How Much do You Feed Your Fish?

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about the proper amount to feed my fish and did some research. It seems about 3% of the fish's weight per day is optimum, going up to 6-7% for juveniles. I wasn't sure if the food should be measured wet or dry, until I had an epiphany and realized it has to be dry to avoid the "turkey soup conundrum*".
I measured the blender mush I made, and it is about 16% food and 84% water, so it takes about 6 grams of mush to feed 1 gram of food.
I measured out the weight based amount on a scale and it is quite a bit more than I was feeding previously, I suspect all my previous fish were underfed.

How much do you feed your fish, and how did you decide on it?

*Turkey soup conundrum: When my wife was growing up her mom traveled for a week, and left a pot of turkey soup for dinner (her dad was NOT a cook). Turkey soup Monday, turkey soup Tuesday, turkey soup Wednesday, turkey soup Thursday. After dinner Thursday, her dad said "there's one ladle of soup left, who wants it?" When no one spoke up, he went over to the sink, started filling the pot and said "Guess we're having turkey soup for dinner tomorrow too!" The moral is if you count the water, any amount of food can weigh as much as you want and you can't get a good measure.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 neon goby 2 clarkii clowns 8 green chromis 1yellow tang 1 fox face 1 flame angle 14 yep. I feed 4 frozen cubes a day all different brine mysis veggie worms couple times aweek I feed 2 pinches dry flake and a pinch of meaty pellets and a pinch of veggie pellets. And I give my tang and fox face fresh seaweed from my algea turf scubber once a week.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a sheet of nori every day or two then daily I feed about 4 cubes of my homemade food plus some live white worms. It’s enough to “chum” the water well.
Even if you know to feed a certain percentage of your fishes weight how do you know your fishes weight, just guess I assume?

Okay now that I’ve answered the question I really only responded to say that your story of the Turkey Soup Conundrum is hilarious.

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns, a lemon drop damsel, a peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, a carpet anemone, and a clean up crew of around 10 snails and 5 hermit crabs!

I feed about a dozen or so pellets every other day (Usually Mon, Wed, Fri). Saturdays I feed my tank mysis and target feed my carpet nem some sort of food whether that is brine, mysis, or thawed shrimp! Hope this helped!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 small fish, a pistol shrimp, a dozen snails, five rock flower anemones, five porcelain crabs, 4 soft corals, and various sideshow inhabitants. I feed 20 - 30 veggie pellets and 1/4 of a Mysis cube per day. It seems like enough...

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a sheet of nori every day or two then daily I feed about 4 cubes of my homemade food plus some live white worms. It’s enough to “chum” the water well.
Even if you know to feed a certain percentage of your fishes weight how do you know your fishes weight, just guess I assume?

Okay now that I’ve answered the question I really only responded to say that your story of the Turkey Soup Conundrum is hilarious.
I try to weigh them in QT when transferring, but I'm always leery of them flopping onto the floor or worse. Failing that, there is a fish weight database here in the treatment section.

I think that story is hilarious too, but my wife calls it "traumatic" :)

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 3 tangs, 5 anthias, 5 bangaii, 4 tilefish, 1 firefish, 2 shrimps and 2 gobies and 1 dang dottyback. I feed about 2-3 cubes of mysis and half sheet or seaweed daily. (Total 19 fish, 2 shrimps and 2 gobies)

How much would you feed?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back