How much fish to keep

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m pretty new (14) and have been keeping a 60 gallon reef by myself and help from a guy at the LFS. I wanted to know if I could keep a kole tang and dartfish as right now I’ve got 5xChromis, 2xanthias, 2xclownfish and a mandarin....
I have cheato and skimmer which both are pretty productive

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m pretty new (14) and have been keeping a 60 gallon reef by myself and help from a guy at the LFS. I wanted to know if I could keep a kole tang and dartfish as right now I’ve got 5xChromis, 2xanthias, 2xclownfish and a mandarin....
Hold on you're 14? Lucky you. I started at 14 a year ago and only have a 20g, plus a 5g QT which im hoping to turn into a goby/shrimp tank

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias tend to fight if I’m not mistaken, though 60 may be enough space to spread out the aggression.
Chromis are highly aggressive to each other and those 5 will soon become 1-2.
Personally I’d pass on the tang. 4 foot tank is enough for that species, but it would appreciate a 18 inch width of a 75 over the 12 inches of the 60.
Dart fish should be okay, what species?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish rookie 07

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias tend to fight if I’m not mistaken, though 60 may be enough space to spread out the aggression.
Chromis are highly aggressive to each other and those 5 will soon become 1-2.
Personally I’d pass on the tang. 4 foot tank is enough for that species, but it would appreciate a 18 inch width of a 75 over the 12 inches of the 60.
Dart fish should be okay, what species?
The scissortail dartfish, the anthias and chromis have been there for months as they go round as 1 school and don’t fight too much

Upvote 0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on you're 14? Lucky you. I started at 14 a year ago and only have a 20g, plus a 5g QT which im hoping to turn into a goby/shrimp tank

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
Fish rookie 07

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahah yeah my parents love to watch so they find but don’t want to take care which I like and is in the dinning room :)). But I had to work with a small 40L fresh water for 4years so it wasn’t quick!! The cleaner shrimp steal my Nems food but they’re great to watch

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish rookie 07

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou all, much appreciated feedback, wont try with a tang but pretty content that the dartfish will work :)

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried two Kole Tangs in an 80 (at different times) and both turned into bullies. I second the dwarf angel idea. A coral beauty is usually pretty safe.

Upvote 0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahah yeah my parents love to watch so they find but don’t want to take care which I like and is in the dinning room :)). But I had to work with a small 40L fresh water for 4years so it wasn’t quick!! The cleaner shrimp steal my Nems food but they’re great to watch
I never actually had any experience with aquariums when I started during quarantine (I needed something cool to do XD ). I originally just planned on keeping clownfish so I went to petsmart and bought a 20g starter kid with white LEDs, went to an LFS and bought some Live rock and sand. Got the fish, then became addicted to the hobby and a few months later got some corals for my birthday.
Lucky you though, how I wish I had 60 gallons to work with XD

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish rookie 07

Fish rookie 07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never actually had any experience with aquariums when I started during quarantine (I needed something cool to do XD ). I originally just planned on keeping clownfish so I went to petsmart and bought a 20g starter kid with white LEDs, went to an LFS and bought some Live rock and sand. Got the fish, then became addicted to the hobby and a few months later got some corals for my birthday.
Lucky you though, how I wish I had 60 gallons to work with XD
Oh wow, yeah it’s a bit addictive but I try stay with the fish though I love coral I have only successfully kept the very basics and the price just racks up after that . Good luck with the 20Gal, you tried any Nems as I find them easier then corals as they choose the optimum spot for you...

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, yeah it’s a bit addictive but I try stay with the fish though I love coral I have only successfully kept the very basics and the price just racks up after that . Good luck with the 20Gal, you tried any Nems as I find them easier then corals as they choose the optimum spot for you...
Don't get a nem until the tank matures. Usually 6 months minimum

Upvote 0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to try a BTA again, last time I had some issues with salinity and my water got too salty and it died. But if I keep my salinity in check I should do well.

Upvote 0
Back