How much bubbling is too much?

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, I just got my first skimmer. its a reef octopus Classic 90 HOB, and I set it up per an online guide and have it wide open right now for acclimatization (actually not looking to particularly collect anything, its a pH control measure for now, since my other parameters are pretty solid.) I bought the skimmer second hand and it did not come with a sponge, I simply cut a sponge to fit and placed it on the skimmer outflow, but I am noticing I am getting a small amount of very small bubbles out in the tank. I've read about microbubbles being dangerous to the fish, but how much is too much? and how small is too small? are there any skimmer settings that need to be changed, or is there a better way to combat these bubbles? any help with this whole process would be greatly appreciated

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As all amount should not be an issue. They may go away as the skimmer builds a coating on its surfaces. Reducing the flow into the skimmer should help as well.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new classic 90 HOB and I have the factory sponges, it produces a crap load of micro bubbles. This is after more than a week of using it, the valve is wide open. The collection cup overflows out the breather holes in the lid even with the drain hose on the collect cup. This is the longest break in skimmer I've ever had. I have to turn it off when I'm not home which doesn't help with the break in. I tried clamping the air inlet hose to give it less air and it puts even more microbubbles in the tank. I guess my point is your not alone.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new classic 90 HOB and I have the factory sponges, it produces a crap load of micro bubbles. This is after more than a week of using it, the valve is wide open. The collection cup overflows out the breather holes in the lid even with the drain hose on the collect cup. This is the longest break in skimmer I've ever had. I have to turn it off when I'm not home which doesn't help with the break in. I tried clamping the air inlet hose to give it less air and it puts even more microbubbles in the tank. I guess my point is your not alone.
oh wow, thats not good. mine is not overflowing and the amount of bubbles its putting in the tank is minimal, so I guess maybe I got lucky? XD

Back