xhxxh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

how many of you are not using RODI?
I have kept freshwater fish for few year and only use tap water with primer and heater to match the water temp as display tank. Never had any problem.
New to saltwater fish keeping world, many seem to emphasize the need of using RODI.
I just tested my tap water. Nitrates ppm was 1.8
For those who are you not using RODI, have you ever run in uncontrollable water parameter issue like algae boom?
please share your thought!!
Happy new year to All

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other things should i look at?

im going to test phosphate later

things we don’t even test for, tap water can have from 90 to a few hundred TDS in the water, from arsenic to copper, the list is a long one, even if you have the lowest TDS tap water you do not know what those TDS are.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

how many of you are not using RODI?
I have kept freshwater fish for few year and only use tap water with primer and heater to match the water temp as display tank. Never had any problem.
New to saltwater fish keeping world, many seem to emphasize the need of using RODI.
I just tested my tap water. Nitrates ppm was 1.8
For those who are you not using RODI, have you ever run in uncontrollable water parameter issue like algae boom?
please share your thought!!
Happy new year to All
Probably 99% of people.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While you can spend thousands of dollars and countless hours tending to the myriad of components needed to support a healthy reef environment, but without pure water, these efforts are in vain. Just as air quality and purity impacts human health, water quality directly influences the growth, coloration and continued development of all tank inhabitants.
Think about all the various methods, products and energy we put into maintaining water parameters. It’s easy to think that we do all this work for corals and other marine life, but in reality, we’re doing this to cultivate the healthiest water possible. If we satisfy the needs of water then the water satisfies the needs of our most beloved inhabitants. One of the things about water is you simply don't know what is in it until you test it yourself. Fluoride, Chlorine, Chloramines, Nitrates, Phosphates, and even metals.... none of which can be added to your marine tank safely. Many of these compounds will create nuisance algae and may even lead to premature death of various livestock.
If you opt to use tap water because it saves you money, you\'ll need to add some type of de chlorinator to protect your livestock from chlorine. Seachem's Prime is excellent, and I used it for years. But how much does that cost over time? And how much is your time worth, when you have to spend hours and hours battling green hair algae or worse?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used tap water for a few month when I got into the hobby. Never had long term success with anything other than Xenia and leathers. Shortly after I got a really bad red slime outbreak. Switched to RO and things got a lot easier

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little API dechlorinator is all i ever used 15+ years. If u have very skewed N&P ratios then i would consider some kind of filter.

As long as its potable its fine.

OP
OP
X

xhxxh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby isn’t cheap, I you can’t afford RODI, saltwater isn’t for you,. Stick with freshwater as you’ll just get frustrated that your tank looks like crap. RODI is the staple of saltwater stability.
Its not about money. Im interested to see those who runs with RODI but still runs their tank successfully

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back