How much did it cost for movers to move your tank?

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 gallon tank I’m trying to move from my garage to my basement. I tired to get 3 people to move it but couldn’t. I’ve been trying for the last few weeks to find people but no one can seem to help. My last option is to pay movers to do it for me. With that being said how much does it normally cost? For those that did the same as what I’m going to do how much? Wanna figure prices so I don’t get ripped off. I’m younger so seems for these companies to take advantage of me easier because of It.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like these - Qadira Premium Quality Heavy Duty Aluminum Suction Cup Plate Double Handle Professional Glass Puller/Lifter/Gripper from Amazon

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most moving companies could give you a quote over the phone as long as you are fairly specific... I wouldn't imagine it would be over $60-80... How many turns and corners, how many steps and weight should get you a good ballpark figure. That or craigslist post it.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Custom Aquarium rents them out even if you don't by from them.
I think I read that on their site.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It cost me 300.00 to pay a mover to move my 400 pound Aquarium from my garage to my basement. I bought the suction cups to try and move it my self but after trying to lift it I didn't feel comfortable doing it.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$300 for a 220 to be moved from one house to another that was about 20 miles away. Most moving companies will have a minimum charge, this particular one was around $250 so if I'd had it moved inside the same house it would have been $250.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs does installs and said they could move mine into my basement, place it on the stand, level it and hook up plumbing for $300. He also said they were insured and what not in case something goes wrong and there is damage to tank or home during the move only. That said, me and a buddy moved it into the basement ourselves for free99 and I will use that money on a gyre. My tank was 255lbs though. A Red Sea Reefer xl 525. Yours is much larger. Not sure I'd have the gumption to try that one myself.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seeing the size because it's what I moved downstairs through bilco basement doors and stirs myself ( I do not advise), I'd say a mover be 200-300 depending on number of people they send. I towed mine with my tractor on 3/4 or 1 inch plywood got it over the lip of my basement stairs where I had more plywood and pulled it down and slowed it with my weight (250) Pushed me fast and I almost smashed it.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had multiple quotes for right at $300 to move it from the back warehouse of our office to the final location (about 100’ away, no steps).

And like @i_am_mclovin said, they had a minimum charge for 3 guys to even show up and a minimum chargeable time (30 min, I think).

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seeing the size because it's what I moved downstairs through bilco basement doors and stirs myself ( I do not advise), I'd say a mover be 200-300 depending on number of people they send. I towed mine with my tractor on 3/4 or 1 inch plywood got it over the lip of my basement stairs where I had more plywood and pulled it down and slowed it with my weight (250) Pushed me fast and I almost smashed it.

I myself have never attempted to get on America’s Funniest Home Videos

MannoDinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pretty big tank. Most of all it will cost more than regular objects to transport because it is made out of glass, so it is fragile and it needs special attention during transportation. When I moved to my new home, I paid two hundred dollars for transporting a hundred gallons tank. I have closed all the options for transporting it because I wanted it to be safe. I easily found a company and transported it in a day, without a scratch on it. The hardest thing is installing it again, because it is very heavy, even for four men.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly $800 Canadian to move up stairs from the house I bought it from , drive 1 hour and bring it in to my place and set it on the stand .
I believe it was $350 plus $150/ hour

they wouldn’t touch it if it wasn’t clean and empty .
if just emptying it and moving , they wouldn’t touch it

ReefingInTheBuff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a quote of minimum 800 to move reefer 750 to basement from garage!!! Think I will shop around. That seems insane to me. Was a moving company.

Back