How many of you would keep a Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) tank?

Would keep a Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR) tank?

• Yes! I've got one going now! (Bonus points if you share your FOWLR with us!)

Votes: 83 21.1%
  • Nope. It's just not for me.

Votes: 108 27.4%
  • I'm thinking about it.

Votes: 50 12.7%
  • Yes, I'd consider it, but only as a 2nd tank. Reefing is my 1st love!

Votes: 145 36.8%
  • What's a FOWLR??

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in the 90s unfortunately no pictures that I can lay my hands on. 4x2x2 and then a 6x2x2.5 broke them all down in 94 and was out of the hobby because of so many moves until 2017.
id have another but it would have to be a pretty good size for angels and tangs

Mike565

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my FOWLR. 1700gal. Its been running for about 4 yrs now. Recently installed a biopellet reactor to try and work down the nitrates. Lost several fish about 1 1/2 yrs ago from an ick outbreak. Its been treated with copper and seems good since then. I am hesitant to add new fish since this group has been together for quite a while now - not sure how they will treat newcomers;Chicken. I'll have to do it at some point though - probably a batch of 1/2 a dozen.

Attachments

• IMG_4453.jpg
    IMG_4453.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 174

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Besties! There wasn’t an option if you had a FOWLR tank in the past. I had two up and running along time ago sadly I do not have pictures. They were a 75 gallon and 45 gallon tanks. I enjoyed the heck out of them the triggerfish and puffer fish have so much personality. If you get the right fish they can be just as beautiful and fun to watch. After finally getting back into the hobby and still setting up my tank I’m really undecided which way to go atm. Still working on plumbing and equipment installs. So many things have changed. Either way if I good corals or fowlr there will definitely be some sort of triggerfish!

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my FOWLR. 1700gal. Its been running for about 4 yrs now. Recently installed a biopellet reactor to try and work down the nitrates. Lost several fish about 1 1/2 yrs ago from an ick outbreak. Its been treated with copper and seems good since then. I am hesitant to add new fish since this group has been together for quite a while now - not sure how they will treat newcomers;Chicken. I'll have to do it at some point though - probably a batch of 1/2 a dozen.
Woah that's a sick setup!!

Ossypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I am starting up my own FOWLR and this is definitely inspiring. How is the Harlequin Tusk with the Starfish? I want to add a star to my own tank but am afraid the Tusk will bother it.
Its plastic, its my 4yr old sons contribution to " dads tank" .....

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Would you ever consider keeping a Fish Only tank?
Yes
2) What are some reasons you would or wouldn't consider it?
Because a certain fish is doing everything he can to make it a "no coral zone" despite my best efforts!
Must get to frags (2).jpg

;Drool ;Hilarious ( You're lucky the wife likes you Terminator, even though even she calls you F-face.)

Spongking1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one going now myself. Had tons of euphyllia. Had crash. Lost it all. Now I’m rockin the fish. In the loss I decided now good time for my angels ive always wanted. So picked up beautiful Transitioning Emperator and transitioning Blue Ring angel. They re doing great with Aussie Tusk, Purple tang, yellow tang, blue eye Kole tang, foxface, red coris wrasse, melanarus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, pintail fairy wrasse, 2 clowns. I’m really loving how happy they all seem to be.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started out back in the mid 80's fowlr.
no reason to go backwards.
i'm toying with the idea (if we don't sell the house) of adding a second in wall next to the current.
pred tank.
moray, lion, angler, clown trig.
can still do softies, which is predominately what my reef tank is.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck with corals so I realize I liked fish far more. I couldn't care less about sticks and expensive corals dying, measuring the chemistry etc. Fish all day > corals

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a tank for a puffer eventually. Might still put some frags in from time to time.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Would you ever consider keeping a Fish Only tank?

Probably not. When I started my first tank all I wanted were fish but that was partly because I thought corals were outside of my skillset. Since then I've gone coral crazy!

2) What are some reasons you would or wouldn't consider it?

If I did it would be a second (third?) tank and only because there was some sort of coral eating fish that I just had to have. But as much as I'd like to have an angel, I'd probably give one a go in my reef tank before I'd go FOWLR. Really, if it was that bad I'd probably rehome the fish. I like my corals and I think my fish do too.

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon me if this has all been said before, but I really like my fowlr. I can have the fish I want, the inverts, that I want and all of the coralline encrusted rock. I never have to be very concerned about my fish, as I buy from a great place and have a peaceful group. When I kept corals, I very much enjoyed them, but the constant worry about their health kept me from completely enjoying it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I have been thinking of a large 240+ FLOWR for years.
I guess I could do it in the unfinished basement but I decided ageist it has I want to enjoy the fish more that a few min a day when feeding.

I tired to talk the other half into another large tank to go along with the RS650P set up as a room divider. she wanted nothing to do with it. even tho we have a 2 tank rule so I was not breaking....it at-last sadly I lost the battle.

but yeah I think a good fish only is cool. seen some bad one too. just like anything I guess there is an art to it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLRs are awesome. I've had a 240 gallon (8x2x2) in my great room for at least 10 years now.

I have 5 full size marine angels in there (Queen, Asfur, Emperor, French, and Annularis), a couple of dwarf angels, a Porcupine Puffer, a few tangs, etc. You don't need to worry about PAR levels, flow rates, and to a lesser degree, nitrate and phosphate levels. I have a separate reef tank as well, but if I could only keep one, I'd ditch the corals and stick with the fish.
pics or it did not happen :D
I have one going now myself. Had tons of euphyllia. Had crash. Lost it all. Now I’m rockin the fish. In the loss I decided now good time for my angels ive always wanted. So picked up beautiful Transitioning Emperator and transitioning Blue Ring angel. They re doing great with Aussie Tusk, Purple tang, yellow tang, blue eye Kole tang, foxface, red coris wrasse, melanarus wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, pintail fairy wrasse, 2 clowns. I’m really loving how happy they all seem to be.
nice! phots too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back