How many of you is not using RODI??

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through half the thread. I think the take home lesson is tap water can vary greatly depending on many factors. Those that have tap water suitable for reefing are in the minority though so the general recommendation for RODI in this hobby is prudent and good advice.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rule. But those that are running successful tap water reefs should understand they are the lucky few and suggesting others can have similar success with tap is likely folly.

It worked for me within certain limitations. I agree though, it may not be a viable long term strategy for most.

mallorie.gaughran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only ever used Ro/Di on our tanks and had great success. I don't even drink tap water without filtering it. No way I'd use it for an environment meant to mimic the ocean. We all see what fertilizers and waste run off do to the ocean ( big old algae blooms and dead fish). No way I'm putting tap water which contains lots of similar things (in the form of TDS) into my tank. I'd rather start properly than to have to fix a huge mistake.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get it.. thats why when i move i do plan to go to rodi because im not sure what the water quality will be like where i move too.. but for now.. and for 20 years my water has been fine here.

Discus hans in baltimore uses tap water and he has discus he sells from a multimillion dollar business in germany. If the water was so bad the discus would be dying. Those fish are extremely sensitive

But the discus are not sensitive to the same things that marine organisms are, and he does not draw water from your home.

It is a totally spurious argument to say that someone else uses tap water. Your tap water may be totally different than your next door neighbor since your own pipes are often a big part of the problem, and to think that tap water never changes is also wrong. Often the pH is adjusted, or the chlorinating ingredients, or the pipes along the way to your home are replaced, etc.

Tap water works well, and it also leads to disasters.

It's a risk one takes if you use it.

Baltimore water? Not a good plan at all.

According to the Baltimore water report:

10% of homes have copper in tap water above 112 ppb.

Do you want to take a risk that you are in the 90%? Is it worth the risk?

Maybe you rolled the dice for 20 years and won.

Then the bad roll came up. :(

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get it.. thats why when i move i do plan to go to rodi because im not sure what the water quality will be like where i move too.. but for now.. and for 20 years my water has been fine here.

Discus hans in baltimore uses tap water and he has discus he sells from a multimillion dollar business in germany. If the water was so bad the
But the discus are not sensitive to the same things that marine organisms are, and he does not draw water from your home.

It is a totally spurious argument to say that someone else uses tap water. Your tap water may be totally different than your next door neighbor since your own pipes are often a big part of the problem, and to think that tap water never changes is also wrong. Often the pH is adjusted, or the chlorinating ingredients, or the pipes along the way to your home are replaced, etc.

Tap water works well, and it also leads to disasters.

It's a risk one takes if you use it.

Baltimore water? Not a good plan at all.

According to the Baltimore water report:

10% of homes have copper in tap water above 112 ppb.

Do you want to take a risk that you are in the 90%? Is it worth the risk?

Maybe you rolled the dice for 20 years and won.

Then the bad roll came up. :(
Question I’ve been wondering. Does copper dissipate over time in an aquarium? In other words can a small amount be neutralized over time?

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I’ve been wondering. Does copper dissipate over time in an aquarium? In other words can a small amount be neutralized over time?
Depends on the type of copper and what you do to get rid of it. But, on its own? No, don't think so.

Also, if it isn't about the money, why not just do it and make life easier? Feeling like this thread is more of a "i know I should, but I'm feeling guilty for not, make me feel better". Dude, just use RO/DI, (or not) i think this debate is long dead. Waste of time at this point since you don't listen.

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im amazed at how cheap ro/di have become.

Can some one explain this though?

Miracle mud fyi has about 100ppm of copper
100 ppm zinc 100 ppm lead!!! In some tests

And those tanks do pretty well and you have to replace it with fresh new "toxins" every like year or 2 or something.

I think everyone here knows rodi wont cure dino issues at least.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please remember to keep the focus on the issue and avoid personal attacks so that this conversation can continue with everyone involved.

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i dont know (which im looking into) is if cities add EDTA or some chelator for some reason or another that can be issue.

saltmine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also just beginning my saltwater journey, and had the EXACT same thoughts you are having now coming from freshwater. It seems that saltwater fish are much more sensitive than freshwater. I did not want/am not able to set up a whole RODI purification setup.

Another forum user who lives in my area directed me to a local saltwater specialty store, and I am going to be buying my water from there. Depending on how large your tank is, this option might make sense for you, too. There are more options out there then doing a Tom of plumbing before even starting out! (And then you don’t have to do all that pesky salt mixing...)

I think it does make more sense to start out with good water to prevent problems in the future. Even if it is crappy to get water filling the tank the first time, I think it will probably be less crappy than fighting with algae and having fish and corals die. That is my thought at least, as someone in the exact same position as you!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's pretty simple: Why take a chance with the unknowns in my tap (whether it's well water or city water)? As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, there is nothing in tap water that could be beneficial to my tanks. However, there are a lot of things in that water that we KNOW are detrimental to my tanks.

So, I choose to start with pure water. And for the $200 or so I spent on my RO/DI setup, I find that pretty cheap compared to all of the corals and fish that are counting on me to keep them happy and healthy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I expect it will if the source is stopped. Most copper will be bound to organics in a reef tank, and many of those can be skimmed out or bound to GAC and other organic binders. Some copper may also bind directly to exposed calcium carbonate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im amazed at how cheap ro/di have become.

Can some one explain this though?

Miracle mud fyi has about 100ppm of copper
100 ppm zinc 100 ppm lead!!! In some tests

And those tanks do pretty well and you have to replace it with fresh new "toxins" every like year or 2 or something.

I think everyone here knows rodi wont cure dino issues at least.

A solid material containing something does not mean it is substantially released to the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i dont know (which im looking into) is if cities add EDTA or some chelator for some reason or another that can be issue.

Thet is not a usual addition, but I’m also not sure it is an issue if it did.

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will beat RODI...Its true, but tap is 100% possible.

I have kept everything from softies to SPS. I've had 1 major crash and it was due to my own stupidity with dosing and NOT from my source water.

Tank is 7 years old....

20200727_101054.jpg

Nick428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solid material containing something does not mean it is substantially released to the water.
I think i've read all of your reefkeeping magazine post since i was kid lol.

Isn't there a max solubility of minerals at seawater ph, temperature... etc? Before they fall out of solution?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back