How much alkalinity in all for reef vs soda ash

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to price out a three part balling vs all for reef dosing solution. How would o calculate how much alkalinity is added to a certain volume tank in soda ash vs all for reef? Can’t figure where to get this info

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure there is going to be an answer as AFR works a bit different than 2 part. It is not really directed as to get from a to b you use x amount.

What size aquarium are you doing? I use 2 part on my larger aquarium and the all for reef on my smaller aquariums. Ensure when you are price comparing you add TM part k and part A as these are in all for reef but need to add to 2 part. Also 2 part is 3 dosing pumps afr is 1.

I really love the adjustability of the 2 part, and the simplicity of AFR. However using 2 part first AFR drove me a bit crazy as it was start with x amount and see what happens and not measure and set.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This might be helpful for the afr cost

OP
OP
B

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s straightforward enough to add all the costs of the trace elements and all the rest for a given quantity of alk knotty add (assuming an equal dose of calcium, which isn’t exactly true but close enough).

But how much dkh will a 7lb bag of bulk reef supply soda ash add to a 200g tank?

how much dkh will 1 liter of afr add to a 200g tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s straightforward enough to add all the costs of the trace elements and all the rest for a given quantity of alk knotty add (assuming an equal dose of calcium, which isn’t exactly true but close enough).

But how much dkh will a 7lb bag of bulk reef supply soda ash add to a 200g tank?

how much dkh will 1 liter of afr add to a 200g tank?

The calculator above can do the sodium carbonate (soda ash) part of that calculation.

I can calculate the value for calcium formate and that’s a rough estimate, but not perfect because of the weight if other elements in it. It overestimates the potency.

On a pure weight basis, sodium carbonate is 1.2 times as potent as calcium formate in terms of alk added.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back