How many of you take the risk?

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my past couple tanks of being a new reefer I’ve gotten lucky with the fish i have bought and to be quiet honest. I’ve never treated my fish! I buy from my lfs that I’ve been seeing for years trust them and their fish also their water the fish are in. I will bag acclimate and throw them in. How many of you do this as well? “Take the risk” lol

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my past couple tanks of being a new reefer I’ve gotten lucky with the fish i have bought and to be quiet honest. I’ve never treated my fish! I buy from my lfs that I’ve been seeing for years trust them and their fish also their water the fish are in. I will bag acclimate and throw them in. How many of you do this as well? “Take the risk” lol

I've gone fallow 3 times in the last 20+ years. With the ability to get QT'd livestock, my latest tank is only stocked with QT'd livestock for me. Additionally, for livestock I can't get QT'd, I use TTM.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living dangerously
IMG_3920-L.jpg

IMG_3921-L.jpg

I only get my fish from the best places like Petco, LA, my LFS, Blue Zoo and Saltwaterfish.com.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have QT'ed some and thrown some in. Even with the QT'ed fish, I didn't treat, just observed and never had to treat any of them. This is just luck, of course. I will probably regret it at some point.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never quarantine and have had good luck. That said, I always carefully look over my fish before purchasing, as well as the other fish in the same system. I have only had one ich outbreak and it was when I first got into the hobby.

Quarantining is definitely a good practice though if you have the means. It makes sense when you have a large system and have spent hundreds on fish.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan was to qt fish in one tank and qt inverts in another .
But got first 2 fish and one really ill am
And took back to lfs and it later died.i then thought and read lots threads and articles and even though some on rare occasions did lots qt with meds and all that and put cuc and corals in seperate tank for over 76 days,they still ended up getting sick fish or a corol parasite so even though qt everything minimises the risk tremendously it doesn't 100% guarantee it apparently or maybe just some thought did thorough qt but missed something idk.then reading about none qt tanks and trying to make things as natural as we can ( within reason) aquascape,food,tank mates,stress blah blah blah i ended up decided not qt.
I do dip corals but fat lot good that did as still isopods,spirobod worms,spaghetti worms and pods got through ( i know i didn't re frag every coral and brush every hard surface vigorously erc) but im only 8 months in so waiting to see if comes back to bite me,but so far nothing died .well 2 hermit crabs possible killed by halloween hermit and another rogue mini hermit so all good so far ^_^

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my past couple tanks of being a new reefer I’ve gotten lucky with the fish i have bought and to be quiet honest. I’ve never treated my fish! I buy from my lfs that I’ve been seeing for years trust them and their fish also their water the fish are in. I will bag acclimate and throw them in. How many of you do this as well? “Take the risk”
I don't treat fish in my current setup, but I do QT and observe (bag acclimate to temp and throw in). My LFS is very good (run by a local hobbyist who I've known for years and part of the reef club started it) and it's the only place I buy fish. When I started this tank I actually matched my salinity to theirs (1.025 - this means adding a little salt to my NSW) to ease the acclimation process.

Honestly, I believe very much in the QT process (inc. treatment) for fish coming from multiple LFS and/or ordered online. I realize that my observation only method is not without risks. But for me, it's worth it considering that my fish are all coming from the same place. QT and treatment is stressful for the fish. I try to strike a balance between being safe and minimizing stress on the fish.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never quarantine and have had good luck. That said, I always carefully look over my fish before purchasing, as well as the other fish in the same system. I have only had one ich outbreak and it was when I first got into the hobby.

Quarantining is definitely a good practice though if you have the means. It makes sense when you have a large system and have spent hundreds on fish.
Absolutely agree on the QT A good observation of your purchases is key!

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't treat fish in my current setup, but I do QT and observe (bag acclimate to temp and throw in). My LFS is very good (run by a local hobbyist who I've known for years and part of the reef club started it) and it's the only place I buy fish. When I started this tank I actually matched my salinity to theirs (1.025 - this means adding a little salt to my NSW) to ease the acclimation process.

Honestly, I believe very much in the QT process (inc. treatment) for fish coming from multiple LFS and/or ordered online. I realize that my observation only method is not without risks. But for me, it's worth it considering that my fish are all coming from the same place. QT and treatment is stressful for the fish. I try to strike a balance between being safe and minimizing stress on the fish.
100% agree. If there’s visible issues with the fish of course im Going to ask questions and set up a quarantine. Or if it was thrown in my tank and then began to show signs sure I’d pull the fish and do what needs to
Be done But I’ve never set up a treatment before hand going to my DT That being said I’ve consider my self lucky lol

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never quarantined and I only treat with prazi pro. My first tank in 2006 had an outbreak of ich only one loss. 2nd tank flawless no issues or losses ran for 4 years. Current tank 210 with tangs including powder brown tang, angels and wrasses 0 losses now and no signs of disease for 2 years now. I feel if you feed heavy with proper nutrition, choose wisely on healthy fish, not overstock your tank and have a ton of hiding/ sleeping spaces you will be able to succeed without quarantine.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to qt. Wrasses didn't like it, anthias didn't like it. Most of them didn't survive 2 weeks in the qt. Of course, probably my fault. No hana copper checker but I watched ammonia. After so many dead fish, I just drop anthias and wrasse into the dt. I never lost any of the dt to illness. It was either, a serpent starfish ate them, or a jump to the death from a crack in the cover. I can't prove this. It was years ago.

I currently have a CBB from blue zoo. I did not quarantine the fish. I have been talking to other owners of cbb's as mine is on the small side, but eating. I will see if any of the fish in my dt develop illness. 1 yr old tank. We will see. I won't lie.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most of my time in the hobby I never quarantined fish, but I have just recently seen the error of my ways and started doing it. It also prevents me from buying fish too quickly because I qt them for 6 weeks before putting them in my display.

I only get my fish from the best places like Petco, LA, my LFS, Blue Zoo and Saltwaterfish.com.
Is there a LFS near you that I don't know about? Due to a lack of LFS many of my fish also came from PetCo, which I've had pretty good success (or possibly luck) with.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to qt. Wrasses didn't like it, anthias didn't like it. Most of them didn't survive 2 weeks in the qt. Of course, probably my fault. No hana copper checker but I watched ammonia. After so many dead fish, I just drop anthias and wrasse into the dt. I never lost any of the dt to illness. It was either, a serpent starfish ate them, or a jump to the death from a crack in the cover. I can't prove this. It was years ago.

I currently have a CBB from blue zoo. I did not quarantine the fish. I have been talking to other owners of cbb's as mine is on the small side, but eating. I will see if any of the fish in my dt develop illness. 1 yr old tank. We will see. I won't lie.
That’s really a big thought of mine is how much more stressful is it to fish having to qt is more detrimental to the fishes life then just throwing it in the tank and hoping for the best ? I guess if things happen you can come back and treat.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back