How many of you is not using RODI??

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha yea i would trust NYC tap water over NYC rainwater
Not to mention the simple nature of how we collect rainwater make me think it is not actually that pure.
think about it. Mosquito larvae grow up in it that means there is enough food in it to support a few hundred of them in where I live

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Singapore, rain evaporates off the the Indonesian seas where the reefs are. I trust it
If you have reefs in your beach then your rain water is probably fine; but heavy air pollution can also taint the quality of the water. There's a million factors involved but if it works for you it works.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have reefs in your beach then your rain water is probably fine; but heavy air pollution can also taint the quality of the water. There's a million factors involved but if it works for you it works.
Does anyone think there is a difference between water (rain water) entering 352 quintillion gallons of water - as compared to 100 gallons? In 99 percent of the world its probably not the best idea to use rain water. There was just a story that Mexico dumped some million gallons of raw sewage into the area around Mexico/San Diego/coronado. Lets try that in a 100 gallon aquarium

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Canadian here...
5 years in the hobby. Two years with a 75 gal before transferring entire contents including sand into current tank. I guess I started with tap water + Prime (and good ole basic IO salt) because I was planning on a Fowlr. Then one thing led to another...
8B9B9818-57C3-4C5C-8C2B-2C84234A9714.jpeg

3A81828B-F6D7-46E0-A2C0-89D3A0E525C2.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't use RODI, just filtered tap water + Prime.
With your types of aquaria, I would probably do the same. You can do more frequent water changes, etc. The problem with not using RODI usually (IME) comes in large tanks with large amounts of evaporation - and the build up - of various elements. A big part of whether you can use 'tap water' or not relates to whats in your tap water. Secondly- that filter removes a lot of the stuff RODI removes - but I doubt it would be very efficient to use it on a 140 gallon tank. Plus for larger tanks it would be prohibitively expensive

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your types of aquaria, I would probably do the same. You can do more frequent water changes, etc. The problem with not using RODI usually (IME) comes in large tanks with large amounts of evaporation - and the build up - of various elements. A big part of whether you can use 'tap water' or not relates to whats in your tap water. Secondly- that filter removes a lot of the stuff RODI removes - but I doubt it would be very efficient to use it on a 140 gallon tank. Plus for larger tanks it would be prohibitively expensive
Yeah, I totally agree. I think I am lucky that tap water where I live is actuslly 'usable' and like you said, for small aquariums it is actually efficient enough. XD Plus that lack of difficult corals too.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tap water comes in at around 260 TDS before going through my RODI system. No way that would work out well for my reef.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on “what” is in the water being used.
This varies so much between cities and rural treatments, “what” may work for some, others, not so much.
To me, RODI is just piece of mind for those who don’t know exactly what’s in their source, so will take everything out, and put back only what we know.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back