How many people run two Return pumps on their reef tanks??

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting my new SCA Rimless 150 build! I am just waiting on my ApexCOR20 return pump. I have decided that I am going to be running one Verta M1 return pump for my manifold and the ApexCOR20 will be used for my main return pump for my 1'' returns,.
Synergy 20'' External Overflow box.
Ext Overflow box.jpeg

Synergy CL-44
54255076_10219158042090606_5123746248683159552_n.jpg

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two pumps with their outlets tee’d together which feeds my manifold and return to display. I would have rather run them on completely separate lines back to the display but I have a remote sump and could only run one line. Provides a great backup in case of failure (yes, in my previous setup I had a return pump fail while two states away from home).

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run 2 returns, and boy am I sorry about that decision. I purchased a pump that has been a major PITA, and I'm on my 3rd RMA for it. I've had about 6-10 pump failures with this thing, but luckily it's occurred while I'm at work or home. So far, it's been 8 or 10 hours max without really causing much harm.

I'm very interested in adding a second pump, but not sure what the best way to accomplish that with an existing system is. Right now, I have my main pump directly plumbed to the DT, and it goes through a 3 manifold system. Only 1 of the manifolds are in use (rotating chaeto) and the other 2 are free. I've thought about plumbing a 2nd pump into one of the remaining manifolds, but if 1 pump fails, wouldn't all the water just go back through the failed pump? I guess I could use check valves or something, but I've read a bunch of warnings about using check valves, so I'm hesitant.

It sounds like it'd be best for me to put a 2nd pump in and just use one of those 'hang over the back' returns, but that'll look cheesy.

If you are just building the tank, my advice would be to plumb a 2nd return in there. I really wish I had.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dhof -Yep, that is what I am going to be doing with my EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 and I just bought a brand new #ApexCor20 return pump, going use each pump for each return.
Feel Free to follow along my build thread since I am getting ready to start hard pluming my 1.5inch drains from my Synergy 20'' External Overflow box and my CL-44 Synergy sump.
Everyone that runs two return pumps, would you mind sharing some pictures of how you hard plumbing your two return pumps?
''

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual overflow 180.
2 drain, 2 returns
Eheim 1262 is the main pump. Sicce Syncra 3 go to a uv and reactor the. Other return line. Running 2 pumps is not an issue unless it is a pump the throws off a lot of heat.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
920175A8-357F-465A-AC03-D33D112F74D0.jpeg

In my middle chamber is my skimmer and my Syncra 3. The pump goes up into the reactor in that chamber, then thru a uv and then to my return. The last chamber is the Eheim 1262, run strait to other return

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two return pumps. Dual mag12 pumps, one to each return. They provide they only flow for my tank

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 returns at a lower flow rate on my tank. It serves a few purposes-

1) Redundancy in case of failure.
2) In a power outage, one shuts off. Having just one running at a slower rate draws less power from my battery back up, meaning a longer run time.
3) They go to different return nozzles on different sides of tank, this allows me to dial in my speed and settings if they need to run differently.

Ideally one would just have their aquarium controller have control over their pump speed, however, the pumps I required do not integrate into APEX.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about plumbing a 2nd pump into one of the remaining manifolds, but if 1 pump fails, wouldn't all the water just go back through the failed pump? I guess I could use check valves or something, but I've read a bunch of warnings about using check valves, so I'm hesitant.

Yes, you need to use a check valve on the outlet if each pump. You are correct that in most cases, check valves are not to be trusted. This application is different, you are not relying on them to prevent your house from flooding, only to block the majority of backflow in a failure. You still want to make sure that your sump can handle the full volume of back-siphon from the tank in the event of a failure. If the check valve failed, the pump would just cycle back to the sump which defeats the purpose of the second return but you’d be in no worse position than if you hadn’t used check valves. Additionally, they are less likely to fail in this application as there is pressure in the line above the valve which will help force it shut, and even if it does not completely close it still fulfills it’s purpose.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need to use a check valve on the outlet if each pump. You are correct that in most cases, check valves are not to be trusted. This application is different, you are not relying on them to prevent your house from flooding, only to block the majority of backflow in a failure. You still want to make sure that your sump can handle the full volume of back-siphon from the tank in the event of a failure. If the check valve failed, the pump would just cycle back to the sump which defeats the purpose of the second return but you’d be in no worse position than if you hadn’t used check valves. Additionally, they are less likely to fail in this application as there is pressure in the line above the valve which will help force it shut, and even if it does not completely close it still fulfills it’s purpose.

Interesting. I like this logic. Thx

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back