How many ounces or pounds of fish would a gram of fish flakes feed, once a day?

markfleener

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many ounces or pounds of fish would a gram of fish flakes feed, once a day? Or do you know of any specs to gauge how much a certain amount of food should feed?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish flakes usually float away or sink to the bottom before they are eaten and decompose. Rule of thumb is to feed a pinch and see how fast the fish eat it all. If they eat it all use a bigger pinch. If they dont eat it all then you use a smaller pinch. Some fish wont eat flakes so its hard to figure the flake weight vs fish weight.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a pinch, place it in the water (this allows them to "swim" and not float at the top), and just make sure everyone gets a few bits. I usually like to feed it twice a day. The goal is to have less leftovers so you will just need to figure out how much your fish will eat.

OP
OP
M

markfleener

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've since found that people in aquaponics feed 1 - 1.5% the weight of the fish, as if any of us in the aquarium hobby know that, but just thought I would add that here.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a pinch, place it in the water (this allows them to "swim" and not float at the top), and just make sure everyone gets a few bits. I usually like to feed it twice a day. The goal is to have less leftovers so you will just need to figure out how much your fish will eat.
Ditto. No hard and fast formula as to amount. Just that less is usually more when it comes to feeding fish.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back