How many times have you been "in" and then "out" of the hobby?

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in, and out, of the hobby 3 or 4 different times now. Every time I "get out" people laugh and say "You'll be back". So far they've been right.

I really need to stop going to Reef forums before I get the itch again.

Since I began my reefing journey back in 2012 I've had 3 or 4 different setups/builds. One time I "left" because I lost my job (company sold and everyone let go) and it was the responsible thing to do. The other times I just lost interest after the initial build/setup... once things got to the "it all works and is stable" stage it becomes boring to me.

My wife says I should help other people setup tanks so I can enjoy that part, and it won't cost me any money. *grin*

How many times have you been in and out of the hobby? What keeps it interesting for you and makes you keep going?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have been in and out six or seven times since the late 1970s. I get in get involved and love it then a major move happens and I sell everything. Once I sell it all I vow I'm done only to start buying equipment again and I'm back in. This last time I stayed out for 14 years but made the mistake of "checking out" and LFS I used to frequent when we were down the street at another store. I was measuring suitable tank spots that afternoon and had a tank ordered within a week.

I think that my interest goes back to when I was very young. My father used to take me to the Cleveland Aquarium quite often as the director was one of his friends. As I grew up I would ride my bike and later drive my car the 13 miles to the aquarium every few weeks.

What keeps it interesting is the husbandry of the tank inhabitants, the beauty of the reef, the science involved and the challenges.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never left, but sometimes my tank was more of a FOWLR. I lost my whole tank to a heat wave in 2002, just after a new build/move, the previous tank was doing extremely well for the initial 2 years. I moved again in 2005 and upgraded to a 65 gallon, but got busy and didn't do the best maintenance at the time, it became a FOWLR. Current reef was set up in 2010, 25 gallon, broke the tank soon after. Rebuilt it with a 29 gallon. I tried a saltwater paludarium attached to the reef with mangroves, etc. Life got busy again, lost a bunch of my LPS, softies didn't care. I got back on the forums and started tweeking the system again, new sump, chaeto fuge, got rid of the paludarium, added more lighting options.

I'm at the point of wanting most surfaces covered and not all with mushrooms :p . I've been adding encrusting LPS in spots to see what works and corralling certain invasives so they don't overtake.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This last time I stayed out for 14 years but made the mistake of "checking out" and LFS I used to frequent when we were down the street at another store. I was measuring suitable tank spots that afternoon and had a tank ordered within a week.

I made (and continue to make) the mistake of coming here and going to Boston Reefer's. Last time around I happened to see an awesome deal on a 125G SCA setup (less than 5 months old). By the end of the day I was arranging a U-Haul truck and getting a buddy to help me pick it up.

What keeps it interesting is the husbandry of the tank inhabitants, the beauty of the reef, the science involved and the challenges.

As I mention, I like the initial build. Teaching my two kids was also a big motivator, but they are older now and not as interested anymore.

I've never left, but sometimes my tank was more of a FOWLR.

If (when?) I ever get back in I'll have to consider doing something different. Maybe instead of a reef I could try some aggressive/different fish and see how that goes. Variety is the spice of life, right?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If (when?) I ever get back in I'll have to consider doing something different. Maybe instead of a reef I could try some aggressive/different fish and see how that goes. Variety is the spice of life, right?
One of my favorite tanks was also my first SW tank. A 40 breeder running as a FaIwCS (Fish and Inverts with Coral Skeletons) that housed a few tube worms a few Green Chromis, a Yellow Tang and a Niger Trigger using an undergravel filter, a HOB filter and a couple of T12s. I think FOWLRs don't get enough recognition. They can be very rewarding and much easier to maintain well.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 1 or more fish tanks since 1984. I have never been out except I came very close because of health things but my son gave me a stern talking to and kicked me in the rear.
The one day when for a short while I didn't have a tank with water in it since 1984.
3-29-2018
This tank belonged to my son Grant and was stored in our garage. My 30gallon had failed and I was going to quit.
He was supposed to help me tear it down. He helped me do a transfer to his tank instead.
IMG_0273%5B1%5D-M.jpg

I joined here 4-11-2018.

I guess I just needed a push start to get going again. It happens.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in the hobby around 2000 while still in High School. I stayed with it until my kids were born in 2008. Trying to maintain 2 tanks, working two jobs, and raising newborn twins quickly became too much. I considered quitting the whole parenting thing but as I was leaving I realized I couldn't take the tanks with me, so I gave up on the tanks. I had no intention of ever having a tank again.
Then about 3 years ago my wife mentioned getting another tank and I unenthusiastically agreed. Now I'm completely invested into the hobby and couldn't imagine quitting, my wife has said she greatly regrets suggesting we get another tank, because it's apparently "all I care about".

If not obvious that part about abandoning my newborn children was a joke.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out: After my divorce

Trying to get back in: Since shortly after my divorce

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had a tank since I was 5(1980). Not always salt, but always a fish tank of some sort. Was even a long time it was only a betta bowl!

Got out completely 1989 when the power went out for 6 days, and I lost everything. Stayed out for a long time. Started going to N. Carolina for vacation(1998) and visiting the aquarium there. That's all it took to get me back in.

The love of watching the fish, crazy coral corals, and the science behind it all keeps me interested.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple times, the longest period was for 2 years. The other time was for around a year. I’ve gone without tanks a couple times when I’ve moved to a new city/country, but have generally always started up a tank pretty quickly, so I don’t really consider that ‘being out of the hobby’.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once, only because I moved out of my parents house and into an apartment. After a year or so I got a FW tank. Didn't love FW, so I set up a nano tank (5 gals). Then shortly after that I moved into a condo where I upgraded to a Biocube, followed by a 75g tank.

I thought recently about getting out again, but I am sure I'd regret it

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some sort of fish tank since probably mid 70's and started in salt early to mid 80's. (dating myself lol) I've had to get out multiple times for multiple reasons (children, moving, divorce, etc) but always found a way to get & set up another tank. If you love it you'll find a way. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back