Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to get a general number of how many people here keep SPS. It seems like the General SPS Discussion forum doesn't get posted to nearly as much as others. I love acros and will always have them...as long as I can keep them alive that is. There's just something about that acro smell when opening up a bag from the LFS or an online order. For those of you that do have them, post a pic of your favorite SPS that you have and 1 tip that you feel had contributed to your success.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to get a general number of how many people here keep SPS. It seems like the General SPS Discussion forum doesn't get posted to nearly as much as others. I love acros and will always have them...as long as I can keep them alive that is. There's just something about that acro smell when opening up a bag from the LFS or an online order. For those of you that do have them, post a pic of your favorite SPS that you have and 1 tip that you feel had contributed to your success.
Stability.
My Apex has gotten me to the stability I need for them to thrive. I grew them before but the daily tasks are done without me now. But, I hate my Apex and the programming and the fact that sometimes it does not connect to fusion.
This coral is growing like a weed, wish I remembered the name. LOL

20220412_174358.jpg

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to give SPS a shot sometime. Just don't have the budget or time at the moment to invest in all the extras that come with keeping them. ( better quality lighting, water testing, ect )

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 220 is the first SPS dominant tank I have try in the last 16 years. Mostly softies and LPS before. The first try 3 years ago was a disaster. It was my fault not taking my time. This go around I have been a lot more patient and its is paying off I have 35 SPS frags in my 220 and I am getting some nice growth. I know we keep hearing it but it is True. Learn, love and patients.
20220905_142413.jpg
20220905_141707.jpg
20220821_113133.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are up. Dirty glass, dirty sandbed, but I'm not prettying it up for pictures. Live shot. :D

FTS, SPS dominant.
20220906_093454.jpg

And my favorite.... COPPS 24k gold millie:
20220906_093512.jpg

Everything in here minus the few LPS, has been grown from the typical 1/4" nub of a frag. lol

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are up. Dirty glass, dirty sandbed, but I'm not prettying it up for pictures. Live shot. :D

FTS, SPS dominant.
20220906_093454.jpg

And my favorite.... COPPS 24k gold millie:
20220906_093512.jpg

Everything in here minus the few LPS, has been grown from the typical 1/4" nub of a frag. lol
I'd say you've had some success! You said you keep your parameters close to NSW levels. Do you mind sharing those numbers?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I just realized this was posted in the SPS section......

Kind of ironic?

A poll about loving SPS in the SPS section? Coming out just as excepted given the location of the thread. Might be a little different if this was posted in say General Discussion.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you've had some success! You said you keep your parameters close to NSW levels. Do you mind sharing those numbers?
7.0 to 7.5 ALK.
420 to 460 CAL
MAG jumps around a bit, but with purple box IO, it mixes up a bit different sometimes. I am always above 1300 though.
NO3 10 to 20PPM
PO4 0.10 to 0.20PPM. And no thats not a typo.

I don't sweat small swings. I look more for trends in the numbers. I test twice a week, and if one day it's 7.5, and the next its 7.0. I wouldn't intervene unless the next test was lower. Which would mean I just need to up my dosing.

I'm currently looking into maybe going into setup a calcium reactor, as I'm up to dosing a gallon of 2 part every other week.

As my tank is very mature, this is where my nutrients have settled with my filtration methods, and biomass.

Overall pretty much stable. I could send a picture of my notebook(Yes I actually use a pen and paper lol) thats shows a pretty stable system with very minor fluctuations over very long periods of time.

One thing I try to keep in mind.... The corals we have in the hobby have been around for thousands of years, what we may perceive as a long period of time, may not be to the coral. Something that happened a month ago, might only start to effect the coral today. Only one of the reason I log all my test results.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I just realized this was posted in the SPS section......

Kind of ironic?

A poll about loving SPS in the SPS section? Coming out just as excepted given the location of the thread. Might be a little different if this was posted in say General Discussion.
It all shows up on the main page under new posts as long as we keep posting to it. You just realized it because you also found it that way. Lol.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick i-phone snap of my display. My frag system is about get replaced, so of my "valuables" are starting to move in here. Left side is getting a little crowded and will have to bust it up a little like I did the right side. Once I get the frag system stabilized.
24513.jpg

Back