How much does a reef aquarium cost?

BRS

Rickster1334

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Money is not a problem
I’m in the planning stage , 160gallon with sump , all the pumps and power heads etc my budget is 10k on that. Add salt mixing station and quarantine tanks add another 500. Then comes fish, corals , invertebrates cost on those is totally what you want to watch in tank

Maxout

zoa what

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
1) Take out a piece of paper

2) Write the number of most amount of money you'll ever want to spend

3) Now move the decimal point to the right one digit

4) Now you have about what you'll spend in the next 5 years

Trailer Park Boys Cats GIF

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Rmfgator

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, I literally know nothing about reefs in fact I don’t even know why am on this forum? But I do know I have always wanted a beautiful coral reef in my bedroom maybe about 6‘ x 2‘? What does something like that cost around? And do I have to have somebody come maintain it all the time? I really don’t want that but once in a while is OK
just upgraded my tank to a waterbox marine x110 (4x2) I'm close to $5000 with good equipment, not including fish and some equipment from my old tank! who ever said $10k is about right! LOL!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
SET. A . BUDGET !!!
At least I do. here is Mine:

costs.jpg

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Let me put it this way:

Me: Hm, ok, let’s setup a budget saltwater nano tank

Also me: ends up blowing $1.3k in the first few months

—-

Let’s just say... it’s as expensive as you make it!

If you get the best equipment out there (and I’m not talking about super expensive stuff that’s not worth the money, no. I’m talking about quality equipment. Though it may be expensive, it is well worth it in the long run) then it will be expensive.

If you end up getting into coral (like I did, lol), it will be expensive.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, I literally know nothing about reefs in fact I don’t even know why am on this forum? But I do know I have always wanted a beautiful coral reef in my bedroom maybe about 6‘ x 2‘? What does something like that cost around? And do I have to have somebody come maintain it all the time? I really don’t want that but once in a while is OK
I read your q and so not influenced by what others say I'm going to give my opinion as a longtime reefer that's always broke. A reef will cost everything u have n more- if you want it to- its a long term commitment that if you can afford someone to care fore it will become a close friend as he/ she will always b there. I don't really think I've heard of a reefer that's bought their " last" coral. That I believe is a rumor. So n essence you're never done unless you go bigger different or have to take a break for some reason. But you will never find a more rewarding, diversified satisfying lifestyle(hobby) or one w constantly , great people. In simple terms , a small reef starting--- 1500 n then up. Med. --- 5000 then up , large---- omg then up. Really hope you'll join us n happy reefing

LordofCinder

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
every reef tank I've had I've always had I've always said I could have bought a used car with the money. I'm sure that some peeps with larger tanks can probably buy a new car with the money invested into their tanks. Its unbeleivable how much money we invest in glass boxes filled with water

N.Sreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My first 75gal costed me 17000 before I was happy enough with the stocking to slow down on new additions. Then I had a seam break while at work and lost most of that invested money so I'm currently working on a 72 x 19.5 x 24 inches (LxWxH). I'm only 3g in but I currently have a pretty empty tank. Budget friendly Ill likely end up 20000 in by the time I'm happy with this tank.. And then Ill want to upgrade again. Paying for staff to do the maintenance for you would likely add up to quite alot of $$ over time. The money might be better spent on automation if you want to be hands off.

flashsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The start up costs are extremely high IMO. There's always something you need to get. Fish only and it can be reasonable but add corals in the mix that's where the rabbit hole effect comes in. I used to think my whiskey addiction was expensive until I decided to take up reefing again. The thing I think is overlooked is the constant ongoing maintenance and the associated cost. If you're not willing to put in the time you will lose alot of money in livestock. Just look at the forums here and it's pretty easy to see that more often then not when a tank has a meltdown it's usually due to neglect of some kind. Like any hobby though don't expect a return on anything you put into it other than enjoyment.

Last edited:
Avast
BRS

How long does it take to you to get an inch of acropora growth? (on average)

• A couple of weeks or less

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Up to 1 month

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Up to 2 months

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Up to 3 months

Votes: 38 16.8%
  • Up to 6 months

Votes: 51 22.6%
  • Up to 12 months

Votes: 17 7.5%