How many of you is not using RODI??

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i use 150$ t5 lights. No sump or skimmer. 40$ emperor 400 filters for mechanical and cheap koralia power heads. And tap water And you saw my reef right ?

As someone posted my water quality in this area is really good. Eveb read the report that nothing here uses copper or lead in the piping as the water company renoved it all.

I guess the issue here is some water companies dont filter the water or do the work and spend the miney for a good infastructure. Aparently fairfax water co in nova does.

If we move. I might have to go rodi ? I dunno.. but for now i dont.
No matter how good your water is it still can’t beat an rodi and that is pry why you are losing corals.

Last edited:

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you put in an rodi system, or your parents did, and have no problems with you throwing water down the drain? Good parents and glad for you. But once you start paying for the water yourself and have your own family with expenses. Having an rodi system would be great, but not a necessity. Even in this hobby/pet care giver.
Must be some awfully expensive water there, if one is concerned with the cost of the RODI wasting water !

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here, where poor quality of city water supplies makes a RODI system a necessity, we just have to accept that the cost of making the RODI water is part of the operating expenses of an aquarium. These days, one is very fortunate to have a good source of clean water !

Bay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the debate of tap vs rodi is flawed that one is not better than the other. Maybe it depends on where you live but to say that rodi is a requirement for the hobby and that people who don't drink the kool aid cheap or can't afford rodi is not correct. I've been using tap for 20+ years and have tried rodi for a few of those and it didn't make any difference to my tank. Growth comes from stability and balance IMO. Maybe if you're new to the hobby, you should study about the balance of keeping an ecosystem before going to the marketing side and wasting money. Get your water tested and do a baseline of what is right/wrong and go from there. Who would think there are people growing massive SPS colonies without even doing water changes. Those guys understand balance. BTW, I can afford rodi :) but I choose not to use it because I'd rather spend the saved money on other things in the hobby.

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the debate of tap vs rodi is flawed that one is not better than the other. Maybe it depends on where you live but to say that rodi is a requirement for the hobby and that people who don't drink the kool aid cheap or can't afford rodi is not correct. I've been using tap for 20+ years and have tried rodi for a few of those and it didn't make any difference to my tank. Growth comes from stability and balance IMO. Maybe if you're new to the hobby, you should study about the balance of keeping an ecosystem before going to the marketing side and wasting money. Get your water tested and do a baseline of what is right/wrong and go from there. Who would think there are people growing massive SPS colonies without even doing water changes. Those guys understand balance. BTW, I can afford rodi :) but I choose not to use it because I'd rather spend the saved money on other things in the hobby.
Tank pic please.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’pretty much exclusively use ro/di , sometimes not for emergencies or initial setup. However over the past 20 years I’d say most of the people I meet in person do not. But we all have a different perspective of success.

A good friend of mine has never used ro/di (no matter how much I poked and proded) I couldn’t ever pull off a mixed reef like this let alone on tap.. but they do.. this tank is nearly a decade old.

I find it’s never a cost issue for folks people don’t like to waste water. I personally use the waste water from my ro/di to water plants.

8DD58A77-AA30-42D7-B181-EB488AD3A968.jpeg

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 2 months old but I’ve been using tap water so far. I’m happy with it.

Attachments

• 396A665C-69C4-4C0D-8FAD-73D00FB442E1.jpeg
    396A665C-69C4-4C0D-8FAD-73D00FB442E1.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 67

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank, if your doing that with tap water, I would am totally impressed.

That’s only the second tank I have ever seen in 30 years on tap water, the first, only days ago, has reported after 2 years of tap water, everything is now slowly dying.

I think your more the exception than the rule.

Very, very nice.

Last edited:

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

how many of you are not using RODI?
I have kept freshwater fish for few year and only use tap water with primer and heater to match the water temp as display tank. Never had any problem.
New to saltwater fish keeping world, many seem to emphasize the need of using RODI.
I just tested my tap water. Nitrates ppm was 1.8
For those who are you not using RODI, have you ever run in uncontrollable water parameter issue like algae boom?
please share your thought!!
Happy new year to All

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

how many of you are not using RODI?
I have kept freshwater fish for few year and only use tap water with primer and heater to match the water temp as display tank. Never had any problem.
New to saltwater fish keeping world, many seem to emphasize the need of using RODI.
I just tested my tap water. Nitrates ppm was 1.8
For those who are you not using RODI, have you ever run in uncontrollable water parameter issue like algae boom?
please share your thought!!
Happy new year to All
I'm using just R.O. no problems so far. Tank is crystal

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back