How many of you is not using RODI??

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local tap water has a TDS > 400 including nitrates at 30 ppm. I stupidly started my tank with this and it took me monthes of water changes to undo that mistake.

That said, the house where I grew up, our water was fed from a spring in the garden, I may have stood more of a chance there.

landshark777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use rodi, I use tap water with Prime before mixing in salt.
I'm sure I have elevated n&p's. But it doesn't justify throwing the "dirty" water down the drain. If I can drink it, so can the fish. Nothing bad has happened to my aquarium.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-071637_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-071637_Samsung Internet.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 45

landshark777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am converting to RODI very soon...after reading peoples advice about tap water and seeing the results in my own 50 gal -I have seen the light! After two months of tapwater my tank is looking crappy and my softies are alive but not happy campers.Go RODI or go home!!!!!

stefdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was brand new to the hobby, I did a water change with tap water... not sure WHY I did this, at this point... I didn't have the elaborate RODI that I have now, but, I suppose most of us are guilty of stupid mistakes at some time. Anywho, did the water change in the evening, came down in the early, early AM - before dawn - and in the moonlight I could see a fish lying in the sand. Turned on the light to see which one it was... it was ALL of them. Stone dead on the tank floor. Have never put another drop of non-RODI water in a tank again. Granted, I lived at the coast back then and our water was crap... back to the WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?

landshark777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was brand new to the hobby, I did a water change with tap water... not sure WHY I did this, at this point... I didn't have the elaborate RODI that I have now, but, I suppose most of us are guilty of stupid mistakes at some time. Anywho, did the water change in the evening, came down in the early, early AM - before dawn - and in the moonlight I could see a fish lying in the sand. Turned on the light to see which one it was... it was ALL of them. Stone dead on the tank floor. Have never put another drop of non-RODI water in a tank again. Granted, I lived at the coast back then and our water was crap... back to the WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?
Sorry to hear about your fish loss.Since I converted to RODI water I've noticed my fish and corals coming back to life.Will never go back to tap for sure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was widely discussed a while back. I do not think using tap water is the disaster its said to be - except - chloramines. BTW I use RODI.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You cant just use 'tap water' you have to use treated tap water. For example - stress coat, or something like that

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 27AF6079-D92A-4F1B-9696-5BDBF09F3D95.png
    27AF6079-D92A-4F1B-9696-5BDBF09F3D95.png
    285.6 KB · Views: 49

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No RODI. No water treatment. I just take water from tank that store water for few days.
I have been running my tank decently sucessfully for over 1.5 years now. I don't have acros though as closed lid system with my own custom lighting. So no space for big lights.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using treated city tap for my FOWLR systems for 40+ years with no issues. My majestic angel lived for 16+ years & clowns going on 20. My TDS was on average 80. Since getting into coral keeping I baught a RODI unit and now use RODI water for all my tanks. On the FOWLR I didn’t see a difference when switching over, but it was only10 gallons of water change at a time. As stated earlier, everyone has different water and to be on the safe side use RODI

Angeleyes reefraf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am still fairly new to the hobby a few months in and I can't imagine not using rodI water For the person who posted you only used tap water like the rest of us I'd love to see a picture that you could prove it with don't mean to be confrontational but I just don't believe there's any tap water that you can use really left in the world unless your very very unique in high mountain area with crystal clean Spring water and even then there is going to be so much dissolved solids that you won't know what they are I can't imagine it would work

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I am still fairly new to the hobby a few months in and I can't imagine not using rodI water For the person who posted you only used tap water like the rest of us I'd love to see a picture that you could prove it with don't mean to be confrontational but I just don't believe there's any tap water that you can use really left in the world unless your very very unique in high mountain area with crystal clean Spring water and even then there is going to be so much dissolved solids that you won't know what they are I can't imagine it would work
He posted pictures. The issue is not the 60 TDS that our 'city water has' after all - seawater has 35000. The issue is 'what are the TDS' that are in the tap water - if its copper - (From pipes, lets say) - or something else -that may be a problem. The other issue - Chloramine/CHlorine. which can be taken care of by treatment. At times I've used TAP water as top off in a pinch - (treated) - with no problems.

Back