How much auto water change is TOO much?

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends:)

We just got our auto water change all hooked up and have it set up to change 5 gallons per day on a 110 gallon tank. I was hoping to do more because our nitrates have been high but he thinks this is more than enough. What do you have for a daily water change amount, especially when you'd like to bring nitrates down?

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size is the tank? A 5 gallon water change on a 10g nano will have different results than on a 300 gallon tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that 1 to 2 gallons in the long run would be an appropriate amount, but 5 gallons in the short run doesn't seem unreasonable. Depending on what you have in the system and how sensitive it is, you may also want to add a weekly manual water change that is larger until you get back on track. Good luck!

OP
OP
MaxtheCat

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that 1 to 2 gallons in the long run would be an appropriate amount, but 5 gallons in the short run doesn't seem unreasonable. Depending on what you have in the system and how sensitive it is, you may also want to add a weekly manual water change that is larger until you get back on track. Good luck!
Thank you! I think we were hoping to do automatic water changes as often as possible throughout the day so that we don't mess parameters up too much with doing manual changes. There is always such a swing with temp when we do larger manual ones!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is a good plan. Not sure if you are familiar with the @ReefNewsNetwork podcast (definitely worth listening too!) - one of the hosts has an AWC system set up on his large tank and has talked about it in recent episodes.

**Maybe @JerSaint can remember which episode.

OP
OP
MaxtheCat

MaxtheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good plan. Not sure if you are familiar with the @ReefNewsNetwork podcast (definitely worth listening too!) - one of the hosts has an AWC system set up on his large tank and has talked about it in recent episodes.

**Maybe @JerSaint can remember which episode.
No, never heard of it but I will look for it right now! Can I ask what AWC means without being laughed at? Ha ha ha! Algae with coral??

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, never heard of it but I will look for it right now! Can I ask what AWC means without being laughed at? Ha ha ha! Algae with coral??

No worries and no laughing! AWC = auto water change

For your reading pleasure :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back