How many reefers are nearby?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Maryland, just north of Bowie. I'm trying to get a fix on how many other reefers are nearby. Right now it seems pretty isolated.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of DMV reefers, you might want to check out WAMAS (Washington area marine aquarium society) for members near you.. going to local reef related stores if you have any is another good way to connect with fellow reefers in your area.

Ichthus1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are about 50 miles apart. There are some hobbyists in this area, but there are not many shops. The only LFS I can drive to in less than an hour is freshwater only. The Southern Maryland Marine Aquarium Society (SMMAS) is another group that you could consider. They just had a frag/equipment swap this past weekend. What size is your reef tank? Do you keep any freshwater fish?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit north of Baltimore, in Harford County. There's nothing really close to me. The closest is WAMAS, but DC is too far for me to go on a routine basis.

Ichthus1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything is like, an hour away?

If the usual traffic is taken into account, the nearest reef shop is just over an hour away from me. It is important for me to keep plenty of food, equipment and medications on hand in case of emergencies. Not all stores are open seven days a week or close enough to get to quickly in the event of a major emergency.

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined WAMAS last week. Most members seem to be more focused west of the beltway. There are numerous saltwater stores in that general locale also. Those of us on the east of the beltway unfortunately have fewer options within an hour radius. I live in Riverdale and the two closes stores to me are Tropical Lagoon (in Silver Spring) and House of Tropics (in Glenn Burnie). I typically frequent Tropical Lagoon because it has a more personal feel.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just joined WAMAS last week. Most members seem to be more focused west of the beltway. There are numerous saltwater stores in that general locale also. Those of us on the east of the beltway unfortunately have fewer options within an hour radius. I live in Riverdale and the two closes stores to me are Tropical Lagoon (in Silver Spring) and House of Tropics (in Glenn Burnie). I typically frequent Tropical Lagoon because it has a more personal feel.
The last 2 african cichlids I got from house of tropics brought columnaris with them and i lost my entire stock. There is a group in Laurel that I've been alerted to. They might be a nice place to call home.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to WAMAS.. maybe we will run into each other at a meeting sometime.

hetrickfarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harford County here as well. House of Tropics in Glen Burnie and CTE Aquatics in Timonium are the only shops I have visited locally. If you search FB you can find a couple of local groups.

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I definitely plan on going to the next meeting! I just haven’t found out the date or location as yet, still familiarizing myself with website.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back