How many wrasse possible in a 50 gallon

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many wrasses are possible in a 50 gallon cube?
The wrasses I’m looking at:
Naokoe wrasse
Social fairy wrasse
Lubbock wrasse
African exquisite wrasse
Carpenter wrasse
Lined flasher
Yellow coris
Irdris wrasse
Earmuff wrasse
Possum wrasse
Leopard wrasse

Which ones can go in a 50 gallon cube and how many in the tank

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think:

1. No, they’re some of the more aggressive fairy wrasses and can get to 4”, I think, maybe more. Beautiful fish though and my LFS likes getting them in.

2. Not sure about this one.

3. Yes, these max out at 3” and are peaceful.

4. Not sure.

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

7. I would not put one in less than a standard 55 as they get larger.

8. Same as Yellow Coris.

9. They’re a bigger Halichores, website’s say 9-10” though not sure how much to expect for the average specimen. Still from the looks of it, I’d have at least a 100+ gallon tank.

10. Yes.

11. Perhaps not, they’re more like the Halichoeres in terms of size and space requirements. The smallest species get to 4”, I think, but just doesn’t feel right having them in a 50 cube.

I think 1 Lubbock’s or another 3” fairy wrasse, a smaller Flasher and a Possum would do well in a 50 cube.

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think:

1. No, they’re some of the more aggressive fairy wrasses and can get to 4”, I think, maybe more. Beautiful fish though and my LFS likes getting them in.

2. Not sure about this one.

3. Yes, these max out at 3” and are peaceful.

4. Not sure.

5. Yes.

6. Yes.

7. I would not put one in less than a standard 55 as they get larger.

8. Same as Yellow Coris.

9. They’re a bigger Halichores, website’s say 9-10” though not sure how much to expect for the average specimen. Still from the looks of it, I’d have at least a 100+ gallon tank.

10. Yes.

11. Perhaps not, they’re more like the Halichoeres in terms of size and space requirements. The smallest species get to 4”, I think, but just doesn’t feel right having them in a 50 cube.

I think 1 Lubbock’s or another 3” fairy wrasse, a smaller Flasher and a Possum would do well in a 50 cube.
Thank you so much!!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no to earmuff. I bought a itty bitty one and it is growing very fast. They get very large.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50 gal CUBE tank is too small for these wrasse other than the smallest of the wrasse. When they display, Fairy and Flasher wrasse swim very fast.
maybe a Possum wrasse.
The smallest of the Leopard wrasse, the Black Leopard, may be OK.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Liveaquaria, they say 90 gal for the Black Leopard.
IMHO, none of wrasses, except wettmorellas, should go into 50 gal cube, they are too lively fish for such small space.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, none of wrasses, except wettmorellas, should go into 50 gal cube, they are too lively fish for such small space.
I think that is an error that keep on getting parroted. I am not sure who originated this error. IME with harrem of Leopards, Black Leopards are small, much smaller than Meleagris Leopard. My terminal male Black Leopard is only about 3 inches or so while my Meleagris Leopard is at 5 inches. Activity and swim wise, Leopard are more of a weaving in and out type of swimmer, rather than fast linear swimmer like Fairy and Flasher wrasse. My harem (3) of Black Leopards did great in a 45 gal breeder. 50 gal cube is a little smaller, but should do fine for a single Black Leopard. I hav e a thread on my Black Leopard somewhere. However, they are not easy to get establish and do well in our tank.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it is good to learn! I have a 100 gal aquarium, perhaps I will also try Black Leopards, they are truly impressive.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Leopard Female
BlackLeopardWrasse2019052601.jpg

Male Normal color
BlackLeopardWrasse2020051601.jpg

Male Nuptial color
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070909Male.jpg

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50 gal CUBE tank is too small for these wrasse other than the smallest of the wrasse. When they display, Fairy and Flasher wrasse swim very fast.
maybe a Possum wrasse.
The smallest of the Leopard wrasse, the Black Leopard, may be OK.
I’ve flashers are quite small fishes, about two inches, yes they are active fishes
I’ve always been told that flashers can go in a 20g cube. There are many other small wrasses that can go in a 50 gallon cube. I did abit of research and decided that a leopard would take up too much time for me
Possum wrasses are quite small. When I think of wrasses I usually think of something that creates activity in the tank

I don’t know the dimensions yet. I’m still discussing this with my family and the shop

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve flashers are quite small fishes, about two inches, yes they are active fishes
I’ve always been told that flashers can go in a 20g cube. There are many other small wrasses that can go in a 50 gallon cube. I did abit of research and decided that a leopard would take up too much time for me

Possum wrasses are quite small. When I think of wrasses I usually think of something that creates activity in the tank

I don’t know the dimensions yet. I’m still discussing this with my family and the shop
I keep all the fish you listed other than the Earmuff Wrasse. Flashers should never be keep in a 20 gal tank other than short term hospital or QT tank. They are very active, and when they display (flashes), they really swim fast in straight line or very wide arches. They can really run into wall and break their spines.
60 gal cube is a 24"x24"x24". Rather than a cube, I would get a 65 gal or 75 gal standard size. If you have 3 feet in linear lenght, you can keep some small Flasher and Fairy wrasse.

OP
OP
L

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all the fish you listed other than the Earmuff Wrasse. Flashers should never be keep in a 20 gal tank other than short term hospital or QT tank. They are very active, and when they display (flashes), they really swim fast in straight line or very wide arches. They can really run into wall and break their spines.
60 gal cube is a 24"x24"x24". Rather than a cube, I would get a 65 gal or 75 gal standard size. If you have 3 feet in linear lenght, you can keep some small Flasher and Fairy wrasse.
Okie!

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the mccoskers in a 3ft long tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is an error that keep on getting parroted. I am not sure who originated this error. IME with harrem of Leopards, Black Leopards are small, much smaller than Meleagris Leopard. My terminal male Black Leopard is only about 3 inches or so while my Meleagris Leopard is at 5 inches. Activity and swim wise, Leopard are more of a weaving in and out type of swimmer, rather than fast linear swimmer like Fairy and Flasher wrasse. My harem (3) of Black Leopards did great in a 45 gal breeder. 50 gal cube is a little smaller, but should do fine for a single Black Leopard. I hav e a thread on my Black Leopard somewhere. However, they are not easy to get establish and do well in our tank.

My terminal male is big. Maybe 4.5-5. My husband asked why I had a barracuda in my tank . ;Woot The LFS also had a large female.

So not sure what to think about them being smaller. Maybe they don’t grow fast in captivity.

Last edited:

salmonte2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many wrasses are possible in a 50 gallon cube?
The wrasses I’m looking at:
Naokoe wrasse
Social fairy wrasse
Lubbock wrasse
African exquisite wrasse
Carpenter wrasse
Lined flasher
Yellow coris
Irdris wrasse
Earmuff wrasse
Possum wrasse
Leopard wrasse

Which ones can go in a 50 gallon cube and how many in the tank
The Lubbock will chase the naokoe wrasse

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back