How many tank mates for a snowflake eel in a 50 gal?

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 50 gal FOWLR tank and was thinking about getting a snowflake eel. I’ve done some research on which fish are compatible but I was wondering if there were any recommendations on what tank mates and how many would be appropriate for that size tank?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on too many variables...type of filtration, frequency of maintenance, size of eel vs fish, etc. Welcome to Reef2Reef :) :) !!

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I currently have a aquamaxx1.5 hob skimmer and fluval c4 hob power filter. Was thinking about getting a maroon clown, fox face, and maybe two dwarf angelfish but wasn’t sure if that may be too crowded.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I currently have a aquamaxx1.5 hob skimmer and fluval c4 hob power filter. Was thinking about getting a maroon clown, fox face, and maybe two dwarf angelfish but wasn’t sure if that may be too crowded.
At max I would do either a pair of maroons or a dwarf angel and maybe a few damsels if you're really set on having many fish. Maroons and dwarf angels can be super territorial, especially in a tank that size.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I wouldn’t put a snowflake in that size tank - they get a lot bigger than you’d think. They may be lazy, but imagine a 2+ foot fish in a tank that offers 3-4 feet maximum.
It would be better to get other eel like fish like a Midas blenny (and would make tankmates a lot easier).
Definitely only one angel for a 50 - they don’t like each other. Foxface gets too big and active.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan to add at least another hob filter for this tank, eels need lots of food, which means more mess. Prepare to change those filters at least once a week as well or they will start producing excess nitrates and also clog. foxface is too large for that tank, and you should only do 1 dwarf. I really think a 75-90 is better for 2 dwarfs.

OP
OP
K

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the input! I will definitely look into other options like blennys.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back