How many of you have at least one Wrasse in your reef tank?

How many of you have at least one Wrasse in your reef tank?

• Yes I have at least one wrasse in my reef tank.

Votes: 477 71.4%
  • No I do not.

Votes: 76 11.4%
  • No but I will in the future.

Votes: 107 16.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

Rkdunn1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been contemplating having a QOTD today or not. I'm sitting here in my Reef Therapy hat and Reef Builders shirt (thinking about Jake) typing and deleting and retyping again. It's proving to be very hard to try and "get back to reefing" considering the recent loss of our friend Jake Adams but this week I think he would be happy with the topic we have planned from the beginning of the year and would want us to continue to learn and share. Jake really knew fish and he knew his wrasses so let's talk about them today!

Do you have at least one wrasse in your reef tank and if so which one?

Follow up: Are you happy with your decision to include wrasse fish into your aquarium?

SUPERMALE LINEATUS WRASSES image via @Reef Pro
Lin SM WYS2.jpg
I have a Ruby head wrasse! He’s an amazing fish!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, just one, a Broomtail, she won't allow another, she is queen of the tank but I think she might be starting her transformation to male. She's a chameleon

20211015_174341(0).jpg
One of my absolute favorites. Here's a pic of my gentle giant in the making. She's around 4.5" long now, and gets along with all the other fish, even the small damsels and clowns. Actually took the sohal tang out of the tank because it relentlessly chased her, even though it's 1.5" smaller.

20221025_132612.jpg

Piqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a soft spot for 8 line flasher wrasses. I just got one and he is Mr. Personality--named Octothorpe. I also just got a yellow banded possum wrasse that lurks in the rock work. His name is Manny. I purchased both from Reef Pro and have been very happy with their appetites and sociablility. They already know when I'm feeding them and come to the feeding area.

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one wrasse, a Mystery Wrasse. She's my pride and joy. I have been thinking about a Six Line or a Melanurus, but the risk is scaring me since I will protect the Mystery Wrasse at all cost. I don't know if I am overreacting or what. My tank is 75g.
Snap mines a also a 75 gallon
I have a Melanurus and a Mystery Wrasse. Some territorial squabbles initially but not so bad now. Mystery was in first and it was the one causing the problem

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one wrasse, a Mystery Wrasse. She's my pride and joy. I have been thinking about a Six Line or a Melanurus, but the risk is scaring me since I will protect the Mystery Wrasse at all cost. I don't know if I am overreacting or what. My tank is 75g.
In all honesty, your Mystery may be the one that you have to worry about when mixing her. These guys can be violent when it comes to mixing with other wrasses.
Generally the rule is not to mix Pseudocheilinus with other wrasses and especially not to mix them with similar species from the same genus.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one large male (I assume) Dusky wrasse, who is impossible to photograph because he's never still. He might eat every snail that falls, but he's beautiful.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairy wrasse because its pretty, cleaner wrasse (Doc) cleans the fish and a six line in a xl525 and a six line to eat stuff, and this one, which was sold to me as a melanurus but I think he is a moon wrasse.
tempImagenhJv3g.png
That’s a Thalassoma species but to be 100% sure which, a white light photo will be best.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh, this is so hard:

Favorite Halichoeres Wrasses:
1) Melanarus
2) Earmuff
3) Radiant

Favorite Fairy Wrasses:
1) Lineatus Supermale
2) Labouti Supermale
3) Flame Wrasse Supermale
4) Golden Rhomboidalis Supermale

Coris Wrasse:
1) Red Coris - so beautiful

Leopard:
1) I seriously cannot chose, they're all so awesome

Thalassoma:
1) Banana Wrasse
2) Pinkface Wrasse (though nasty)
3) Paddlefin Wrasse
4) Regular Lunare

There are others... but

BarcaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Coris is my favorite fish. Love his color and movement, gets along great with everything, and eats like a champ. I know they aren’t particularly rare (as this thread proves) or expensive but something about them always stood out to me and I’m so glad I was able to add one.

Thought I lost him when I first added him. I knew he’d likely hide in the sand for a while but after about a week it was hard not to think something went wrong. Decided to do a little sleuthing during a water change to potentially remove him if he had passed. Unearthed him while vacuuming sand; fortunately, he was still just finding his confidence. A couple days later he was out and about full time and ever since he’s first in line for food.

KMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a yellow-banded possum wrasse. They have a reputation for being cryptic, but mine is out and about all the time. In my last tank, I had a pair of Linneatus. The female transitioned and killed the original male - it was heartbreaking.

Attachments

• IMG_5835.jpg
    IMG_5835.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 18

Dabcrusher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some type of flasher wrasse just can't decide which one but have 2 tanakas possum wrasses I got when they were hardly the size of a dime they are pretty criptic but always together

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ideally I'd upgrade a year or so from now. Need me a 4' at least so I can have a foxface a few anthias another wrasse and possibly a smaller tang. I'm rocking 53 gallons right now but I'd like to double that:)
I recently upgraded to a 75 gallon and didn't take long at all to feel like I'm maxing out on fish, lol. I hope to be able to go much larger someday and be able to keep some of the larger tangs, and more wrasses of course. :)
I'm thinking the last additions to my current tank will be a trio of sunset anthias. I'd really love a foxface for algae control but already have a tomini tang that doesn't do his job - don't need another large fish that could end up not even eating gha. My fish are apparently too well fed to feel like doing their utilitarian jobs, lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back