How many people run two Return pumps on their reef tanks??

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my system: 1770B617-EC02-416D-BF2D-31CB8A0AEB26.jpeg
I have 2 Cor 20s as returns in 2 trigger sumps connected with a 3” pvc
image.jpg
Left return feeds uv and right return feeds chiller. Left sump hosts the skimmer and right houses a fuge.
Looks like a nightmare, but does the job beautifully.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two returns pumps but no check valves. Since they require additional maintenance and can fail my sump is large enough that when my system is off it can drain all the water without issues.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two returns pumps but no check valves. Since they require additional maintenance and can fail my sump is large enough that when my system is off it can drain all the water without issues.

What do you do to prevent the failed pump from siphoning back?

I get that your sump handles the back siphoning, but wouldn’t one failed pump siphoning raise your sump level and mess skimmer, probes, etc in the meantime while the 1 pump is still running?

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the pump drains enough the return is exposed to air it breaks it. The sump has at least 10” more to support any additional drainage after it is all done siphoning.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the pump drains enough the return is exposed to air it breaks it. The sump has at least 10” more to support any additional drainage after it is all done siphoning.

Do you have both return nozzles at the same level under the water surface? Wondering if after the failed pump siphons, the drop in display water would expose the still running pump nozzle to air and cause splashing.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had splashing in that instance but could be a problem if not set properly. If I can avoid parts that require maintenance I do as my goal is to be more focused on the livestock than the gear.

tyryfin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the two return pump system. Each of the returns also supply water to auxiliary equipment. One runs the UV setup and the other pump runs the chiller, skimmer, algae reactor, and calcium reactor. The pump are Red Dragon 3's. I like the fact that unless both pumps fail at the same time water will circulate in case of a pump failure

boxgj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two return pumps as well....redundancy is a good thing :)
how do you have your 2 return pumps running? i thought about doing that as well for my 50 gallon one for just return and the other for accessories

Back