How many of you use Lanthanum Chloride to reduce phosphates?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you use Lanthanum Chloride to reduce phosphates? What do you do when dosing it? Any special instructions other than just dosing as directed on the bottle?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found this video by @melev, and it doesn't look like anything else is needed. :) Only difference is that I'm not running a skimmer right now on the tank. I wonder how important that is for using LaCl.

Last edited:

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Blue Life Phosphate Rx and manually dose it dropwise, slowly, into the center of my skimmer. I usually do small doses (10 or 20 drops into an 80 gallon system, depending on my levels) roughly every couple weeks.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip diluted seaklear into a 10 micron filter sock once a week. Definitely better than dripping straight into the tank or skimmer IMO.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry guys. I just realized I forgot to link the video. ;Facepalm Edited post above to add it in.

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also use seaklear commercial for pools use ca 7ml to 1 litre ro water in a feeding bag dripping to a 5 micron sock from one of the returns from the overflow over couple of hours works great and cheap never had any visibly on ICP test

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 gallon mixed reef. 2.6 mL of SeaKlear commercial in 1L r/o dripped into my skimmer daily.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used with good results by dripping into the skimmer intake.

I actually need to order more and found that Tropic Marin has a pre mixed version. I’m going to try this out next week...

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use phosban-L, I tried using gfo but It would exhaust so fast and I could never get it below .43. If I don't feed or dose lanthanum my phosphates rise by about .12 a day until they are at .6 ish. I dose diluted though a 1micron filter sock on a side loop.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little chart showing what mL takes what ppm PO4 from various gallons. *Based on bottle claims
Screenshot_20201012-190747.jpg

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you drip it directly inside of the skimmer or into skimmer intake/ chamber?

I made a hole in my skimmer cup, to drip it directly into the rising bubbles. The idea is, the precipitate will be easily skimmed out. The bummer is, a lot of the precipitate adheres to the neck of the skimmer and forms a white layer. It is pretty tough to clean off. Vinegar and citric acid don’t do much. I have some dilute hydrochloric acid to try next.
Unfortunately, because I have an automatic neck wiper, I can’t run a line deeper into the body of the skimmer.

Because of this precipitate, I would not drip it into the air or skimmer intakes.

But remember, the only reason I’m working on this, is to reduce the temporary cloudiness that can happen when dosing LaCl. It does clear by itself through settling and your mechanical filtration. It is not a big deal.

I’ve just switched to dosing it at night, and in the morning I don’t see any cloudiness.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used with good results by dripping into the skimmer intake.

I actually need to order more and found that Tropic Marin has a pre mixed version. I’m going to try this out next week...

@SDK have you used the Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos? Curious as I am thinking of buying it to reduce PO4 slowly then switch back to GFO.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it for a long time without any issues. Definitely prefer it to GFO at this point because I can keep PO4 stable at whatever target point without the peaks and valleys that GFO can lead to. Like a lot of others, I dilute with RO/DI and drip very slowly into the neck of the skimmer.

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dosed it into my Clarisea Rollermat - 20 microns, likely smaller as many are partially plugged.

My issue has been that my Tyree Pink Lemon-aid colony began to RTN after 3 to 5 days of dosing. I’ve used LC twice with the same result, no other SPS was affected. I’ve had this colony for years without any issue. I might try again with a 5 micron sock. The dose was fairly conservative - .7ml of Tropic Marine on a 100 gallon system.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back