How many of you is not using RODI??

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tada, I use bottled water. 30 cents a pop. Pure pure pure!
"Purified drinking water" is not always the same as pure H2O - often times it is just treated to neutralize whats bad for you. How does it taste? Pure H2O out if a rodi actually doesn't take all that good - its the minerals and stuff that adds the taste. I would still check it with a TDS meter to see if its a 0 reading.

It's likely better than tap but the issue is you don't know what else is in it. While in these concentrates it might be OK but remember your salt mix also adds minerals and trace elements, would it still be OK after yiu mix in the salt is the question mark.

Plus microplastics...in a closed system like tank it will accumulate fast.

carpetlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Purified drinking water" is not always the same as pure H2O - often times it is just treated to neutralize whats bad for you. How does it taste? Pure H2O out if a rodi actually doesn't take all that good - its the minerals and stuff that adds the taste. I would still check it with a TDS meter to see if its a 0 reading.

It's likely better than tap but the issue is you don't know what else is in it. While in these concentrates it might be OK but remember your salt mix also adds minerals and trace elements, would it still be OK after yiu mix in the salt is the question mark.

Plus microplastics...in a closed system like tank it will accumulate fast.
I tried the taste test, and holy cow it tasted horrible! Absolutely plain (which is good). I only use this for top off as I buy rodi saltmix. Everybody seems happy! TDS is about 3

Attachments

• 59114CE7-82FB-44C9-A60D-B464CE1F1615.jpeg
    59114CE7-82FB-44C9-A60D-B464CE1F1615.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 803502D4-AFEC-4A31-A14E-699AA3F1CE89.jpeg
    803502D4-AFEC-4A31-A14E-699AA3F1CE89.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 38

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used rodi in At least 6 months. And I haven’t seen a difference between using and not using. So I will definitely be staying with using tap water. My sandbed is white. No nuisance algae and corals haven’t looked better.. idk ‍♂️
23F01E3D-BE78-4667-BEE5-35658571D265.jpeg

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am still fairly new to the hobby a few months in and I can't imagine not using rodI water For the person who posted you only used tap water like the rest of us I'd love to see a picture that you could prove it with don't mean to be confrontational but I just don't believe there's any tap water that you can use really left in the world unless your very very unique in high mountain area with crystal clean Spring water and even then there is going to be so much dissolved solids that you won't know what they are I can't imagine it would work
I use tap. Have city water too. I only add some prime to it and have zero problems. I don’t test my parameters either. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tap. Have city water too. I only add some prime to it and have zero problems. I don’t test my parameters either. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!
Your success may also be tied to your coral choice. Looks like you are mostly zoas and hardy LPS like torches that may actual do well with a bit of "dirty water", depending what is in your tab

Nice tank btw.

What type of piping do you have in your home? If copper then you are sitting on a time bomb.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your success may also be tied to your coral choice. Looks like you are mostly zoas and hardy LPS like torches that may actual do well with a bit of "dirty water", depending what is in your tab

Nice tank btw.

What type of piping do you have in your home? If copper then you are sitting on a time bomb.
Got a bunch of lps. A few monti, birdsnest, an acro. And yeah “dirty” water is good for them. And yes old home with copper piping. As for a time bomb, I have to disagree. Any amount of copper for the length of time I been using tap would have had a detrimental effect by now. At least to some of the corals. Coloration, growth, and health of the corals are amazing. I don’t know, I do think I haven’t been lucky this long so who knows?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bunch of lps. A few monti, birdsnest, an acro. And yeah “dirty” water is good for them. And yes old home with copper piping. As for a time bomb, I have to disagree. Any amount of copper for the length of time I been using tap would have had a detrimental effect by now. At least to some of the corals. Coloration, growth, and health of the corals are amazing. I don’t know, I do think I haven’t been lucky this long so who knows?
Yup, you do you, not gonna argue with the nice pic of the tank. Many other factors at play here and everyone need to just own their own rodi/no rodi decision

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used rodi in At least 6 months. And I haven’t seen a difference between using and not using. So I will definitely be staying with using tap water. My sandbed is white. No nuisance algae and corals haven’t looked better.. idk ‍♂️
23F01E3D-BE78-4667-BEE5-35658571D265.jpeg
hmm, interesting, you must have a decently clean water supply. The water here in Chicago sucks. Do you use any type of dechlorination?

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you do you, not gonna argue with the nice pic of the tank. Many other factors at play here and everyone need to just own their own rodi/no rodi decision
Lol gotcha. I can say it is working for me, might not be the same for anyone else. Like I always say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol gotcha. I can say it is working for me, might not be the same for anyone else. Like I always say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
I would be interest to see long term results from this. And if you ever do an ICP test please post it. Interested to really see the impact of dechlor tap and its impact depending on the composition of the tap. Use cases like yours can be very beneficial to advance the collective knowledge of really how much "impurity" of the water impacts long term reefing vs other factors (im guessing you have good light and husbandry habbits)

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interest to see long term results from this. And if you ever do an ICP test please post it. Interested to really see the impact of dechlor tap and its impact depending on the composition of the tap. Use cases like yours can be very beneficial to advance the collective knowledge of really how much "impurity" of the water impacts long term reefing vs other factors (im guessing you have good light and husbandry habbits)
I am interested in doing an ICP test. Maybe I will and post em up, not a bad idea. And as for lighting I run a hydra32 and a reefbrite xho k series, and I like to think my husbandry habits are sufficient. I’m constantly looking and checking out every little detail. Always making sure everything is how I think it should be.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good compromise to save money and time making water is what Jake does.... Uses just carbon blocks at the 33:30 mark.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice tank btw.

Doesn't the tap water conditioner or Prime help remove metal contaminants?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me the biggest thing here is - the quality of your water. If your TDS is 80 - and most of that TDS is sodium - using tap water (with some conditioner) - is probably good. If your TDS s 80 and most is copper from pipes or some other metal from your well, your city, etc. You may end up with problems. The way to avoid all of those possibilities - IMHO - is to use RODI. Then you dont have to worry about when the water plant adds 5x as much chloramine, etc etc - to the water.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in NYC... i used tap water initially since it was reading about ~35TDS out of the faucet. I mixed with some salt and did a phosphate reading and it came back above the Hannah meter's scale... I read the most recent water quality report and saw that NYC had an average of about 2ppm with both phosphates and silicates. The weird thing is though when i after doing a water change with tap water, it would read like 0.5ppm, but that number would slowly go down over time, like 0.3 the next day, then 0.15 the next, then 0.1 the following. I ran some phosguard and macros to try to keep it low. I'm guessing it was just binding to my rocks and sand... I imagine when the sand and rocks can't take any more and start leeching back into the water, that's when the problems will really start. I've since switched over to RODI.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back