How much Ammonia should I dose?

gavinc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a cycle on my 40 gallon tank today with turbostart 900 and I was wondering how many tablespoons or teaspoons i of ammonia powder I should put in. Thanks in advance

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put in about ten drops and a pinch of ground up fish food, ground well, wait five days you're cycled. no testing required.

not a wild guess: the testing from Dr Reef's bottle bac thread shows it occurring in 24 hours on average for that brand, five days is 5x wait. that brand is used in successful fish in cycles that wait zero days to begin with fish, and they're not burned we have them tracked on seneye cycles.

the number one thing you don't do is cause 2ppm in the water, like all peers recommend, its not required and the fish food boost is far better matched to the type of bacteria in the bottle anyway. you specifically do not need a rise and fall in ammonia to make the cycle occur, when you dump the bottle in the water it occurs. I'm not factoring the risk of dead bottle of Dr Fritz due to not ever seeing one example in about one thousand logged online cycles we followed up on.

you dont have to repeat the dose either, once and a week or so wait is a certain done cycle for whatever rocks and sand sat stewing in that mix for the week wait.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just saw its powder, we're allowed to approximate easily. tip of a teaspoon is plenty combined with the food kick. just a little is used. not much

if we dont overdo it, you wont need the big water change before starting. when you read about people doing a huge water change before beginning that's to ensure their massive unneeded 2 ppm dose was cleared in time. just a tiny pinch worth of ammonia is fine for the wait.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back