How much attention do you pay to the expiration date on dry foods?

Do you use dried fish foods past their expiration date?

• Yes - I don't pay much attention to the expiration date

Votes: 276 55.1%
  • No - If it's expired, I toss it

Votes: 97 19.4%
  • Unsure - I didn't know dry food had an expiration date

Votes: 100 20.0%
  • Other - discuss in thread

Votes: 28 5.6%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you use dry coral or fish food that has expired? How far past the date would you use it? What is the danger of using old food? #askingforafriend :rolleyes:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Would you use dry coral or fish food that has expired? How far past the date would you use it? What is the danger of using old food? #askingforafriend :rolleyes:
My sustainably aquatic pellets are almost a year over expiration, and I still use them. But now that I think about it, i don't pay much attention to the expiration date on dry foods. Good topic, would like to know if they actually do go bad, or if its possible they could cause some harm.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My sustainably aquatic pellets are almost a year over expiration, and I still use them. But now that I think about it, i don't pay much attention to the expiration date on dry foods. Good topic, would like to know if they actually do go bad, or if its possible they could cause some harm.
That's basically my question. I'm wondering if there's anything to it, or is that just basically a "sell by" date. I know that with at least on some dry goods, the expiration date really isn't a "danger" issue.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m EXTREMELY anti expired products... I had a bad experience with old milk and expired yogurt once ;Vomit Never again! My wife laughs at me when we go to a friends house for dinner and I’m checking dates. I’m also sort of picky about condiments left out on restaurant tables.

Yet when needed, I can survive on old MREs in the field ;Yuck

Not sure where I was going with all of that, but I probably wouldn’t feed them expired food :rolleyes:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With dry food i only get worried if moisture enters the container. I try to keep them sealed in an area they wont get wet. I try to keep most foods in a fridge inside a ziplock bag if its a large amount to extend the moisture lock out. I use an older fridge which has almost no humidity when maintained. Food for my fish and geckos is kept in here.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a date freak... anything, and I mean ANYTHING over the date goes in the trash. For me, it depends on the contents of the food. I have eaten year old miracle whip and had no repercussions from it.

Dry foods for human consumption would be ingredients and if it was allowed any moisture.

Fish food I guess would be same deal but I bet if it was not good, they wouldn't eat it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With dry foods sometimes it goes stale before it expires and we buy new anyway. We don't eat expired products why should our pets.
How do you know when dry fish food has gone stale? I can understand your logic on not feeding what you wouldn't eat, but 1) I'm personally ok with consuming dry goods if they're past expiration date and I can tell they've not gone bad and 2) if it's just a taste/QC issue, I doubt my corals would care much. :D

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NLS pellets that are three or four years old and I still use them. I think as long as they remain dry and don't get exposed to prolonged humidity, they shouldn't spoil. Expiration dates on frozen food are a different story.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have NLS pellets that are three or four years old and I still use them. I think as long as they remain dry and don't get exposed to prolonged humidity, they shouldn't spoil. Expiration dates on frozen food are a different story.
Most def on the frozen food. I don't use it past the expiration (ok... maybe I'd use it for another couple of days if needed), but I've honestly never had frozen that outlasted the expiration. Dry foods just tend to last me a lot longer.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my used tank and items I found Nori and flake food that was four years past expired (2014) To say the least I threw it away.

For human consumption, items that have juice or liquid in them and dairy items get throwed out on the expiration date.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when dry fish food has gone stale? I can understand your logic on not feeding what you wouldn't eat, but 1) I'm personally ok with consuming dry goods if they're past expiration date and I can tell they've not gone bad and 2) if it's just a taste/QC issue, I doubt my corals would care much. :D
We can tell when they go stale when the smell isn't as strong and we also judge on how long we've had it. I read somewhere too that after 6 months dry fish foods can start losing their nutritional value. I am very picky when it comes to outdated products. I check everything.

Dawgvet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expiration dates don’t mean the food has gone bad. That is just the date that, up to that time, the manufacturer guarantees the highest quality of their product. I don’t think the issue is that it’s going to harm the fish as much as what you are feeding is not at the peak of quality.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it doesn't wink ay me when I open the container or knock me flat on my rear end when I do the sniff test, my gut can handle it. I'm so not a date freak.

Frozen I would toss out of date or freezer burnt real bad, dry is good until it's gone or gets wet. At which point I'd I'd toss it then and there. I use dry foods that have resealable containers, so it keeps them fresh.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are pigs, my dry food never makes it close enough to the expiry date to worry about it:p I'd probably still use it for a few weeks after expiring though if it ever did.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't. I freeze unopened bottle of dry food and refrigerate open ones for freshness

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed dried food always frozen. But if its past the expiration date I toss it. Why risk it right :)

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I check dates when buying food products for my fish but don't check the dates once using them so I'd probably never notice once the expiration date had past. However, if I did notice it was expired it would worry me until I had replaced it. ;Cyclops

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back