How much danger do eels anglers and lionfish pose to eachother?

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g with a mud moray and a snowflake eel and a breeding group of guppies along with red claw and fiddler crabs.

The fish and crabs were added to give a bit of a food chain to the tank.

I would like to add a smaller species of lion fish and some type of angler.

I would like to know the angler that people would consider the easiest(ik theyre somewhat hard to keep) and whether these fish pose any threat to eachother.

Ive read people keep these together but i come from the cichlid world where every fish gets its own species tank. This makes it hard for me to imagine this stocking not being a disaster waiting to happen.

Since my eels are around 12" couldnt an angler of just about any size latch onto its head?

Would a lionfish whipe a 75 of guppies quickly? Ive had success keeping freshwater piscavores with breeding groups of guppies like pike cichlids which are extremely quick and skilled hunters however they seem to let the guppies repopulate and only occasionally eats them.

I would also like some tips on longevity of eels, anglers and lions. I did a decent amount of research on each of these and got pretty mixed answers.

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also understand filtration is a problem of its own i have a large amount of macro in the tank. As well as 3 powerheads and 2 airpumps.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Smaller lion and snowflake eel should be fine. I've cared for a snowflake eel and a volitan, and also a snowflake and a fuzzy. I don't know much about anglers, and know even less about the mud moray you mentioned.

Would a lionfish whipe a 75 of guppies quickly?
Any small fish in the water column will get quickly picked off. If you have enough macro algae to hide, maybe that would work? You might set up a 10 gallon tank for guppies to use as feeders.

@lion king should have an opinion for you.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
send a pic of the tank, you could keep a dwarf lion if it was very well fed, the guppies might live. the guppies might die tho , so you might want to get some mollies too to add more productivity to your feeders.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo that's too much, and too complicated for a 75g. I'm not sure if I understand your filtration completely. It's sounds like you would need to provide additional real estate for biological filtration and an oversized skimmer.

While those eels can live with lions, sizing of the lion would have to be precise, and a 75g would be ok for a dwarf or medium bodied lion, but not a volitan. The lion and the angler would decimate your guppies, as well as they would require live feedings

An angler will eat anything up to their own size and live food is a must. With the best care, right now, the best xan get about 5 years out of them. The smaller lions for long term success would need the inclusion of live foods, and the best can get from 7 to just over 10 years. If you care the eels properly and give them proper food, tge snowflake can live 15 years, I'm not familiar with the other.

Click my name and "find all threads", to find info on the care of lions, anglers, and eels.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lion can est an angler, an angler can eat a lion, and even those those are pebbletooth eels, they can eat sedentary fish like anglers and lions. Even with all of my experience, I would not do it.

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lion can est an angler, an angler can eat a lion, and even those those are pebbletooth eels, they can eat sedentary fish like anglers and lions. Even with all of my experience, I would not do
Makes sense. If i removed the angler or lion from the scenario would you consider doing it yourself?

The eels have so far left all my crabs alone even though they dwell in the same cave.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 small to medium triggers(clown, pair of blue throats, niger) , 2 groupers, 3 lions (fu man chu, a dwarf, and a radiatta ) and 3 decent sized zebra morays all in a 300 everyone gets along just fine.
the clown trigger and the panther grouper both entertain/agression on each other , and the rest of the fish just ignore the clown trigger once they realize he doensnt bite them.. i feed the tank at least 2 times a day .
And its just a grow out tank for my lagoon, as the groupers and clown trigger both will be too big for the tank they are in (i know this).

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 small to medium triggers(clown, pair of blue throats, niger) , 2 groupers, 3 lions (fu man chu, a dwarf, and a radiatta ) and 3 decent sized zebra morays all in a 300 everyone gets along just fine.
the clown trigger and the panther grouper both entertain/agression on each other , and the rest of the fish just ignore the clown trigger once they realize he doensnt bite them.. i feed the tank at least 2 times a day .
And its just a grow out tank for my lagoon, as the groupers and clown trigger both will be too big for the tank they are in (i know this).

300g vs 75g, and how long have the lions been in the tank, those lions usually don't live long in that setup. Lions should only be fed 2 or 3 times a week, and those species usually don't survive long without live food. Are you target feeding the lions or relying on them to catch their food on their on, if so, they are slowly starving to death, which is very common in this type of set up.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. If i removed the angler or lion from the scenario would you consider doing it yourself?

The eels have so far left all my crabs alone even though they dwell in the same cave.
To me, the spotfin lion and the snowflake will be fine in a 75. That lion gets bigger than a fuzzy or zebra, but not like a volleyball like Russel or Volitan. I honestly have never seen the other eel in person. And I'm not an angler guy, but that seems like it needs a specific tank.

I would do the lion and eel, then pick my favorite dwarf angel or Ctenochaetus tang and call that good.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the spotfin lion and the snowflake will be fine in a 75. That lion gets bigger than a fuzzy or zebra, but not like a volleyball like Russel or Volitan. I honestly have never seen the other eel in person. And I'm not an angler guy, but that seems like it needs a specific tank.

I would do the lion and eel, then pick my favorite dwarf angel or Ctenochaetus tang and call that good.

Actually among the males, their sizes aren't that different, females can be a bit smaller. The antennatta's wingspan is as wide as he is long, which gets to around 7". My male fuzzies get to a stocky 6'5". Anglers will always do best in a species tank, getting them food in a larger community tank becomes very difficult. You will not have long term success with an angler, and IMO, an antennata on a dead only diet. Feeding live in a community tank becomes very complicated, I see very few succeed long term, and a year is not long term; with dwarf and medium bodied lions in a community tank. Their dietary needs are rarely met with a dead diet, along with high thiaminese in most dead foods being fed.

OP
OP
B

BobShizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on buying mollys/platys at petco and tong feeding them while alive to the lion.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

An antennata in a 75g with those 2 eels would work, as long as the initially sizing is right. Even then those eels likely wouldn't bother. Anglers are challenging on their own, trying them in a community tank, literally, never works.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Toadfish" is kind of a catch-all term like "bass." So it probably depends on what species you're talking about. Although maybe they're all too big. I do think, besides the puffers they call toadfish, they're all fish eaters.

One came in from a wholesaler to a LFS I worked at in college, and it was labeled as a dusky jawfish. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it wasn't a jawfish. Owner insisted that it go to a service account. What do you know? Fish started disappearing, including a pretty big (half black? I think) dwarf angel.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back