Follow up: Are you happy with your decision to include wrasse fish into your aquarium?

SUPERMALE LINEATUS WRASSES image via @Reef Pro
Lin SM WYS2.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue star in my DT and pink-streaked in my frag tank are two of my favorite fish!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have:
Cheilinus lunulatus - growing fast
Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus katherinae
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Pseudocoris yamashiroi

Still planning on adding these, as I've had them previously and want to keep them again
Cirrhilabrus brunneus
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres cyanosoma
Halichoeres ornatissimus
Labroides dimidiatus
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia
Pseudojuloides cerasinus
Pseudojuloides severnsi

dkfrosty1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been contemplating having a QOTD today or not. I'm sitting here in my Reef Therapy hat and Reef Builders shirt (thinking about Jake) typing and deleting and retyping again. It's proving to be very hard to try and "get back to reefing" considering the recent loss of our friend Jake Adams but this week I think he would be happy with the topic we have planned from the beginning of the year and would want us to continue to learn and share. Jake really knew fish and he knew his wrasses so let's talk about them today!

Do you have at least one wrasse in your reef tank and if so which one?

Follow up: Are you happy with your decision to include wrasse fish into your aquarium?

SUPERMALE LINEATUS WRASSES image via @Reef Pro
Lin SM WYS2.jpg
I had a beautiful female rhombus, but she jumped when I left the lid open one night. Also have a Coris and a cleaner. Love my wrasses!

ShoalSister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much diversity among wrasse species, both in terms of appearance and behavior. I think there's a wrasse out there for everything...almost.

Have 2 at the moment. A female blue star leopard wrasse named Diva. She is in a set up all her own except for a cleanup crew. She was intended to be in my 60 gallon with other relatively friendly mates, but I'm sure she wouldn't have survived if I left her there. She's afraid of everything and burrows immediately when spooked. In the community tank, she would come out of the sand for minutes a day and as soon as another fish would swim by, minding their own business, back in the sand she would go. She's thriving in her own tank though and is personable towards the food goddess (me). So, not the best success story on that one. She is doing great for nearly a year now, but at a cost of having her own set up.

Second wrasse is a harlequin tusk in a 125 gallon with a schooling bannerfish. He has forced me into being his cleanup crew because he eats any invertebrate in sight. Very personable and beautiful as are all wrasse.

In retrospect, both of my wrasse have managed to manipulate me like no other fish ever has....perhaps I should not recommend them. :)

Attachments

• 20220503_114414.jpg
    20220503_114414.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220807_114616.jpg
    20220807_114616.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 25

ShoalSister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much diversity among wrasse species, both in terms of appearance and behavior. I think there's a wrasse out there for everything...almost.

Have 2 at the moment. A female blue star leopard wrasse named Diva. She is in a set up all her own except for a cleanup crew. She was intended to be in my 60 gallon with other relatively friendly mates, but I'm sure she wouldn't have survived if I left her there. She's afraid of everything and burrows immediately when spooked. In the community tank, she would come out of the sand for minutes a day and as soon as another fish would swim by, minding their own business, back in the sand she would go. She's thriving in her own tank though and is personable towards the food goddess (me). So, not the best success story on that one. She is doing great for nearly a year now, but at a cost of having her own set up.

Second wrasse is a harlequin tusk in a 125 gallon with a schooling bannerfish. He has forced me into being his cleanup crew because he eats any invertebrate in sight. Very personable and beautiful as are all wrasse.

In retrospect, both of my wrasse have managed to manipulate me like no other fish ever has....perhaps I should not recommend them. :)
I should add that these are fowlr tanks.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been a big fan of wrasses but I did get a leopard and mystery wrasse with a whole tank purchase. They prove to be changing my opinion of them. They are fairly social and interesting swimmers to watch.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back