How many reefers also have freshwater tanks?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MNFish What angle? :p
angle fish.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkbait19 nailed it, striped raphael on top and a normal bristlenose pleco on the bottom. I funded my saltwater tanks (partially anyway) by selling bristlenose plecos and bosemani rainbowfish that I bred.
Nice! I thought I would also fund my sw adventure with my baby Red-spotted gobies but when I started to grow them out I felt I couldn't trust them to anyone else's care except mine so I still have them. I had to setup a separate tank to house all of the ones that survived to adulthood. I'm not doing so well at using them for extra money. Haha.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean…my skunk loach is always out but I just about never see my sun loaches (Y. Eos). They have recently started popping back up though.
Nice! My Neon loaches totally disappeared for three weeks after I added them. I thought for sure they died then one day they pulled the "Tremors" move. I jerked my hand out and screamed. I had forgotten all about them and my first thought was "how the hell did worms get in my tank?" I stood there totally bewildered until I realized they were my loaches. I have never felt such relief in my life. Firstly that they weren't worms and secondly that they were still alive. Haha.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My Neon loaches totally disappeared for three weeks after I added them. I thought for sure they died then one day they pulled the "Tremors" move. I jerked my hand out and screamed. I had forgotten all about them and my first thought was "how the hell did worms get in my tank?" I stood there totally bewildered until I realized they were my loaches. I have never felt such relief in my life. Firstly that they weren't worms and secondly that they were still alive. Haha.

More years ago than I care to count, my very first ever tank was a 10g FW that I got after I won a goldfish at the fair. I had put a Dojo loach in there to help with cleanup. One day he jumped out of the tank while I was gone. The cat found it behind the cabinet the tank was on and dragged it out scaring the bejezzus out of my mom. lol... She reminded me of that story just this past weekend while she was admiring my tanks.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had FW for years when I was younger - it lead me to my first SW tank.

Best FW tank I had was largemouth bass fry and FW catfish fry. They were pretty cool for a while.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I thought I would also fund my sw adventure with my baby Red-spotted gobies but when I started to grow them out I felt I couldn't trust them to anyone else's care except mine so I still have them. I had to setup a separate tank to house all of the ones that survived to adulthood. I'm not doing so well at using them for extra money. Haha.
I thought the same thing by using the spare basement space in my practice for raising Koi. Still havent gotten the pond set up!

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, I'm halfway serious when I wonder if my A360X refugium light can go on top of my 15 gallon freshwater cube.

You plants need light? I'll give you light!

-Hans

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More years ago than I care to count, my very first ever tank was a 10g FW that I got after I won a goldfish at the fair. I had put a Dojo loach in there to help with cleanup. One day he jumped out of the tank while I was gone. The cat found it behind the cabinet the tank was on and dragged it out scaring the bejezzus out of my mom. lol... She reminded me of that story just this past weekend while she was admiring my tanks.
Priceless!! Haha!

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of plants you got?
I’m sure Val would love it…

Nothing special really, I honestly don't even know the names of any of them except the java fern. But it's going through a GHA phase right now that I'm struggling to keep ahead of. Next time I clean and prune it I'll take some photos.

I don't want to go the whole "high tech" route with CO2 and all that nonsense. I enjoy just doing a daily feeding, prune every month or so, and water change when I'm in the mood. Just guppies and shrimp and that makes me happy.

-Hans

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special really, I honestly don't even know the names of any of them except the java fern. But it's going through a GHA phase right now that I'm struggling to keep ahead of. Next time I clean and prune it I'll take some photos.

I don't want to go the whole "high tech" route with CO2 and all that nonsense. I enjoy just doing a daily feeding, prune every month or so, and water change when I'm in the mood. Just guppies and shrimp and that makes me happy.

-Hans
CO2 is highly overrated. Just makes plants grow faster and that means more trimming and more fertilizer. I traded my CO2 tanks for coral haha

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is highly overrated. Just makes plants grow faster and that means more trimming and more fertilizer. I traded my CO2 tanks for coral haha
I will say that seachem excel did help to combat algae, not much else though.

-Hans
Agreed. The plants look nice but it’s the fish that make me happy.
I actually was able to kill if my algae problems by treating for ich. The algae couldn’t survive the salinity.

Back