How many of you would put GSP in your tank?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do don't need a gravel cleaner - you need a lawnmower!
I cut about 100 frags of it every couple months. I trade them in at the lfs for $5ea. When I sell other frags on fb i throw them in for free if people want them

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 small rocks of it. Trying to decide whether to place as an island or just let them grow. Growing on the overflow seems like it would be cool at first and then a pain later. Kinda undecided at this point.

Ive only just glued mine so no personal experience but Watch this video.he says just peels off the flat surface on back tank and cut with a razor blade to trim it takes like 30 seconds.im guessing when it grown right upto top of tank/overflow then you would only need trim it once a month or so if cut off an inch

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twenty-odd years ago, I made out pretty well selling (for store credit) colonies of GSPs. I had GSPs covering the back wall of a 90G tank. I collected oyster shells from a local Chinese restaurant. I used a razor blade to cut GSPs to size and cover an oyster shell. I held the GSPs in place with a few rubber bands. In a 2 or 3 weeks they were well enough attached to the shells, and I delivered them to my LFS. They would jokingly refer to me as "Mr. Green Star Polyps". Don't laugh - in time they paid for an oak hood and an oak stand for my180, as well as the cost of moving a used 180 from the previous owner's home into my home, as well as the delivery of my hood/stand. Thank you Jeff/ & Paul!

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GSP on my overflow. Just keep an eye on it and scrape it back when it gets to the top. Easy. To get it to grow on the back, I put a small rock next to my GSP island and it spread on to it. Then place it against the surface you want it to grow on.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small piece almost 2 years ago. It now covers the whole rock in the picture. The rock now sits in a corner of a bare bottom tank. Every couple of months I have to pick up the rock and scrape what has grown onto the bottom glass off with a razor blade-takes a whole 2 minutes to do. I won't put it in any other tank I have, but I like it and that rock is here to stay.
DSC02513.JPG

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a softball size rock covered with it currently. I've had in on the back glass before... it's pretty easy to manage on glass, just use a razor blade to scrape it off before it spreads anywhere I don't want it to go.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some on a separate rock that looks like an arrow head. It will go in the new tank, in the back corner, all by itself!! The palys, hairy green mushroom, and rhodactis are also on their own rocks which will be placed on the sandbed in their own little areas. Far far from anything else
20210321_122911.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have branching GSP on an island in my nano. My porcelain crab lives there and fans all day. The GSP has been on that island through two tanks and has never left the island even with nearly two years of growing, it just gets more branches and grows more up. When it starts to reach out too far a quick snip with the scissors to a branch or two tames it in seconds. It fluoresces beautifully and has great movement. Zero complaints.

gsp.jpg
Beautiful

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it growing on the overflow wall and was just super gluing pieces of gsp onto a wave box yesterday. The movement and color are crowd pleasers, and less glass for me to scrape clean is a plus! (Just cut off leggy parts and maintain where you want it.)

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you would put GSP in your tank? If so, would you put it on your back wall? On the back of your rock work? Where would you have it?
I have set up a 125 reef tank and I am going to have all soft corals and I plan on putting GSP on my back wall, I was thinking of putting it on the bottom since it is a bare bottom but I want to have Zoas and I think it would be better on the back wall, at least that is my plan

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep thinking about getting some pulsing xenia, but I read to many threads from people asking how to get rid of it when it overtakes the tank. I've considered just putting a small rock in one of the corners of the tank and sticking it there. Is it not able to spread across the substrate?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if it didn’t take hold on sand. If I could keep it on an island and it wouldn’t go anywhere else, I would keep it. Plus, I kinda don’t like it. It looks like grass IMO and the last thing you want people to say when they’re over is “Hey! Look at that neon grass!”

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one large rock (about 6 pounds) that I have seeded with gsp. My intent is to let it be completely covered then move it so it is a nice grassy island.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of it but it seems to grow in cycles. After 8 or so years it croaks and something else takes over. Maybe Godzilla Larvae. :confused:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back