How many of you have MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome)?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's ok. This is a safe space. you can talk about your MTS here. How many of you are keeping multiple tanks?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 11 tanks, 3 large tubs and a 800 gallon macro grow out a problem. I don’t think it is........... if I was raising pods again and had the 40x 55 gallon barrels going for pods, then maybe it would be. Right now, I say it isn’t lol.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two tanks right off the bat... never even had a freshwater tank to start with.

60g corner tank and 32 Biocube. Cycled them both at the same time lol.

1617669052863.gif

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTS is a necessity if you want optimal growth and to minimize coral aggression.

Having softies, LPS and SPS in different biotopes offers advantages.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not me! Only one freshwater tank (160), Just 2 small saltwater tanks 160 and 200g). It would not be fair to count the 2 tanks I have in standby, nor do I count the 2 tanks of my kids.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guilty!

Started with 20L reef. For 6 years that was enough until this past christmas when I decided to set up a 40B.

In her wisdom, my SO saw the writing on the wall and was like "soo how many tanks before it's time for an intervention??" Seven was my number.

4.5 months later, and a rude awakening into quarantining I have running... 20L, 40B, 29g, 10g and a new 5g to accommodate the soon to be babies from a pregnant molly currently in the 29g. There's also another 10g still dry with all the equipment ready to go for a hospital if necessary.

Looks like I got another tank left before it's intervention time. Gonna try to push the whole "...but honey if I get a larger Red Sea/Waterbox tank I could roll the other tanks into one" (I won't). Something tells me she'll see right through that in a heartbeat.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man ... went down this path many years ago, with progressively increasing volume too.

At some point the scales tip to where it becomes a job and no longer "fun" or a "hobby" ... that's when things start going downhill and you decide to sell everything and leave the hobby because nothing is fun or exciting anymore. I think with everything I've learned through the hobby, the dream one day is to have a system with 4 components built in. My dream system -all plumbed together- would consist of (1) A large display, (2) a decent sized frag tank, (3) a thriving refugium, and (4) a sump with all the bells and whistles. If anything, a hospital or QT tank to the side would be the only other functioning tank besides the main system.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guilty. I have 3 systems totaling 4 tanks. Dual 40b setup, 29g biocube, 5.5g pico aio.

the pico was set up as part of a contest. I’m actually planning on taking it down, because I’m going to upgrade it to a 16g cube tank.

2 40breeders are going on 7 years old. Silicone seen better days And I’ve outgrown this system . I’m planning on going to an sca 150 this year. So this will have the 40g frag tank, sump, and 150 tank, so welll over 200g when done.

then the biocube, it’s fine but getting old, I’ve never liked the curved glass. I’m dreaming of doing an upgrade to this tank after the 150. I’ve been planning out this system a lot instead of working on the new nano I already Am setting up.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guilty as charged! ;Hilarious

1 X 180G mixed reef tank
3 X 10G support tanks for quarantine or isolation (SW) as needed

1 X 20G tank for my lionhead goldfish

1 dinky 1G SW tank just because
1 dinky 2G SW tank just because part II

1 X 1G betta tank at the office
(used to be a 5G sized tank)

1 spare 40G tank ‘temporarily’ (ahem) brought out of garage retirement to quarantine/house 2 gem tangs, 2 yellow tangs & 2 purple tangs (all small)

—wait—was anyone keeping count??

oh look! another petco $1 per gallon per tank sale! :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back