How monogamous are Banggai cardinals?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I got a pair of banggai cardinals. Long story short, they bred, now and then 1 fry survived and I ended up with a shoal of 11 adults. They have been at peace since September 2020.

The male got a batch of eggs a couple of weeks ago and yesterday the female kicked him out of her territory and he is hiding behind a gyre pump at the top of the tank. He is still holding.

When he gets scared by something, he joins the shoal for a while but he soon returns to hide near the pump.

I also noticed that the female began courting a new male.

It's normally impossible to net any of them, but I may have a chance because he's near the surface. I thought about moving him to the refugium and let him finish the incubation there.

But I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do.

If I remove him, I fear he won't be able to return to the tank without lots of fighting.

Maybe she will take him back after he releases the fry in a week or too?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s up to me individual fish but sounds like she found interest in a different male (sounds like my ex) and may accept him at a later time
With the male carrying eggs- I would not remove it ,
A fish trap may or may not work to capture her

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!

I also thought about the possibility of terminating his pregnancy but maybe it's better to let things stay as they are.

I always knew that a shoal of Banggais was an unstable situation, but this was very unexpected.

In a way it makes sense. They are maturing and it's natural that when she noticed that a young male was looking fitter than her old partner, she got ideas. The original couple should be around 5 years old.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, things are a bit calmer now.

Soon after my last post I managed to net the older male because he was hiding behind a pump and he immediately released the fry. I put them in the refugium, but unfortunately I wasn't ready to raise them.

A few days later the female got the new male pregnant and she moved into his territory.

In the meantime, the older male recovered from the pregnancy and she is now spending time with both males in their territories.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back