How many stages of RODI filtration do I need?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is 0 TDS. A carbon filter, sediment filter, RO membrane and DI resin (4 stages) is pretty much the standard IMO.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with T-J, You absolutely need all 4 stages as the first 3 will only bring you down to 5-8 TDS (in my experience) and the final bit is removed from the DI resin. That final bit might seem like nothing but all it takes is a slight imbalance for an algae breakout or something worse so do yourself the favor and spend the extra ten bucks. I use the RO Buddy 50 gal 4 stage right now (here is a link to it https://tinyurl.com/y8suse8c) from amazon and have great results. I average about 15-20 gallons a day depending on how dilegent I am to change out my 5gal buckets when full. Its much easier if you have a 20gal brute can (which I just got today). Also get an inline TDS meter, I used this one https://tinyurl.com/ybay4j4f. Hope this helps!

Edit: My TDS is at 0 with my 4 stage. If you are in an area with really high TDS you can get dual stage DI to combat it but generally speaking 4 stage is plenty, especially if your county has a good water recycling system.

Last edited:

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this order
Sediment filter - Carbon filter 1 - Carbon filter 2 - RO membrane - DI membrane 1 - (optional) Di membrane 2

the dual stage DI will ensure you use the DI resin to its full capacity and truly have 0 TDS water as well. After RO you will likely still have 1-8TDS especially without a booster pump

so, 5 or 6 stages.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 stage is more than sufficient
Should probably add that it may depend pn your source water. I think mine reads at 35 parts. After going through 3 stages it reads 0, i just added a forth stage (di resin) to account for any deterioration in efficiency of the first 3 stages.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to check your water supply if municipal for chlorine or chloramines. Then you would need a chloramine blaster on top of listed above.
THIS.... it depends on the water supply. Your water and depending on what’s in it matters as to how many stages you need. Depending on if you are on a well or municipal water matters too.

If you are on municipal water you can get a water report, usually on line from your cities website.

Take that water report and call and talk to an expert at Spectrapure, BRS, or Marine depot. They should be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Some helpful videos

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back