How many people have a frag tank?

hoanle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder how many of you guys have a frag tank besides your main DT. I'm planning to build one soon.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80 gallon deep blue with a 40g sump a RDSB for filtration I rely on my remote sand bed and my refugium with chaeto. For lighting I have a 8 bulb ATI fixture 5x blueplus 2x coral plus 1xpurple plus. Artica 1/10 horse power chiller. 2X SICCE voyager 2's 1x SICCE voyager 3.. And I love it hard to fill up though a lot of room. And its in my garage

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I wanted to take a step back from the hobby so I sold my DT and setup a small 14 gallon AIO frag tank. The plan was to collect as many frags as possible so when the time came for me to once again setup a DT, I could simply glue the frags and enjoy watching them grow. What I didn't realize was, how much I would enjoy selling and trading frags. I never really fragged any corals when I had my DT. But now with my new frag tank, I truly find it to be a win win situation. Now, I'm able to sell/trade frags to acquire or help cover the cost for new pieces, and alone the way I've met two reefers which I now consider to be really good friends of mine. For me, a frag tank is much less stressful then running a DT. Not sure exactly why, but it just is. I'm actually quite surprised at how much my collection has expanded in a relatively short period of time when compared to just running a DT. So much so, that I now have a Deep Blue 30 gallon rimless frag tank :)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 40 breeders in the basement for frag tanks, they also double as a QT for new fish, as one of them is empty. It is definitely nice to have, there are no frags on my sand bed (other than a couple zoos that need moving) and no duplicates in the DT that way.

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that have frag tanks, do you have all of the tanks plumbed together? i was thinking of setting up a frag tank but can't come up with a good way to plumb it to my DT.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been think of turning my BC 29 into a frag tank, but haven't done so yet. Currently just utilizing it as a new fish qt / not sure system. Btw, this is still sock and isn't plumbed into my dt (my 240).

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have one linked to my DT
DSC_0034-4.jpg

DSC_0019-3.jpg

DSC_0018-3.jpg

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good looking frag tank izo. I just bought a 30x12x6 acrylic frag tank this morning.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I set up a frag tank, it eventually turns into another display tank...lol. I've set up a frag tank 3 different times and it never fails to become a display tank. Eventually, maybe soon, our 40 breeder, which was a frag tank and became a display, may revert back to a dedicated frag tank.

OP
OP
H

hoanle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a frag tank jrizo1 :smile:. It looks even more beautiful than my DT.

larryl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 165 72x24x22 DT with a 25x25x12 FT tied into a 75 gallon sump. I'm running out of room so I'm going to have to get another frag tank!

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm running an 80g deep blue with a 50g sump filter and refugium. Kessil 10k over sump, 2 Kessil 20ks and 14k halide pendant over frag tank. Approx 125+ frags.... Running our of room.. halide isn't on now so pics will be weird due to LEDs and crappy phone camera.[AT
IMAG0337.jpg
TACH=CONFIG]28y772[/ATTACH]
IMAG0336.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0335.jpg
    IMAG0335.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 168

Clearwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrizo those are some nice frag racks. Where did you get them? Nice frag tank. I have a separate system from my display the only reason is its in the garage. If I could make it one system it would be easier. Testing water. Skimming. Changing media. Etc etc

jstlsn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a frag tank. My display is always full of frag racks.

corals1dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are a collector you might as well bight the bullet and set up a seperate frag tank.That way you can do trimming and cutting of your mother colonies without making your display tank cluttered with frags and taking away from the display aspect.Also you can more easily move your frags and adjust them without losing them in the rockwork or disturbing the other livestock in the display.I personally had a 360 gallon display that i just sold saturday because of an upcoming move,but i also have a 72" x 36" x9.5" rimless acrylic frag tank that i keep all my frags in and now some of my cherished corals that i could not part with.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say 6 months into the hobby i started my first frag tank. Before I even stepped into the business side of the hobby I was a serious collector. I have come to enjoy my frag tank more then my display itself. I love to go down stairs and look down and see a couple hundred chalice frags and feed them and just adore the variety of colors I have collected.

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrizo those are some nice frag racks. Where did you get them? Nice frag tank. I have a separate system from my display the only reason is its in the garage. If I could make it one system it would be easier. Testing water. Skimming. Changing media. Etc etc

the frag racks are from The Blue Glow
The Blue Glow

Knight_Fall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish i had room to set up a frag tank. guess i will have to make sure my next house has an extra room. you know for company to sleep in. j/k. going to be my frag room and have my sump and all the little gizmos and gadgets i need. the company can sleep in the garage......if the next house has a garage. lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back