How much CheatoGro are you using?

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up to three times of the recommended daily dose pluse the daily recommended dose of iodine, manganese and zinc from Triton icp tests. Macros are looking ok but I think they need something more. Should I keep increasing CheatoGro till I'm happy with the color of the macros?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chaeto and Refugium algae grows like a weed and don’t do anything to help it at all :)
I really don't need the macros for nutrient control I think they just look really cool and fertilizer is needed in my tank. I just don't know if more CheatoGro is needed or maybe just iron?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3ml/day and had a dramatic difference in my macros but I don't think you're going to find a specific answer aside from testing once change at a time and looking at your macros, such as increasing iron but keeping all else the same for a week or so, to see if there's any improvement.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm up to three times of the recommended daily dose pluse the daily recommended dose of iodine, manganese and zinc from Triton icp tests. Macros are looking ok but I think they need something more. Should I keep increasing CheatoGro till I'm happy with the color of the macros?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Have you considered getting an ICP test by Triton done? It would really help to tell you if you are over or under dosing

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes two tests now and both came back about the same even with making the recommended correction doses and keeping up with daily dose of zinc, iodine and manganese. Plus the recommended starting dose of CheatoGro.
IMG_0644.PNG
IMG_0645.PNG
IMG_0646.PNG
IMG_0647.PNG

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I'm not looking for faster growth just a deep green color

Deeper green tends to be a function of chlorophyll (which is heavily dependent upon nitrogen or nitrates). You may also try a stronger light.

I have to run, but Ill comment on the ICP tests in the next couple of days.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deeper green tends to be a function of chlorophyll (which is heavily dependent upon nitrogen or nitrates). You may also try a stronger light.

I have to run, but Ill comment on the ICP tests in the next couple of days.
Since that test I've added poly filter and done two 20 gallon WC trying to remove the copper. I have a low demand for alkalinity so the magnesium was my fault or tester problem. I was shooting for 1440. I'm using aquaforest 123 30ml daily. The light is a brand new recurve LED running on preset #1.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Mg gets high enough it call kill snails. I am currently facing this issue. Triton test last said 1480ppm Mg and I can't keep astreas, turbos, limpets, some ceriths, or chestnuts. Not sure if you have snails, but something to consider.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Mg gets high enough it call kill snails. I am currently facing this issue. Triton test last said 1480ppm Mg and I can't keep astreas, turbos, limpets, some ceriths, or chestnuts. Not sure if you have snails, but something to consider.
I have lots of snails and no empty shells. I did do a few WC I'm sure the mag is lower now

Back