How many tangs and angels to add to my nano?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread title was to grab attention. This is for a 240 gallon, 6' long with current inhabitants:
- 6 banggai cardinals
- 5 lyretail anthias
- Inverts (snails, shrimps, etc.)

Planned, but need advice:
- Kole tang
- Yellow tang (1, 2, or 3?)
- Flame angel
- Emperor angel (1 or 2?)
- Smaller fish like watchman goby or similar as sandbed matures

What do y'all think? How many tangs for my gang? Should I go for a pair of angels or just one? THis is not a fish only setup, but I want to make angels in a reef work. Planning to feed heavily and keep less delicious corals, like SPS.

What order should I add them?

I am nervous about being able to find a yellow tang these days, but I really like that color. Maybe mimic tangs instead? I don't love their adult colors but I like that they are less common.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the bigger question is how to stagger the introductions. (Also, how to procure fish that commonly come from Hawaii, which has a collection ban on).

I was thinking flame angel first. Then tangs all once. Then juvenile emperor. Each spaced a 2-3 months apart, but I'm not sure.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Kole tang
- Flame angel

I would do 1 of each tang and 1 emperor. Then a group of 3 flame angels added together as small juveniles.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a Yellow, and/or Purple and Kole or Tomini tangs (two, or at the most three small species of tangs). I would add either Imperator or better Regal Angel (maybe 2) and two or three Flame angels.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread title was to grab attention. This is for a 240 gallon, 6' long with current inhabitants:
- 6 banggai cardinals
- 5 lyretail anthias
- Inverts (snails, shrimps, etc.)

- Kole tang
- Flame angel

What do y'all think? How many tangs for my gang? Should I go for a pair of angels or just one? THis is not a fish only setup, but I want to make angels in a reef work. Planning to feed heavily and keep less delicious corals, like SPS.

What order should I add them?

I am nervous about being able to find a yellow tang these days, but I really like that color. Maybe mimic tangs instead? I don't love their adult colors but I like that they are less common.

I have a 6ft 180 and have 2 yellows, lt tang, flame tang, blue hippo and a vlaminigi. Along with a magnificent foxface, blue throat trigger, some anthias and other random smaller fish. We haven't had issues with the tangs. They do some occasional chasing if they go for the same hole but that's it.
We overfeed (and over skim/filter to make up for it) and I've found that doing the negative space rock scaping has helped a ton. Creates lots of hiding places and leaves lots of swimming room.

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title did grab my attention! Although not on your list, maybe take a look at an orange shoulder tang. I have one and it is one of my favorite fish. Always eating algae and beautiful. I had a mimic tang a few years ago, but I personally thought it was ugly and was a bully.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am adding a solo yellow tang first. Then what next? I wanted a Kole but those are hard to find. Then I want a juvenile emperor and a flame angel but flames are hard to find. A local reefer has a blueline angel but im not sure if I’m asking for trouble. Will 3 angels mean all corals are food? will the tang establish itself and bully the angels? This is a 3” fish I’m picking up. Putting it in quarantine for a while so I could still introduce an angel first or at the same time.

I was planning to keep sps and some low cost softies like Xenia and maybe GSP, which I wouldn’t mind losing if it became angel food.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangpolice1.jpg

False alarm boys, head back to the station...

Last edited:

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add the angels first, probably at the same time. Assuming they are juveniles, they will have a lot of room to spread out and shouse be less territorial. Then when the system can handle it, I would introduce all the the tangs simultaneously.

The issue is territorial aggression when new fish are introduced, so I always lean toward fewer introductions of larger batches of fish. Once the initial territory MMA fight is over and they are fed well, they will work it out.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend going with medium to smaller angels, something around 8" maximum size, for a 240. My Koran Angel I rehomed at just over 8" as it was becoming too "nippy" of my other fish, although it did a great job of eating nuisance anemones, zoas like candy, sponge, and LPS. It only occasionally picked at my acropora. I'd even keep an eye on the medium or small angels unless something like a Bellus or a Lamarck's, something that isn't a "with caution" reef-compatible. Of course, YMMV and you could end up with a murderous molly...

My Red Sea Purple Tang has proven to be a survivor going on 12 years now, but is moderately territorial of the entire 300, sparring with the Zoster's Butterfly on a routine basis. The Tomini Tang (about 8 years in the reef now) has been a model citizen, going about it's business not bothering anyone and nobody really paying it any attention.

Overall, I'd say the your list is fine with the exception of the large angel. I simply don't think it will be "comfortable" in a 240, as it will grow to around 12-15 inches itself, and become a bit of a bull in a china shop at that size in a confined space. A collection of Yellow Tangs (around three) is always neat to see, but you might see some aggression between them unless you introduce them all at the same time. A small Flame Angel or even a "medium" angel (future draft choice to be named later) would be neat, but keep an eye out for coral - and fish - nipping later on. The larger versions will eat clams, sponges, anemones, zoas, palys, etc, while the smaller angels may only "annoy" them. The Kole is a good bristletooth tang choice.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray:cool:

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more tangs! I currently have 14 tangs in a 7x3 tank and 30
Something fish total..
Just qt and add them in correct aggression order or all at once.
Easily do 5/7 imo

btw I had 21 tangs before this .. years ago a pair of clowns gave my tank velvet and I lost over 40
Fish.. I’m talking full size achilies, and all the other tangs, wrasses and so on.. hope I can get it like that again

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got enough volume to add all kinds of tangs.
Did you consider nano or salfin tang? I think they will look more beautiful swimming end to end.

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you can get a good source of yellow belly regal angelfish, you can add it first and make sure it stages its spot and feed well before adding any more tangs or angels. I really like regal angelfish although I was told they can be extremely shy and difficult to keep if you add them later to the tank.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 240 abd that number of Tangs would be okay, if you got Nori available for them. The only issue I would be concerned with is I would add them as Juveniles all at once on the Tangs. That Flame Angel is going to be a little bit of a crap shoot on being reef safe if you have corals. Even if you get one thats a bit nippy you should be okay in a tank that size full of SPS as no one coral should get too much attention. Just understand that it could be a problem...and have a plan B in place if needed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back