How many personal saltwater tanks have you had in the hobby over the years?

How many personal saltwater tanks have you had in the hobby over the years?

• 1- 3

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • 4 - 6

Votes: 42 43.3%
  • 7 - 10

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • 10 - 15

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • 16+

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of all of the fish tanks I've had over the years and the evolution of the builds. All saltwater tanks for me in the last 12 years from mixed reefs to FOWLR.

Here's my list:

Reef Ready:
55g Aqueon
54g Aqueon (corner tank)
90g Marineland
57g Rimless Deep Blue Edge
120g Oceanic Tech Tank
144g Oceanic Half Circle
150g Marineland
450 Model RedSea Reefer
187g (Custom in-wall build)
103g Proclear Cylinder

Plus all of the freshwater tanks before that ...10g, 37g, 45, 55, 135

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started with a 54 corner then a 29 bio cube
Currently a 210
Daughter has a 10 gallon with a figure 8 puffer acclimated to salt
The figure 8 is super cool. My local LFS had one a few months ago in one of their saltwater displays also.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Started with a 20H FOWLR in high school. Super cheap setup (HOB filter, crappy stock light, etc) that I overstocked. Somehow it all survived until I broke it down when I went to college. No idea what I was doing and I’m extremely lucky I didn’t crash it.

Next was a 40 breeder w/20 gallon sump. Bought the dry setup off of a guy on Craigslist. This was a softie reef and my most frustrating tank. I battled all sorts of disease outbreaks, technical issues (bad plumbing, equipment fails, etc), and had the most die off (coral and fish) I’ve ever had. Had this setup for 4 years before breaking down and selling for a move.

Next was a 26g bow front. My ex had the tank and stand from a freshwater setup she had briefly. I cleaned it, drilled it, added a 10g sump and a cheap (first gen Current Orbit Marine) led to grow some softies and LPS. Loved this tank for 4 years (survived a breakup and 2 moves) before selling the complete setup to a nearby reefer before another move to a place with less room

My current setup is a little 13.5 Evo. It’s an introduction to reefing for my fiancée and it fits nicely in our condo (which is not huge, in the middle of the city). If she likes it enough (and so far she does(, I’d like to upgrade to one of the Red Sea or Waterbox midsize (54/51 gallon) AIO setups. That’s at least a year down the road.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you put 1-3 in the same category. Didn’t realize it would take 3 to keep 1 running.:p Currently 75, 20 long and daughter has 13.5.
I had more than I thought when I came up with my list. But it's exactly what you said. It took at least two to have one lol.. QT tank hangs around.. eventually becomes a second tank. Reef vs fowlr.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago in a far far away galaxy, I started with a 10 gallon and soon discovered that it was insanely difficult to keep anything alive and in the 80's bigger was more stable.
Within weeks I had a 30 gallon (yeah I laugh too) and then graduated to a 55 all within 6 months.
Then I saw a 90 gallon and it was love at first sight she made it home and then saw an ad for a 130 gallon cheap. I sold the 90 gallon to a friend and bought the 130, mind you all this took place in under a year lol. 32 years later I still have that 130.

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago in a far far away galaxy, I started with a 10 gallon and soon discovered that it was insanely difficult to keep anything alive and in the 80's bigger was more stable.
Within weeks I had a 30 gallon (yeah I laugh too) and then graduated to a 55 all within 6 months.
Then I saw a 90 gallon and it was love at first sight she made it home and then saw an ad for a 130 gallon cheap. I sold the 90 gallon to a friend and bought the 130, mind you all this took place in under a year lol. 32 years later I still have that 130.
That's great. I think many of us can relate. The excitement of the beginning a new build then seeing potential in a bigger tank gets the creative juices flowing lol. Hey you ran through 4 tanks and settled on the 5th one within a year. Good thing you didn't keep that pace. You wouldn't have 150+ tanks lol. But 32 years on a tank that awesome!

OP
OP
K

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Started with a 20H FOWLR in high school. Super cheap setup (HOB filter, crappy stock light, etc) that I overstocked. Somehow it all survived until I broke it down when I went to college. No idea what I was doing and I’m extremely lucky I didn’t crash it.

Next was a 40 breeder w/20 gallon sump. Bought the dry setup off of a guy on Craigslist. This was a softie reef and my most frustrating tank. I battled all sorts of disease outbreaks, technical issues (bad plumbing, equipment fails, etc), and had the most die off (coral and fish) I’ve ever had. Had this setup for 4 years before breaking down and selling for a move.

Next was a 26g bow front. My ex had the tank and stand from a freshwater setup she had briefly. I cleaned it, drilled it, added a 10g sump and a cheap (first gen Current Orbit Marine) led to grow some softies and LPS. Loved this tank for 4 years (survived a breakup and 2 moves) before selling the complete setup to a nearby reefer before another move to a place with less room

My current setup is a little 13.5 Evo. It’s an introduction to reefing for my fiancée and it fits nicely in our condo (which is not huge, in the middle of the city). If she likes it enough (and so far she does(, I’d like to upgrade to one of the Red Sea or Waterbox midsize (54/51 gallon) AIO setups. That’s at least a year down the road.
It's funny how we hobbiest can tie in the tank timeliness with our life events. And if you get spousal buy in even better. My wife's supports it... close enough to understand and appreciate the hobby, but far enough to let it be my thing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
16 over the years and they just keep getting larger and larger

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20,55,75,13.5,150 not counting fish breeding tanks, qt, etc. Eventually I want to silicone the windows in my house, fill er with water and live in a reef tank, just have one dry room for sleeping. Now to ask the other half what she thinks...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back