How many pods can a tiny Ruby Red dragonette eat in a couple of minutes?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people who want dragonettes like this little female Ruby Red, scooter bleeny or mandarins, just look at how many pods she can eat in a couple of minutes........Thousands a day so unless you want to go broke buying pods, an aged tank is best.

I have a pair of these, mandarins, scooters and blue stripe pipefish so many pods are essential.
I have never bought a pod in my life. :)

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one about to graduate QT- will go into the display tomorrow night! I hope he continues to eat TDO pellets and frozen foods during dinner time along with all the pods.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, I thought this was going to be a quiz... I was all ready to say 87per minute.

You :p
calculating the hangover GIF

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Copperband Butterfly fish could give them a run for their money. He can get into spots they can't to find rocks. I watch it hunt pods and its funny to see him dart into a rocky crevice and come out with his beak munching on something. He hunts constantly. Day and night. Eats frozen at dinner time, but hunts the other 24 hours. . . It's crazy how much he eats!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For people who want dragonettes like this little female Ruby Red, scooter bleeny or mandarins, just look at how many pods she can eat in a couple of minutes........Thousands a day so unless you want to go broke buying pods, an aged tank is best.

I have a pair of these, mandarins, scooters and blue stripe pipefish so many pods are essential.
I have never bought a pod in my life. :)

you'd be surprised. About 200+

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
compared to a coris wrasse yea that's slow xD they eat everything an than get that horrible druggy looking for a fix face. I hate keeping fish that you can't keep happy it's the worst feeling ever!

oldbob50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about pods/minute but I do know that my 80 gal. tank can support one of these animals at a time. My current one is a Red Scooter and it is quite happy and well fed. It does come out at feeding time and gets some of the frozen food reaching the substrate but it hunts pods constantly. I don't buy pods, since I raise Tisbee pods in a separate tank. I am adding the equivalent of one 16oz bottle every week. I also feed 100 ml of live phytoplankton per day. The fish have all they can eat and I always have pods grazing on the glass algae after the lights go out.

I would pass this opinion on for consideration. The cleaner and more pristine your tank is the harder it is to keep your pod level up. These things love detritus and green things to eat. So the more your rocks are covered with algae and other food the better. This is an ecosystem so the more we try to make it clean the less life it can support. The trick it to balance everything. If you want pristine and clean that is fine. However, that probably will not support a large amount or variety of pods and other zooplankton. Be assured that the fish will eat everything they can so the pods need to reproduce at a rate equal to the rate of consumption.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate keeping fish that you can't keep happy it's the worst feeling ever!
My fish always have enough to eat and are always happy and spawning :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back