How many of you is not using RODI??

BRS

Dkmoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Tada, I use bottled water. 30 cents a pop. Pure pure pure!
"Purified drinking water" is not always the same as pure H2O - often times it is just treated to neutralize whats bad for you. How does it taste? Pure H2O out if a rodi actually doesn't take all that good - its the minerals and stuff that adds the taste. I would still check it with a TDS meter to see if its a 0 reading.

It's likely better than tap but the issue is you don't know what else is in it. While in these concentrates it might be OK but remember your salt mix also adds minerals and trace elements, would it still be OK after yiu mix in the salt is the question mark.

Plus microplastics...in a closed system like tank it will accumulate fast.

carpetlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
"Purified drinking water" is not always the same as pure H2O - often times it is just treated to neutralize whats bad for you. How does it taste? Pure H2O out if a rodi actually doesn't take all that good - its the minerals and stuff that adds the taste. I would still check it with a TDS meter to see if its a 0 reading.

It's likely better than tap but the issue is you don't know what else is in it. While in these concentrates it might be OK but remember your salt mix also adds minerals and trace elements, would it still be OK after yiu mix in the salt is the question mark.

Plus microplastics...in a closed system like tank it will accumulate fast.
I tried the taste test, and holy cow it tasted horrible! Absolutely plain (which is good). I only use this for top off as I buy rodi saltmix. Everybody seems happy! TDS is about 3

Attachments

• 59114CE7-82FB-44C9-A60D-B464CE1F1615.jpeg
    59114CE7-82FB-44C9-A60D-B464CE1F1615.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 803502D4-AFEC-4A31-A14E-699AA3F1CE89.jpeg
    803502D4-AFEC-4A31-A14E-699AA3F1CE89.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 5

PAreefer710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I haven’t used rodi in At least 6 months. And I haven’t seen a difference between using and not using. So I will definitely be staying with using tap water. My sandbed is white. No nuisance algae and corals haven’t looked better.. idk ‍♂️
23F01E3D-BE78-4667-BEE5-35658571D265.jpeg

PAreefer710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I am still fairly new to the hobby a few months in and I can't imagine not using rodI water For the person who posted you only used tap water like the rest of us I'd love to see a picture that you could prove it with don't mean to be confrontational but I just don't believe there's any tap water that you can use really left in the world unless your very very unique in high mountain area with crystal clean Spring water and even then there is going to be so much dissolved solids that you won't know what they are I can't imagine it would work
I use tap. Have city water too. I only add some prime to it and have zero problems. I don’t test my parameters either. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Budmans

Dkmoo

View Badges
Reaction score
I use tap. Have city water too. I only add some prime to it and have zero problems. I don’t test my parameters either. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
Your success may also be tied to your coral choice. Looks like you are mostly zoas and hardy LPS like torches that may actual do well with a bit of "dirty water", depending what is in your tab

Nice tank btw.

What type of piping do you have in your home? If copper then you are sitting on a time bomb.

PAreefer710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Your success may also be tied to your coral choice. Looks like you are mostly zoas and hardy LPS like torches that may actual do well with a bit of "dirty water", depending what is in your tab

Nice tank btw.

What type of piping do you have in your home? If copper then you are sitting on a time bomb.
Got a bunch of lps. A few monti, birdsnest, an acro. And yeah “dirty” water is good for them. And yes old home with copper piping. As for a time bomb, I have to disagree. Any amount of copper for the length of time I been using tap would have had a detrimental effect by now. At least to some of the corals. Coloration, growth, and health of the corals are amazing. I don’t know, I do think I haven’t been lucky this long so who knows?

Dkmoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Got a bunch of lps. A few monti, birdsnest, an acro. And yeah “dirty” water is good for them. And yes old home with copper piping. As for a time bomb, I have to disagree. Any amount of copper for the length of time I been using tap would have had a detrimental effect by now. At least to some of the corals. Coloration, growth, and health of the corals are amazing. I don’t know, I do think I haven’t been lucky this long so who knows?
Yup, you do you, not gonna argue with the nice pic of the tank. Many other factors at play here and everyone need to just own their own rodi/no rodi decision

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
I haven’t used rodi in At least 6 months. And I haven’t seen a difference between using and not using. So I will definitely be staying with using tap water. My sandbed is white. No nuisance algae and corals haven’t looked better.. idk ‍♂️
23F01E3D-BE78-4667-BEE5-35658571D265.jpeg
hmm, interesting, you must have a decently clean water supply. The water here in Chicago sucks. Do you use any type of dechlorination?

Avast

PAreefer710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yup, you do you, not gonna argue with the nice pic of the tank. Many other factors at play here and everyone need to just own their own rodi/no rodi decision
Lol gotcha. I can say it is working for me, might not be the same for anyone else. Like I always say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Dkmoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Lol gotcha. I can say it is working for me, might not be the same for anyone else. Like I always say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
I would be interest to see long term results from this. And if you ever do an ICP test please post it. Interested to really see the impact of dechlor tap and its impact depending on the composition of the tap. Use cases like yours can be very beneficial to advance the collective knowledge of really how much "impurity" of the water impacts long term reefing vs other factors (im guessing you have good light and husbandry habbits)

PAreefer710

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would be interest to see long term results from this. And if you ever do an ICP test please post it. Interested to really see the impact of dechlor tap and its impact depending on the composition of the tap. Use cases like yours can be very beneficial to advance the collective knowledge of really how much "impurity" of the water impacts long term reefing vs other factors (im guessing you have good light and husbandry habbits)
I am interested in doing an ICP test. Maybe I will and post em up, not a bad idea. And as for lighting I run a hydra32 and a reefbrite xho k series, and I like to think my husbandry habits are sufficient. I’m constantly looking and checking out every little detail. Always making sure everything is how I think it should be.

BRS

Are you currently housing your most favorite fish ever?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 87 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 143 60.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 2.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
www.cherrycorals.com